went out with my binoculars today to check on the rata trees.

i saw that at least 80% of the trees, northern and southern rata are covered in buds.

some have even opened and i saw bees in them.

this is at least 6 weeks  early.

the bees are also busy in the hinau trees.

everything here is flowering as if it life depended on it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The hawthorn has had a massive flowering this year the nectar is dripping out of the comb 

went out with my binoculars today to check on the rata trees. i saw that at least 80% of the trees, northern and southern rata are covered in buds. some have even opened and i saw bees in th

Hi Kaihoka "C" - Thanks for that info - carnt wait to get over in the next few weeks to see the spectacular colours again particularly with those wonderfull old trees down your way.

There have been no possums here for nearly 10 years.

It could be climatic.

When my queen mated here recently I went back over our weather station records.

This October has been about 3 degrees warmer and  a lot wetter and less windy than last October.

Also the wind has been from different directions.

My queen mated in a soueasterly . Unusual for this time of year .

Do you have Hinau trees in Auckland .

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Jaspur M said:

What would be the flowering length on rata? Im thinking of taking a hive into a spot to try get some for the table but havnt heard much about it

Depends a lot on weather and season .

There are a few flowers open on some of the trees already and I heard bees in them .

But the bulk of flowering is normally for a month from middle of Dec to middle of January .

The trees  will start to flower later further down the coast .

Have the trees you have seen got buds on ? Just cause it's good here is no guarantee it will be good in other places.

The Rata flowers on last year's wood not this year's New growth.

If the tree has not flowered before the pinky colored new leaves grow it is not going  flower to that season. There could be scattered flowers on parts of the tree but not a full flower.

If the weather is right the bees will collect rata in preference to anything else .

One big tree in full flower will fill a super . I have watched hives under big rata trees  flying straight up and down all day .

It would be the same under giant flowering gums I think ..

17 hours ago, Jaspur M said:

What would be the flowering length on rata? Im thinking of taking a hive into a spot to try get some for the table but havnt heard much about it

hi

forgot to mention if you want to check for buds on the rata take a good pair of binoculars