Grant

November 2017 Beekeeping Diary

19 minutes ago, M4tt said:

The NIWA soil moisture deficit map this week tells the story 

https://www.niwa.co.nz/static/climate/smd_anom.png?1234

That’s crazy isn’t it? A few weeks ago we were all saturated and the weather was appalling. It always happens up here in the Waikato at least, when it rains for months on end you end up with a long dry. I am watering the veggie garden every second day now.

My parents down in Levin said that they are on water restrictions already.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, dansar said:

That’s crazy isn’t it? A few weeks ago we were all saturated and the weather was appalling. It always happens up here in the Waikato at least, when it rains for months on end you end up with a long dry. I am watering the veggie garden every second day now.

My parents down in Levin said that they are on water restrictions already.

Does your ground crack open in the summer.

on the dairy farms up the valley the very wet  compacted ground of winter has turned to cracked concrete in the dry .

It's a quick turn around alright. I going in 2 wheel drive where the quad worked hard a few shorts weeks back. Oh for a crystal ball! Summer storm deluges, flooding or a drought? Nectar pouring in at some sites and not so much at others. What will the next month bring????

16 minutes ago, Ali said:

It's a quick turn around alright. I going in 2 wheel drive where the quad worked hard a few shorts weeks back. Oh for a crystal ball! Summer storm deluges, flooding or a drought? Nectar pouring in at some sites and not so much at others. What will the next month bring????

Rain I hope 

10 hours ago, kaihoka said:

on the dairy farms up the valley the very wet  compacted ground of winter has turned to cracked concrete in the dry .

Yes. Exactly the same . It gets cracked and hard and crickets will live in the cracks later on . 

If it goes too far, the hard clay Country then gets soft and powdery and the pasture plants completely die. The latter doesn’t happen often 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, M4tt said:

Yes. Exactly the same . It gets cracked and hard and crickets will live in the cracks later on . 

If it goes too far, the hard clay Country then gets soft and powdery and the pasture plants completely die. The latter doesn’t happen often 

you would hope not :(

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Thanks for posting that link it’s very interesting 

are you having a great start to the season with all the hot settled weather and no wind. ?

16 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Yes, same as @M4tt crickets live in the cracks. I have just come back from a site and the paddocks are already show signs of moisture stress. The silage has been cut, cows have grazed paddocks and the grass has not grown back , rather stalky tuffty bits. We could do with the the predicted thunder storms happening and letting some moisture go.

On the plus side I get to drive in twowheel drive to parts of the farm to look a some new apiaries sites.

7FA0516F-A854-4822-913F-5EE87CC03E03.thumb.jpeg.9d06827ffc561a1b704f3b8cec11ffd8.jpeg

• Like 2

@dansar are crickets bad, or is it their babies that are bad.

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

@dansar are crickets bad, or is it their babies that are bad.

The cricket nymphs (I think that’s their name) eat the grass roots/new growth. Adults are just blimmen noisy at night.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dansar said:

The silage has been cut, cows have grazed paddocks and the grass has not grown back , rather stalky tuffty bits.

7FA0516F-A854-4822-913F-5EE87CC03E03.thumb.jpeg.9d06827ffc561a1b704f3b8cec11ffd8.jpeg

I wish my paddocks would "not grow back" the way yours have. Everything around here is brown since cutting. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob Stockley said:

I wish my paddocks would "not grow back" the way yours have. Everything around here is brown since cutting. 

Very close to a green drought here I think.

My crew have spent 3 days up country boxing hives and the girls are filling them with the target flowers so all is good, looking like a sneaky harvest there next mid month... 

a trip over the pass to the magical west coast in a fortnight to blow bees out of boxes of Kamahi and replace with more empties should be fun then back east to box box box. 

Plenty of nights spent in the swag and plenty more to come. 

• Like 3

Pohutukawa starting to flower!! Looking a lot better than.last season...time will tell.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Phil46 said:

Pohutukawa starting to flower!! Looking a lot better than.last season...time will tell.

Sounds like the start of December thread just became official.

• Like 1