Paulownia Strips for OA/GL Treatment instead of cloth

Okay you experts. I have a guy sending me some samples of Paulownia strips 300mm x 35mm x 1.5mm. How do you reckon these will go soaked for a couple of days with OA/GL mixture 25/25 then drained on a cake rack.

Comments please

Edited by Guest

Let us know how you go with them !

Thanks, will do.

Waiting to hear a comment or two from a few others as to how many strips per B/Box and for how long etc etc. I figure that once they have been drained (on a cake rack or the like) They can be kept in an airtight container until use. And, they can be re-soaked/re-used (if the Bees don't eat the strips). Stronger than cloth or SCA type towels. Brain started ticking after someone on the Forum suggested Balsawood.

Its just a crazy idea I thought was worth a try.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, SteelerB said:

And, they can be re-soaked/re-used (if the Bees don't eat the strips). Stronger than cloth or SCA

I'm almost dead sure the idea is that the bees DO demolish the strips. It's how they get the oxalic spread around.

• Agree 1

I think someone suggested trying egg carton because it soaks up well and will get picked apart and removed by the bees, hence spreading the OA around... 

i want ant to try this out too this season. 

Still going to follow thru with my "Mad Chemist" idea.  8x Strips per b/box

My question would be,

Will the liquid that the wood absorbs be the same ratio of OA/GL that is in the mixing pot and will the Liquid that is released from the surface of the timber medium in the hive be the same again.

The worst situation would be if the wood allowed the GL in but not the OA

Any Chemists out there

How will you attach strips that length to a frame?

The strips we've made are 45cm I think and drape over the top of a frame giving strip coverage on either side.

I'm using three of these on brood frames - ie six frame sides are covered - in each brood box.

Re the Maggi method, that's what we're all doing, but @Philbee raises good questions about whether the medium 

ie Paulownia will do what you need it to do.

Re time in the brood box I intend to just leave mine in there until the bees remove them or they are breaking

apart.

Plastic coated paper clips bent at right angles in the middle, or tooth picks thru a 1.5 - 2mm hole.  My understanding is that Paulownia is a cellulose material like Balsa? Worth a try.

On 11/1/2017 at 1:08 PM, CHCHPaul said:

I think someone suggested trying egg carton because it soaks up well and will get picked apart and removed by the bees, hence spreading the OA around... 

i want ant to try this out too this season. 

I’ve got some in now, have them between frames like normal strips, they are slowly removing them, I found that they took up a lot of oxalic so hopefully it stays active longer 

Paulownia is naturally  pretty waterproof, i use it to make surfboards - don't know how much absorption you'll get.