Suniti

Varroa control

Hi,

I hope am in the right place to ask the question.

I been having bees since last Dec, so everything is new to me.

I treated my hive (only one hive)9 weeks ago with two apivar strips.  There are still large varroa mites counts, yesterday's 24 hours counts were 20 mites. I also saw mite on bee. After checking with a bee keeper , I realised that I didn't put the strips in properly-- oneside of the strip sticked  to the comb. I only fitted the strips in properly yesterday (hang the strip between the frames with the help of a tooth pick.) There is only one week left for the treatment to come off.

I only changed the bottom board from solid board to screen board about 6 weeks ago. before that, I think the bees will carry the fallen mites back to the frames ? The last autumn varroa treatment was two strips of Bayvoral. But I didn't know i need to do the mites count. 

These are two things(wrong fitting of the strips and using of solid bottom board) that I can think of why the treatment hasn't worked.

In this situation What can I do to control varroa now? I hope its not too late ;/

Thank you.

Suniti

I'd put in two more Apivar, making sure they're properly located. And two per brood box, not two per hive. 

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

I'd put in two more Apivar, making sure they're properly located. And two per brood box, not two per hive. 

Correct.  Those first strips are done.  Remove them.  Then put 2 strips per brood box for 10 weeks.

7 minutes ago, Suniti said:

The last autumn varroa treatment was two strips of Bayvoral.

This should have been 4 strips of Bayvarol per brood box.  Sounds like you are under treating your bees.

• Agree 3

the other thing is where did you get the strips from?

they typically come in packs of 10, so you end up wasting 8 if you only treat one hive (one brood box).

some people split a pack, but there is a risk of it not working well if the pack is opened a day or more before use.

Thanks to you all for your respond.

I did split a pack with a bee keeping group member and used them on the day.

• Like 2