jamesc

Manuka standards

3 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Has anyone sold any Manuka honey yet? 

Have you tested your honey under the new standard @Maru Hoani ?

im wondering how most people are testing their honey, do you do a batch test first and if that looks promising do you then test every drum ?

15 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

I put mega bee patties in just before the flow starts to give them something to get by on

It seems that chasing Manuka honey is tricky in so many ways.

It's a shame that such an inconvenient honey  turned out to be the most valuable one .

On 19/12/2017 at 8:55 AM, beefree said:

I heard a rumor that honey buyers are offering $6 per kg for multifloral?

Your rumor might be no more than a rumour. The extractor/packer we've used in the past is offering $10 for light amber this season. If buyers were offering $6 then I wouldn't expect they'd be buying much.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

On 12/22/2017 at 8:21 AM, kaihoka said:

It seems that chasing Manuka honey is tricky in so many ways.

It's a shame that such an inconvenient honey  turned out to be the most valuable one .

The difficulty is part of the value.

If the same properties were in Clover Honey then the extra volumes available  would decrease the value

• Like 1

On 12/18/2017 at 12:20 AM, flash4cash said:

The way I see it if I understand it correctly, the chemical markers can be brought online and added.  Then you just need  Manuka pollen, whip that all together and hey presto Manuka honey.  

I could see the value of Manuka pollen going up a lot.  So just put pollen traps out the front and catch that.  Feed protien paddies the whole time to feed the new bees, so they will not eat the valuable Manuka pollen.  

If you need a bit of 'active' Manuka then blend in jellybush.

In in the end where there is a will and $$ there is a way.  I think there will be a reduction in Manuka honey volume but less that people think.  The limiting factor is really Manuka pollen. 

Perhaps the beekeeping industry would gain huge credibility if beekeepers who were actively looking for ways to rip of the system, and screwing it up for everyone else, were removed from the scene. Sorry, but what you are suggesting is, quite frankly, a disgrace. Having already informed everyone that you were taught how to rip off the system, you are now promoting fraud.
Perhaps admins could put a stop to knowingly promoting illegal and dishonest comments.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhilEvans said:

Perhaps admins could put a stop to knowingly promoting illegal and dishonest comments.

C'mon, what happened to free speech ?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, PhilEvans said:

Perhaps the beekeeping industry would gain huge credibility if beekeepers who were actively looking for ways to rip of the system, and screwing it up for everyone else, were removed from the scene. Sorry, but what you are suggesting is, quite frankly, a disgrace. Having already informed everyone that you were taught how to rip off the system, you are now promoting fraud.

It's really no different to buying MGO from China by the barrel and adding it to honey. 

If weaknesses in the Manuka standard are discussed widely then there's a chance we might strengthen the standard.  I think @flash4cash is doing the industry a service by bringing up this possibility. 

This admin says, "carry on".

Edited by Rob Stockley
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, yesbut said:

C'mon, what happened to free speech ?

So racism, homophobia, Nazism, white supremacist etc etc are also free speech but must be countered and challenged, and named and shamed to reduce their negative impact. Not sure I comprehend how any beekeeper, hobbyist or commercial, would agree that promoting something that puts the whole industry to shame can be tolerated.

• Chill Out 1

Calm down @PhilEvans. Let's discuss the original post in a civil manner.

If this pollen adulteration is possible then how could it be detected and/or prevented. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Rob Stockley said:

It's really no different to buying MGO from China by the barrel and adding it to honey. 

If weaknesses in the Manuka standard are discussed widely then there's a chance we might strengthen the standard.  I think @flash4cash is doing the industry a service by bringing up this possibility. 

This admin says, "carry on".

but @flash4cash is also putting fraud into commercial operators minds, and to me, that is disgraceful. The way the comment is worded, is clear to me that he//she will now be working out how he/she can rip of the industry and consumers by purposefully faking his/her honey. I suggested he/she rip up her/his degree, and that should happen. Not going to apologise for saying this person is a disgrace to beekeeping. And before anyone suggests I get over it, NO, I will never tolerate fraud or deception.

1 minute ago, Rob Stockley said:

Calm down @PhilEvans. Let's discuss the original post in a civil manner.

If this pollen adulteration is possible then how could it be detected and/or prevented. 

To start with, it needs to be slammed and anyone suggesting it as even possible should be shut down. Allowing comments like that increase the probability that someone would do it. Not sure I understand how blase people are about things like this.  

Cool down, take deep breath, have a relax and realise that your chain may be being pulled ...

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, PhilEvans said:

To start with, it needs to be slammed and anyone suggesting it as even possible should be shut down. Allowing comments like that increase the probability that someone would do it. Not sure I understand how blase people are about things like this.  

If it is possible then I want the standard strengthened so that it's not possible. If @flash4cash made the suggestion for personal gain then why say anything at all. I took the OP meaning as devil's advocate. 

Stick to your morals - absolutely. But ignoring it through censorship won't make it go away. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tudor said:

Cool down, take deep breath, have a relax and realise that your chain may be being pulled ...

Not so. @flash4cash has previously mentioned his/her degree training involved being taught how to fraudulently produce food products. Staggering how many people think that is OK.

If it is possible then I want the standard strengthened so that it's not possible. If @flash4cash made the suggestion for personal gain then why say anything at all. I took the OP meaning as devil's advocate. 

Stick to your morals - absolutely. But ignoring it through censorship won't make it go away. 

@flash4cash has already commented that he/she has a degree in how to make fake food.  That is not devils advocate, that is advocating fraud. I didnt say to censor, I suggested openly name and shame, but sadly no-one seems to want to criticise fraud promotion.

• Stirrer 1
  • Chill Out 1

@PhilEvans, if someone is so greedy most likely it will be detected before succeeding. While we have more bkpers than ever it is still a small community in a small country.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kiwi Bee said:

@PhilEvans, if someone is so greedy most likely it will be detected before succeeding. While we have more bkpers than ever it is still a small community in a small country.

I spoke to a former worker from a commercial setup during last week who said she would never buy supermarket honey because of the fraud and levels of mixing syrup and blending then claiming something other than what the honey actually is, is rampant in NZ's honey industry.
I would suggest their is far too much complacency when there is probably far more fraud going on that anyone has the guts to admit. Many of the comments from commercial operators regarding the new manuka standards are about how hard it is going to be, and how difficult numbering honey boxes will be, and what the actual guidelines mean. For goodness sake, it is about stopping the many charlatans from ripping everyone off, you commercial operators should be jumping on this and commenting ways on how CAN do things, rather than whinging. 

I have no problem shouting loudly about the levels of fraud in the industry. If you are guilty of it, or know it happens where you work etc, then you should be ashamed. Staying quiet is not the right thing to do, and just proves you have more interest in your own pockets than bees, or the end consumers that you are ripping off.

And don't tell me to calm down because it aint gonna happen.

• Haha 1

It didn't take anywhere near as long finding Phil's tickly spot as it did M4tts eh !

• Haha 5

No. I read that he lamented the fact that his degree taught him that commercial food may be bulked out with air and water. I missed the bit where he endorsed this practice. 

I suggested he rip up the degree, and he said he thought about it, but then decided that since it was such a common practice, he might as well join in... Its as if he accepted that because it was taught, and everyone else was doing it, then it was OK. Sorry, but no, fraud is NEVER OK, and should NEVER be supported or ignored.

8 minutes ago, PhilEvans said:

I would suggest their is far too much complacency when there is probably far more fraud going on that anyone has the guts to admit.

Respectfully I disagree. I think that adulteration of honey likely  happens after the honey leaves New Zealand. 

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

no commercials that I know of would even think of mixing syrup with honey let alone actually doing it.

She meant that most hives were fed syrup constantly usually from about November through to March, and it was constantly being topped up meaning the bees were storing it and capping it, and it ended up being extracted.

50 minutes ago, PhilEvans said:

but @flash4cash is also putting fraud into commercial operators minds,

I understand what you're getting at, but i imagine that commercial operators are already thinking of how to beat the standard, guaranteed the post you are concerned about won't provide them anything they don't already know.

Great thing about having it discussed publicly is that a groundswell of opposition to this fraud is more likely to result in something being done to prevent it...

regarding the sugar syrup thing, honey gets tested for syrup levels via a carbon test thing - it can't be sold if it fails that test (or something like that anyway)

Edited by tommy dave
  • Agree 2