jamesc

Manuka standards

1 hour ago, Chris Valentine said:

At least they could give us a date like October 2018 to number all boxes 

@Chris Valentine they've given until December 2018: MPI issued the Notice in December 2017 but the new rules don't all take effect immediately. For example, beekeepers have until December 2018 to assign ID numbers to their honey boxes.

about halfway down the page under a heading "How and when to comply" on this page: https://www.mpi.govt.nz/growing-and-harvesting/honey-and-bees/manuka-honey/

• Like 1

I plan to follow the letter of the law and all my boxes will be assigned the number one. Everyone else please feel free to choose their own number. What a load of bumf, it's so badly worded as to be unintelligible. It all end up in the tank together anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, john berry said:

I plan to follow the letter of the law and all my boxes will be assigned the number one. Everyone else please feel free to choose their own number. What a load of bumf, it's so badly worded as to be unintelligible. It all end up in the tank together anyway.

Exactly! I been putting pallet cards on each honey pallet with dates, site names and box numbers and it all goes into the same batch anyway.  

Edited by Maru Hoani
Incorrect word

1 hour ago, john berry said:

I plan to follow the letter of the law and all my boxes will be assigned the number one.

I must be missing something because I can't find anywhere telling me to make up new numbers. The GREX clearly states that our beekeeper registration is the number required on honey boxes. 

Screenshot_20171212-200033.thumb.jpg.114a263ac235ff8b2f699971647404c6.jpg

Hmmm thinking about it, paint isn't really permanent. Might be a good time to invest in a CNC mill and start making brands. 

Edited by Rob Stockley

That seems fairly unambiguous so why the ambiguous that about boxes and supers.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@Maru Hoaniyou might be able to sell your honey now !

Hopefully I can get a good price and write up an invoice soon

The way I read it on the Mpi site all I’m required to put on my honey boxes is my registration number. 

Seems the email they sent out is poorly worded. 

As for the new standard....I had all my Manuka samples tested under the proposed standards which past as mono floral Manuka. One sample had a npa of 14 with a reasonable dha. Although under the new standards it would be non Manuka missing out by .3 on the new marker level.

how long before they go back to the drawing board again.

future problems will be convincing land owners that there once paid for site is not worth paying for now due to the honey harvested from that site no longer being able to be called manuka

5 hours ago, jamesc said:

Well there ya have it  ... maybe the bubble is about to burst and we can all get on with the business  eeking out a living from the  bees at world prices ..... which should free up a lot of competition for sites.

I'm not sure I totally understand the wording with regard to the  numbering of honey boxes .....individual honey boxes don't need numbers but supers do. Or have I missed the point somewhere ?

My understanding of that is

If supers are sorted on site to make up full boxes it is only the number on the box that heads to the extractor that needs to be identified

• Confused 1

Well! After all the song and dance we are back to where we were with a slight tweak to one requirement! How did that take sooooooooooooooo long to achieve?

• Agree 1

On 10/2/2016 at 12:06 PM, fieldbee said:

Next question: What are the our nz stock piles of lowgrade honey standing at. Anyone got any ideas?

Our stocks are good !

7 hours ago, Philbee said:

My understanding of that is

If supers are sorted on site to make up full boxes it is only the number on the box that heads to the extractor that needs to be identified

So is it a unique number to each box or the same number for all the boxes or....

1 minute ago, frazzledfozzle said:

So is it a unique number to each box or the same number for all the boxes or....

well the way I see it ..... all our boxes have nait tags inserted .... so as they are sitting on escapes we just scan the stacks and dump the numbers into the Cloud and heypresto ..... sorted. numbers collated, GPS location recorded, time and date stamped. Thanks to the genius who put that together for us .

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jamesc said:

well the way I see it ..... all our boxes have nait tags inserted .... so as they are sitting on escapes we just scan the stacks and dump the numbers into the Cloud and heypresto ..... sorted. numbers collated, GPS location recorded, time and date stamped. Thanks to the genius who put that together for us .

And then hey presto that company now holds all the information on where your honey came from and how many supers where harvested from the site....let’s see if they end up selling up to comvita or the likes.

I think Mpi need to clarify what they are asking to be done as they contradict them selves. 

Maybe they will have another road show trip around the country ?

1 hour ago, NorthBee said:

I think Mpi need to clarify what they are asking to be done as they contradict them selves. 

Maybe they will have another road show trip around the country ?

Where is it said that boxes need anything more than our registration numbers? I can't find that in the GREX so it must have been in an email or other communication that I haven't seen. 

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Rob Stockley said:

Where is it said that boxes need anything more than our registration numbers? I can't find that in the GREX so it must have been in an email or other communication that I haven't seen. 

I agree with you there Rob, tho the email they sent out and what it says in the grex contradict each other.

could be alot of people out there numbering there supers 1 to 1004

25 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Yes @Rob StockleyI think you are right but the way they said it in the email led me to believe each box needed to have an individual number.

Thanks. Perhaps that email went to my junk folder.  Coincidence?

3 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Not sure 

However if you consider the objective which is tracability then each "box" (box being a container that goes to the extractor) would have a number that traces back to a particular GPS site.

Since the "box" is not deemed a "super" then there is no point trying to trace that individual box throughout the seasons because in theory that box could be an apple box.

So, each super is identifiable and traceable to a site and each box of produced honey is traceable back to a site or group of supers.

I guess this indicates that Honey prices will hold????
Lol....

Dear Beekeepers & Honey Suppliers,

Please find below the email from  MPI  containing release docs.

It is very important that you read through all of the documents so you have an understanding of what is expected of you and your honey for this current season.

There will be a considerable rise in lab testing costs for your honey for these new manuka markers and we will also require a C4 sugar test for each batch of honey. The results of such test need to be lower than 7% to be exportable to many countries.

At least everyone now has a standard to work too, it will be interesting to see how the industry looks after Honey is tested and buyers have bought.

how many of us will be left with honey no one wants is too early to tell.

please excuse my ignorance if this has been outlined somewhere.

really don't want to start up the discussion if karnuka should be classified as manuka.

just want to know

according to these new standards is it better to avoid karnuka in your manuka harvest to make it more likely to pass standards or will karnuka be beneficial to reach standards?

33 minutes ago, tom sayn said:

according to these new standards is it better to avoid karnuka in your manuka harvest to make it more likely to pass standard

Yes

33 minutes ago, tom sayn said:

or will karnuka be beneficial to reach standards?

No

If I were a commercial aiming for high standard Manuka I'd avoid absolutely everything else !

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Yes

No

If I were a commercial aiming for high standard Manuka I'd avoid absolutely everything else !

If there was a choice or preference, would it be desirable to have Kanuka in your Manuka or Clover in your Manuka

With this new standard will be less "High grade" NZ Manuka on the market.

That will push the price up more. What will the landowners say? How many more new Manuka Hunters will rise over night?

If we have to share information such "how much honey came from each hive and  site" will be no beneficial to ourselves. As someone said above - those interested will "pay" for info such "where and what type of honey comes in large/abundant quantity" so they can move in/over you.

If I read this correctly it will be harder for the packers to blend the Manuka from now on.

Certainly a new war will emerge between those who try to make a living out of beekeeping and the greedy ones.

We all have to chew on the wording of the new standards till next season.

MPI should put up videos on their website with CLEAR explanations showing several real situations in apiaries and explaining step by step what and how(to leave no possibilities for miss interpretation of the new rules/standards) - they should have the money for that by now.