On 11/27/2017 at 10:47 PM, kaihoka said:

When was the last good season .

How was the weather different than the last 2 years .

The best season I had was 2013 everything was full, unfortunately I only had a few hundred hives then and the flower and whether just hasn't been the same. 

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@tommy dave it is very easy for beekeepers who extract their own honey to identify Manuka. Firstly the hives location. Then when extracting It's sticky as, has a distinct aroma & taste and is some

I have to respectfully disagree with this ladies assumption, the person she was working with may have been pouring sugar into hives during honey gathering time, but to then lump all commercial operato

You met one beekeeper. you don't know her full name or who she worked for. She said some nasty stuff about her former employer. Based on her testimony and your experience to date ... the entire NZ bee

Posted Images

On 12/1/2017 at 10:25 PM, flash4cash said:

Yes actually I was looking at that yesterday, part of me feels I should do some honey instead of just sell bees so I feel like a real beekeeper. 

Has MPI brought in there hive/frame tracking rule?  That puts me off doing honey if they have

They're going to stuff the industry. Winston needs to sack the lot of them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, Maru Hoani said:

The best season I had was 2013 everything was full, unfortunately I only had a few hundred hives then and the flower and whether just hasn't been the same. 

They say with bee keeping it's a good season 1 in 5 .

So next season could be good again .

If you can just hang on in there you may have the place to yourself and all the flakey cowboys have left .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Meanwhile Australia are romping ahead with the marketing of their “Manuka” honey.

if something isn’t sorted soon NZ won’t have a Manuka Honey market. 

Is Manuka a big part of your honey income .

Are you having a good season . I have nearly full nearly  capped  supers on my hives 

I am running a single box on one hive and it is a better idea if you want lots of honey.

Lots of Manuka flowering but too much rata flowering for bees to be interested.

Well we now have confirmation of the level of BS thrown at us from so called experts.

The "Manuka" I have that is rich dark flavour, so thixotropic it holds a spoon upright, and has passed all previous tests, is now not even classified as "Manuka Blend" as 2MAP level is only 3, not the required 5.

I have no idea how the No 5 was adapted, or their peer reviewed data, but if anyone can explain, be my guest

I've received an email announcing the release of the definition.  

"The final scientific definition for mānuka honey is made up of a combination of four chemical markers from nectar and one DNA marker from mānuka pollen.

The combination of markers separates mānuka honey from other types of honey and identifies monofloral mānuka honey and multifloral mānuka honey.

From 5 February 2018, all mānuka honey for export will have to be tested and meet MPI’s scientific definition before it can be sold overseas.

Information on the specific markers in the final definition can be found on MPI’s website: www.mpi.govt.nz/manuka-honey."

• Thanks 1

Well I’m in the dark I have no idea how that relates to anything in our area, will have to wait to see what others are saying as to how it fits into the scheme of things 

interesting they didn’t take on board the UMF clubs leptosperin marker or any kind of NPA level.

im not happy about labeling every honey box I guess I guess we will start from number 1 and work our way up 

i hope we don’t have to write down each box number from each site as it goes on the truck for extraction

Edited by frazzledfozzle
21 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Does anyone know how it differs from the first standard ?

Only difference I can see is 2-Methoxyacetophenone marker has gone from 1 to 5 mg/kg. I want someone to explain why the change and what it actually means, but could be a big issue for Sth Is from what I am hearing

1 hour ago, Bushy said:

Only difference I can see is 2-Methoxyacetophenone marker has gone from 1 to 5 mg/kg. I want someone to explain why the change and what it actually means, but could be a big issue for Sth Is from what I am hearing

We never got our honey tested under the standard they first brought out that created the rethink that has brought about this standard so have no idea how it will affect our honey..

I think our honey was used mostly as a blending honey as it’s mostly kanuka rather than Manuka and thixotropic. 

Whether it’s still wanted for blending who would know but it will be very interesting times ahead with a bumper flow in most parts of NZ.

Well there ya have it  ... maybe the bubble is about to burst and we can all get on with the business  eeking out a living from the  bees at world prices ..... which should free up a lot of competition for sites.

I'm not sure I totally understand the wording with regard to the  numbering of honey boxes .....individual honey boxes don't need numbers but supers do. Or have I missed the point somewhere ?

9 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I'm not sure I totally understand the wording with regard to the  numbering of honey boxes .....individual honey boxes don't need numbers but supers do. Or have I missed the point somewhere ?

They way I read it, the only number required on supers is our unique beekeeper number. 

Not sure how to report the number of supers per apiary. Most of the year it would be zero, peak before harvest then back to near zero before winter. Refilling wets mid season would also skew things. Imagine 120 boxes harvested from an apiary with only 60 boxes. Some pen pusher will think we're making it up.