jamesc

Manuka standards

I wonder how much of that gain is off-set by the negative effects of Varroa.  I've heard people say that the number of hives one bk could look after has halved, throw in the cost of strips, reduced hive health / strength, hive losses, Queen lifespan, drone viability, management time etc it must be very significant.  

3 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I’m not 100% sure but I think $6kg for Bush honey didn’t happen until after Manuka took off.

pre Manuka we were getting around $2.75-$3kg also the price of queens was $12 

back then you had to run a lot more hives to make a living or work another job. 

Yeah nah .... we made a living then .... $2.10/ kg for clover .... $4.80 for manuka .... $56 to legalise the extracting room  with the local council .....$24 for a tank of diesel , $40 for groceries and happy at the pub on a friday night for $10 ..... and I even got to take three months off over the winter ..... so we expanded from 117 hives to 600 and then to 3000.  I haven'nt had a holiday for ten years, ten bucks did'nt even get me smiling at the pub last  friday night and I needed shares in Caltex to fill the f150. So we downscaled to a hobbyist operation, parked the F'y up for Special occasions-  birthdays and funerals -  and life is a lot sweeter. The world is round !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Varoa has certainly made more work and increased costs (and it's about to get a lot worse) but I suspect overall it has actually improved my bottom line. Spring and autumn in particular have been a lot better since varoa because there just aren't the number of feral hives round that there were. No one knows how many feral hives there were but it was at least one for one and probably a lot higher than that. Of course in the last couple of years all those gains have been lost due to the vast number of bee havers out there. God help us if we ever get resistant bees and feral's go back to their normal numbers. And God help us if we don't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@jamesc that must have been pre, pre Manuka I don’t think I have ever In my life paid $40 for groceries 

20 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@jamesc that must have been pre, pre Manuka I don’t think I have ever In my life paid $40 for groceries 

20 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Hmmm ..... after three years living in Asia you get pretty good at living simply,  ..... and rice and lentils are very cheap. 

Edited by jamesc

2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Hmmm ..... after three years living in Asia you get pretty good at cooking a vegetarian curry ..... and rice and lentils are very cheap. 

Producing Asian manuka for $4.80 kg ! 

Legend! 

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

Producing Asian manuka for $4.80 kg ! 

Legend! 

Huh ..... Kaikoura Manuka . learnt to live simply in Asia. Things have changed a bit since then.

Edited by jamesc

2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Huh ..... Kaikoura Manuka . learnt to live simply in Asia. Things have changed a bit since then.

There’s a lot to be said for simple living.. 

There’s a lot to be said for simple living.. 

Indeed .... which opens up a whole new topic ...... Jacinda wants us weaned off oil in the next 15 years or so, which is great as it means I can save quite a lot of cash on Stella's RUC's . But,  I was in Farmlands the other day buying gloves so I could immerse my hands in molten bees wax and got to looking around . Everything is made of an oil derivative.

How the heck are we gonna go cold turkey ?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jamesc said:

by force.  comrades!!!!!!!!  

Cold turkey ain't that bad... Just got through 13 days without hanging off a dart... 

surely biking to our bee sites singing kumbaya won't be too tough .. 

5 minutes ago, nab said:

by force.  comrades!!!!!!!!  

YesButt ..... life is gonna have to take a backward step and become a lot simpler ..... more regional and local, or as the late Stephen Hawkins said  maybe we all emigrate into space . Is'nt that where Heaven is ?

Oh... darn... the ol bike will have parts produced with the big O... 

horsepower it is then. 

3 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Cold turkey ain't that bad... Just got through 13 days without hanging off a dart... 

So, let me know when you plan to come back from youe bee site on yer bike with ten tonne of honey ..... still singing Kumbaya ?

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jamesc said:

So, let me know when you plan to come back from youe bee site on yer bike with ten tonne of honey ..... still singing Kumbaya ?

3 minutes ago, Stoney said:

hanging off a dart ?

who cares. 15 years is a long way away. the world police will poke Russia to many times and we will all be in space/haven before then. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, jamesc said:
3 minutes ago, jamesc said:

hanging off a dart ?

Sorry.. my slang for a gently hand rolled park drive blue carefully wrapped in a slow burning zig zag bluey. .. bad for my health (read marriage) and bank balance. 

• Like 1

you will be ok john. what is that old saying, something about hard to kill a cockroach.:ph34r:

Park Drive eh ...... I prefer  the smell off cheap cigars or Gaulloise ..... brings back memories of steamy evenings on the Franco Spanish border with even cheaper red wine.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Would you say the bulk of bee keepers would  have been better off if the Manuka honey bonanza had never happened.

Or did it enable beeks to have a decent income for the first time in a while .?

the bulk of beekeepers would not exist if the manuka honey bonanza had never happened.

• Like 1

I have always found cigarette smoke revolting and rejoice when somebody gives up but I have to say I feel sorry for some of those old fag addicts who were actually encouraged by the government to smoke at the time and they not only payed with their health but have to buy a product that makes even manuka seemed reasonably priced.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Jamo said:

the bulk of beekeepers would not exist if the manuka honey bonanza had never happened.

Most S.Island beekeeprs would probably still be here !

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

James must be old enough to remember days we never experienced 

57 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Indeed .... which opens up a whole new topic ...... Jacinda wants us weaned off oil in the next 15 years or so, which is great as it means I can save quite a lot of cash on Stella's RUC's . But,  I was in Farmlands the other day buying gloves so I could immerse my hands in molten bees wax and got to looking around . Everything is made of an oil derivative.

It's all carbon based  , there are other ways .

Has anyone used apibioxal . As far as I can see is just an expensive form of oxalic acid. I could really use any local information I can get on this product and why people use either it or generic oxalic acid. I could really uses information as part of some research I am doing and the outcome could be important for all of us.