Don’t you mean Winnie?

• Agree 1

Well I voted for Gareth solely on the proviso that I hate cats

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, tom sayn said:

fair enough to question the political moves that put the new government into power.

but i have to say that all attempts to smear the mpi mess on her are ridicules.

it was the the Key goverment that promised to lead the industry to glory and has failed us utterly.

what was she supposed to do?

say that the manuka and sugar standard are a hoax?   it would have been the end of manuka.

the new goverment was handed a load of crap to deal with. crap that the Key government created.

Sorry Tom to burst your bubble, when winnie and Damien O'Conner were in opposition, they were asking all the right questions on our behalf to MPI, so when they got in power we were thinking cool maybe now we will get some traction, sorry to say not so, winnies gone very quiet and in his mine Damien has sorted the problem out, he didn't even ask the same questions when he came into power. Jacinda wanted a clean first 100 days of no upsets, which she got. But we get the feeling now that the minister feel they may have reacted to quickly and seem to be a smidgeon and I only mean a smidgeon open to chatting a bit more, but we have ben here before so time will tell. 

3 hours ago, tom sayn said:

the new goverment was handed a load of crap to deal with. crap that the Key government created.

National have always been champions at handing over .....

2 hours ago, Daley said:

Well I voted for Gareth solely on the proviso that I hate cats

keep clear of her @yesbut

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Sorry Tom to burst your bubble, when winnie and Damien O'Conner were in opposition, they were asking all the right questions on our behalf to MPI, so when they got in power we were thinking cool maybe now we will get some traction, sorry to say not so, winnies gone very quiet and in his mine Damien has sorted the problem out, he didn't even ask the same questions when he came into power. Jacinda wanted a clean first 100 days of no upsets, which she got. But we get the feeling now that the minister feel they may have reacted to quickly and seem to be a smidgeon and I only mean a smidgeon open to chatting a bit more, but we have ben here before so time will tell. 

if national had stayed in power we would have had the exact same standard as we do now. only a few weeks earlier.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, tom sayn said:

if national had stayed in power we would have had the exact same standard as we do now. only a few weeks earlier.

Yep probably right by why did the coalition do nothing to change it after making all the right noises pre election??  Just watching the news tonight and Jacinda has got her fireman’s hat on again - she seems to be rushing to put one (political) fire out after another.  Being in govt is a lot harder than opposition!!!

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, tom sayn said:

not necessarily true, we were still at least talking to them, but now we will never know, it is what it is. im not saying that under national mpi were any easier to deal with, they weren't and they are still ######s to deal with.

It cracks me up how much of a hard time Jacinda is getting.

Cmon guys she’s actually not doing that badly, she got handed a bit of a mess with all the issues that National had been ignoring for the last 9 years.

It doesn’t really matter wether the govt is red or blue.

The main issue is that the people who make the decisions have no idea what they’re talking about as has been shown time and time again with this debacle, and they’re not willing to listen to the people who are in the industry and actually know what they’re talking about.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

As a hobbyist, I have no idea of the financials of a commercial enterprise. I believe the issue with the standard is that the value of manuka has dropped.  How long has the manuka boom lasted ? Long enough to get  beeks too used to  a Lexus rather than a Mazda.  Beeking is like any other primary producer, subject to market as well as heaps of other variables.  I  get annoyed with the authority bashing that goes on. It's all greed driven. If I was in the industry I'd ignore all the stuff going on, concentrate on making the best use of my time and energy commensurate with my desired lifestyle, sell my product for the best price I could and carry on enjoying the wonderful incredible place we call home.

Ducks for cover.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, yesbut said:

As a hobbyist, I have no idea of the financials of a commercial enterprise. I believe the issue with the standard is that the value of manuka has dropped.  How long has the manuka boom lasted ? Long enough to get  beeks too used to  a Lexus rather than a Mazda.  Beeking is like any other primary producer, subject to market as well as heaps of other variables.  I  get annoyed with the authority bashing that goes on. It's all greed driven. If I was in the industry I'd ignore all the stuff going on, concentrate on making the best use of my time and energy commensurate with my desired lifestyle, sell my product for the best price I could and carry on enjoying the wonderful incredible place we call home.

Ducks for cover.

hpc54Mx.png.836f20e1fb2c9161f25b74b91b29706a.png

• Like 2

Labour, National, they are all the same ..... should have voted Winston in for life years ago and we'd all be happy with  our slice of Pavlova Paradise.

• Stirrer 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Daley said:

It cracks me up how much of a hard time Jacinda is getting.

Cmon guys she’s actually not doing that badly, she got handed a bit of a mess with all the issues that National had been ignoring for the last 9 years.

It doesn’t really matter wether the govt is red or blue.

The main issue is that the people who make the decisions have no idea what they’re talking about as has been shown time and time again with this debacle, and they’re not willing to listen to the people who are in the industry and actually know what they’re talking about.

I am not sure if it has always been like that.

Once senior management often climbed through the ranks from a practical experience base.

I think that changed 20 yrs ago when people started moving sideways from academia to management and decision making .

This happened in forestry, building etc , lots of industries.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

14 hours ago, yesbut said:

Ducks for cover.

The problem I have is that manuka honey of med to high umf has a chemical reaction that results in a high C4 result even if hives haven't been feed or had access to syrup. This is a known fact for several honey types world wide and their governing bodies lobbied for those honeys to have exemptions. Our government doesn't seem to care, even though it means some potential high value honey cant be imported into countries with high demand for the honey. 

When the new standard came out and a whole lot of honey got down graded from mono to multifloral 

Mpi stepped in, with pressure from industry and sorted it out. 

Yet with this issue they don't care and no one seems to be advocating for manuka honey producers. 

If your livelihood depended on selling your honey im sure you would feel differently. 

We aren't a big company, like @Daley we work hard in our business and we aren't driving flash vehicles or going on holidays. To say that any one unhappy about the changes are greedy is a huge generalization and completely unfair. 

Edited by nikki watts
More to say on the aubjwxt
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

When the new standard came out and a whole lot of honey got down graded from mono to multifloral 

Mpi stepped in, with pressure from industry and sorted it out. 

Unfortunately this isn’t the case it is far from being sorted :( 

IMHO MPI have done a great deal of harm to the industry and are walking away leaving a big mess behind them.....

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Agree 3
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Unfortunately this isn’t the case it is far from being sorted :( 

IMHO MPI have done a great deal of harm to the industry and are walking away leaving a big mess behind them.....

You're right. improve would have been a better word. 

10 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

You're right. improve would have been a better word. 

Would you say the bulk of bee keepers would  have been better off if the Manuka honey bonanza had never happened.

Or did it enable beeks to have a decent income for the first time in a while .?

Edited by kaihoka

3 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Would you say the bulk of bee keepers would  have been better off if the Manuka honey bonanza had never happened.

It enabled beekeepers to have a better income no question.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I didn't have bees pre manuka (does that make me a bee haver?) but I would have thought beeks are better of now. 

Even if you don't sell manuka NZ honey has been brought to the worlds attention. 

When I said improved I was referring to when mpi re-worked the definition so more of the manuka that had previously been classed as manuka still could be. 

For the record our honey has always been mono floral manuka. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I would say we would be 100x better off maybe even 1000x because the money doesn’t make up for the amount of other rubbish that has come along with it.

I would rather still be getting $6 a kilo for multi and not having to worry about overcrowded sites and competition for feed, disease outbreaks from money grubbing cowboys hives, theft, vandalism, incorrect public perception, the list goes on.

You now need less hives to make a living for sure, which is very fortunate because the amount of losers around makes it a lot harder to keep them healthy and alive.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
  • Good Info 1

I’m not 100% sure but I think $6kg for Bush honey didn’t happen until after Manuka took off.

pre Manuka we were getting around $2.75-$3kg also the price of queens was $12 

back then you had to run a lot more hives to make a living or work another job. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 2