jamesc

Manuka standards

28 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Philbee is right. Varroa is the enemy number one and to have nice looking bees come out of winter we need to get  our management and treatement  spot on right now.  Teachers of bee courses need to be pushing varroa control big time, not just the synthetics but  the other options, such as O/A, otherwise you end up with a whole heap of dead bees in the spring, which is great for people selling nucs etc, but pretty demoralising for those  starting up.

agree completely, actions of the many affect the many - especially in areas of high hive density. It has been eye-opening to have hives in areas of high hive density vs what i was used to until a year or so ago. I mean, it's awesome in some ways to get a massive autumn robbing flow that will literally fill supers, but at the same time it's terrifying and i just hope that it's varroa not afb that's the problem my bees are exploiting... and the varroa re-infestation is just a pain in the arse.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, jamesc said:

HaHa ... I like that Gabor. "Have a lovely afternoon."

I did mean it.

Philbee is absolutely right on varroa. Is not on teachers, that was simple prejudice. Or maybe I was extremely lucky as varroa was not taken lightly on that particular course.

By the way I am chilled like the whole Mr. Whippy truckfleet :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

agree completely, actions of the many affect the many - especially in areas of high hive density. It has been eye-opening to have hives in areas of high hive density vs what i was used to until a year or so ago. I mean, it's awesome in some ways to get a massive autumn robbing flow that will literally fill supers, but at the same time it's terrifying and i just hope that it's varroa not afb that's the problem my bees are exploiting... and the varroa re-infestation is just a pain in the arse.

nobody questioned the seriousness of varroa destructor

I agree with a lot of the comments that the manuka standards will allow and lead to a lot of blending and I have had honey pass that I would not call manuka but I stick by what I have said that some honey that really is manuka is failing. Given the number of variables from the age of the honey to different manuka subspecies and probably lots of others I don't know why it's happening.
On another manuka related topic when I was selling my comb honey at the farmers market on Sunday I was asked if it is true that high UMF manuka honey cured cancer. This little gem of information apparently came from someone selling high UMF honey. A new low.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, tommy dave said:

buying in medium sized runs of honey to contract extract? or keeping everything in-house. Asking for a friend.

What do you call a medium size run? 

In house at the mo but will do some contract once we are experts, only punched around 30 drums through ... she's brand spanking 

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

What do you call a medium size run? 

In house at the mo but will do some contract once we are experts, only punched around 30 drums through ... she's brand spanking 

i'll get them to contact direct if it's a real story. If they're not prepared to stump up the donation to message on this site or figure out who you are and contact directly then they're clearly fos. I assumed a couple of tonnes ++ cos otherwise they should talk to the mini-run pay per kg charge for frame crews around the place.

17 hours ago, john berry said:

but I stick by what I have said that some honey that really is manuka is failing. Given the number of variables from the age of the honey to

it seems that the chemical markers correlate rather well with with dha.

but just like dha becomes mgo, the chemical markers probably change into something else.

i think it might be time for the honey taster as a profession.

19 hours ago, john berry said:

honey cured cancer. This little gem of information apparently came from someone selling high UMF honey. A new low.

This gem is about 8 years old
Emissary Quoted it in one of his fire and brimstone speeches 
It was in some very early advertising literature but it might be fair to say that even the most opportunist marketers would think twice these days before perpetuating that myth
However all sorts of people make all sorts of claims and an industry cant be held responsible for the curious question of this one person

• Agree 1

On 2/5/2018 at 8:02 PM, Gabor said:

nobody questioned the seriousness of varroa destructor

I had that once, I went to open hives in spring that I thought needed feeding and found they were completely full neck minit 5x AFB and all mited out

Back on the subject of Manuka Standards - FYI, at the two day conference in Hamilton this week there is a speaker from Analytica talking to the subject of “How much honey is missing the standard”. It might be worth the trip to listen, understand and ask questions. Pre registration is required. Information is in the event calendar on this site.

Edited by dansar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2018 at 8:01 PM, Gabor said:

simple prejudice.

Nup

I have no reason to be prejudice 
More like battle hardened and sometimes battle wary.

When  fresh new replacements skip past the retreating column toward hell, the wary soldiers can only hope these new guys make it through their first rotation alive if not in one piece.

Edited by Philbee

17 minutes ago, dansar said:

Back on the subject of Manuka Standards

guy, u really have to let it go now or take it somewhere else.

"guys" i wanted to say. nothing personal to anyone. sorry.

5 minutes ago, tom sayn said:

"guys" i wanted to say. nothing personal to anyone. sorry.

what are you on about?

i respectfully suggested that u take controversy if afb is worse than varroa somewhere else.

bad idea, i know.

should kept my mouth shut.

could have should have,....didn't

4 minutes ago, tom sayn said:

i respectfully suggested that u take controversy if afb is worse than varroa somewhere else.

bad idea, i know.

should kept my mouth shut.

could have should have,....didn't

you are right, this is the wrong thread

No need to be apologetic

And also you have your reasons and opinions just like the rest of us, its no big deal
Im sorry that you are feeling so uncomfortable 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tom sayn said:

1. you're right it is off topic

2. apparently you're not the only one who did not read carefully. it was not about varroa, it was about teachers and incorrect generalisation in statements

I'm out. sorry for the off

• Haha 1

On 05/02/2018 at 8:37 PM, john berry said:

On another manuka related topic when I was selling my comb honey at the farmers market on Sunday I was asked if it is true that high UMF manuka honey cured cancer. This little gem of information apparently came from someone selling high UMF honey. A new low.

Not so new...... See the bottom paragraph on this page from 2009 (internet archive)

https://web.archive.org/web/20091001165646/http://www.mgomanuka.com:80/methylglyoxal.cfm

" Medical researchers have found Methyglyoxal has potential to act specifically against malignant cells in the body. Early research has shown Methyglyoxal has a significant curative effect on animals affected by a wide range of cancers. " 

Under a picture of Professor Henle.

Well, two things immediately come to mind,. One, tanning lotion cures cancer, and two, taking manuka by mouth is definitely a waste of time if we already produce our own MGO !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Emissary said:

Not so new...... See the bottom paragraph on this page from 2009 (internet archive)

https://web.archive.org/web/20091001165646/http://www.mgomanuka.com:80/methylglyoxal.cfm

" Medical researchers have found Methyglyoxal has potential to act specifically against malignant cells in the body. Early research has shown Methyglyoxal has a significant curative effect on animals affected by a wide range of cancers. " 

Under a picture of Professor Henle.

Isnt this a bit of a turnaround Emissary

It wasn't long ago and you were blasting this notion

30 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Isnt this a bit of a turnaround Emissary

It wasn't long ago and you were blasting this notion

He's just linking what was published years ago.

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

He's just linking what was published years ago.

Yes I see now.

I was too quick too the draw

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

Yes I see now.

I was too quick too the draw

i think it's all this manuka standard bull sh.. . really makes you wanna shoot somebody

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, tom sayn said:

really makes you wanna shoot somebody

If you currently have a firearms licence or wish to get one it would be a good idea to ask admin if they could possibly remove this comment

luckily i don't and luckily for MPI, since i made it through the first half century without a firearm i don't see my self applying for a license  in a hurry.