OK Team ..... Manuka is starting to flower, Kanuka is thinking about it, Honey dew is flat tack and Clover in Canterbury is gonna be the mother of all seasons. So, this begs the question .... are we any closer to a resolution on the Manuka standard as the bees  are almost ready and contracts are sitting on the table waiting to be signed, but we need to know what we are signing up for ....

Edited by jamesc
  • Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@tommy dave it is very easy for beekeepers who extract their own honey to identify Manuka. Firstly the hives location. Then when extracting It's sticky as, has a distinct aroma & taste and is some

I have to respectfully disagree with this ladies assumption, the person she was working with may have been pouring sugar into hives during honey gathering time, but to then lump all commercial operato

You met one beekeeper. you don't know her full name or who she worked for. She said some nasty stuff about her former employer. Based on her testimony and your experience to date ... the entire NZ bee

Posted Images

The honey industry is a funny affair.

The dairy industry is pretty sure at the beginning of the season as to what the pay out will be.

We know exactly what our weaner deer will make us when they go to the works after christmas. We are reasonably confident about the beef schedule. And sheep .... well we turned the sheep shed into the bee workshop so they are not the issue .... BUT when it come to making the big decision on where to place over $2,000,000  worth of bees to gather the best return on investment, nobody will hazard a guess or venture a price as to what the honey will be worth. Something 'aint right here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
8 minutes ago, Jaspur M said:

Like the sound of a mother of all clover flow, who needs manuka ??

You home @jamesc? Ill give you a bell my messages options been cut apparently ??

Yep .... I'm home every night til we start chasing some nectar. Maybe you've been a naughty boy ?

Edited by jamesc
  • Haha 2

Yup exactly, how completely hopeless is MPI to still leave us hanging with decisions on where we place our hives and even if we should bother putting honey boxes on.

with so much unsold honey sitting in storage off the back of a bad season what will the market place be like if we have a boomer :(

one sure way of bringing an industry to its knees is to have a govt department sticking its nose in.

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Agree 4
2 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Yup exactly, how completely hopeless is MPI to still leave us hanging with decisions on where we place our hives and even if we should bother putting honey boxes on.

with so much unsold honey sitting in storage off the back of a bad season what will the market place be like if we have a boomer :(

It must be a very difficult time for some  commercial beeks now .

With market uncertainty and over stocking of areas and stealing of hives . all the fun must be  going out of it .

1 minute ago, kaihoka said:

It must be a very difficult time for some  commercial beeks now .

With market uncertainty and over stocking of areas and stealing of hives . all the fun must be  going out of it .

Ah no, Oh Windswept One ... this is the time of year we live for ..... the hard yards are almost done and  we is sat at the High Rollers table about to place our bets. It would be just nice to know what the odds are.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, jamesc said:

OK Team ..... Manuka is starting to flower, Kanuka is thinking about it, Honey dew is flat tack and Clover in Canterbury is gonna be the mother of all seasons. So, this begs the question .... are we any closer to a resolution on the Manuka standard as the bees  are almost ready and contracts are sitting on the table waiting to be signed, but we need to know what we are signing up for ....

Go for the Clover 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Ah no, Oh Windswept One ... this is the time of year we live for ..... the hard yards are almost done and  we is sat at the High Rollers table about to place our bets. It would be just nice to know what the odds are.

Play it safe, 
Pay the bills

Get through the season and live to see the next.

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

I have heard that clover honey always pays well.

Are you expecting a bumper clover year because of all the soil moisture in Canterbury after the wet winter.

22 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

one sure way of bringing an industry to its knees is to have a govt department sticking its nose in.

little bit of a sidetrack. But maybe the breakup of the failed experiment that was MPI into smaller units might help? or am i being naively optimistic...

the level of incompetence of MPI across fisheries, across land use, across food standards including manuka, etc has been incredible - even by bureaucratic standards

Edited by tommy dave
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
5 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

hang on. I'm off to check out some manuka sites over the next four days. It's still worth gambling on the goldmine right? Or should i not even bother assembling all those boxes?

You gotta check out the sites .... and you gotta build the boxes ..... but don't gamble the house on the goldmine

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
29 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

hang on. I'm off to check out some manuka sites over the next four days. It's still worth gambling on the goldmine right? Or should i not even bother assembling all those boxes?

Go for gold but just be aware you might not be able to sell it.

So don’t outlay too much getting it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1