Glen Paterson

Stolen hives that have been dumped

I Have Found some ones Hive boxes dumped, only been there a few days as still some bees there

have contacted the police an reported this. Really want to help the owner get his boxes back as he may

be unaware they are missing. All I have is the Registration number. unbelievable that some low life thinks

this is how to get ahead. please let me know if you know who this rego is.

D208

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1

Advise Assure Quality, they can notify the beekeeper through the registration number.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Thanks yes have done that just waiting to hear back.

Need to edit That ITS       D280

Ok its Mossops

• Like 1

I must file that away. You never know.

Funny that the register isn’t publically accessible. It would seem to be to everyone’s advantage.

• Agree 2

Totally agree I would of been able to make contact 6pm yesterday finally talked to the man going up there

this evening to show them an help clean it up.

Glen which pine forest in Rotorua, as I have hives in some of them

Edited by Dennis Crowley

1 minute ago, Dennis Crowley said:

The rego number of the hives was supplied in the first post 

I wasn't after the rego number, I was after the forestry block, as it may mean an earlier trip to check where my hives are if it was near them. My hives are in that area.

• Agree 3

19 hours ago, cBank said:

Funny that the register isn’t publically accessible. It would seem to be to everyone’s advantage.

Agree at least a phone number of the bee keeper could be shared that the bee keeper chooses to list publicly, i wouldn't want addresses given out as urban keepers addresses are generally where the bees are kept like me and theft is rampant enough.

Most people are fine with that, but a few are not. Of the more than 6 thousand beekeepers in NZ there is a percentage who are paranoid about big brother, or whatever, and do not want any details shared. Some of these folks will not register if they thought info was going to be given away, so everything is kept totally confidential. Requests for information on other beekepers or hives are not responded too, which can be annoying, but there is a reason for that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

PM sent

22 hours ago, Glen Paterson said:

I Have Found some ones Hive boxes dumped, only been there a few days as still some bees there

have contacted the police an reported this. Really want to help the owner get his boxes back as he may

be unaware they are missing. All I have is the Registration number. unbelievable that some low life thinks

this is how to get ahead. please let me know if you know who this rego is.

D208

Ring asurequality about the owner they will know..

7 minutes ago, Beemine said:

Ring asurequality about the owner they will know..

Sure did the Lady was very helpful,was just trying to make contact with owner as soon as possible as had to wait for office hours

to get a answer which was the next day.

• Like 1

Beekeeping is a little bit frustrated now because of this theft roaming around,stealing hives and gear to start their own. Be careful of who the peopke you employ or deal with your business. 

• Agree 2

Agree with that. Some of these thefts have the hallmarks of inside knowledge.

Edited by Alastair

Yes, they are very clever how to do it in a clean way. But they thought it was really clean, we found out their tactic are once they got the hives they change the equipment of beehive for example: they still use the same inside like frames on their own brood and queens some bees then they use a different owner of the beeboxes and the straps or the floors,etc.or even repainted the boxes...We experience that at the moment and cant do anything even if you have enough evidence.

Is anyone here from taipa.?

It’s a good idea to brand all your frames it’s a lot of work to get rid of branding and would be a deterrent to a lot of thieves I would think 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Beemine said:

Is anyone here from taipa.?

40 years ago I lived there.

I think most of the thefts around here have been from peoples ex employees.

I’m quite sure a lot of it goes unreported.

There will always be someone who knows who did it and likely someone who will dob them in.

I really can’t believe that people are stupid enough to steal hives.

If they’re not beekeepers what do they think they’re going to do with them, who’s going to extract their honey, and who are they going to sell it to.

Just dumb.

Thieves are the lowest form of scum.

• Agree 2

We know one of the theft but we know whos the victims, my friends are the victim been a victim but can tell for now. His been working and working in different beekeeper. All beekeepers need to know their workers to their previous employer.

Hi Alastair, my friends got a hives in taipa which their ex worker placed there and he never return it.

Beautiful place Beemine, although around 15 years ago I took my then wife up there to show her around but the place I could hardly recognise. Houses everywhere, where there had been nothing. Places you could keep bees and see nobody, now covered in roads, houses, and shops. It was quite disorientating I could hardly find my way around. Hate to think what it's like by now.

Edited by Alastair