First week with bees. Varroa treatment / feeding advice.

Hi team. I purchased a nuc 5 days ago. They have an autum queen and everything seems good. They were treated for varroa with bayverol which was removed the day I purchased them (not sure when it was applied). I have fed them 2 liters of sugar syrup (1:1) in a frame feeder. I have attached a photo of the hive. 

My questions are: 

1. After 3 days they haven’t made a dent in the syrup. How quickly would you expense a new hive (5 frames) of bees go through syrup? Do I keep the feed toped up?

2. Do I need to do anything else regarding varroa treatment at the moment?

Thanks

Dave

8F768A6F-DCA5-415B-AAE4-A11289A8B71F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you move the two frames of foundation that are next to the feeder to the far side with the other foundation frames so your feeder is right up against the bees they will get into it a lot quicker.

OK, I have seen those. They work OK on a strong hive that is going to have bees everywhere and will easily go down those mesh things to get the syrup.   But for me, often working with weak n

Nice work Craig, good looking nuc .

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

If you move the two frames of foundation that are next to the feeder to the far side with the other foundation frames so your feeder is right up against the bees they will get into it a lot quicker.

Great advice. I will do that. 

Also, the nuc looks reasonably well stocked with bees, would recommend putting one of the empty frames in the middle of the nuc so there are bees on each side of it and they will draw the comb as they consume the syrup. And, to get bees started in a feeder, what I do is tip a bit of syrup over the bees to perk their interest, plus pour some over the feeder to lure the bees into it.

Where did that float type thing come from that is in the feeder, was it bought commercially? I don't like it, it will slow down bees getting syrup especially if weather is very cold or a hive is very weak.

Edited by Alastair
2 hours ago, Alastair said:

the nuc looks reasonably well stocked with bees, would recommend putting one of the empty frames in the middle of the nuc so there are bees on each side of it and they will draw the comb as they consume the syrup

i wouldn't.

i'm inclined to keep them together until bee numbers come up more.

once there is another frame of bees or two then you can move a foundation frame in.

also, whats holding the wooden frames together ?

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Could be side nails.  Many books recommend that.

just checking.

seen a few with nothing holding the frame together.

just like the other day, i pull a frame out minus bottom bar and insert. oops someone forgot the staples.

• Haha 3
5 hours ago, Alastair said:

Where did that float type thing come from that is in the feeder, was it bought commercially? I don't like it, it will slow down bees getting syrup especially if weather is very cold or a hive is very weak.

Hi @Alastair. I purchased it from a supplier in East Tamaki. It has a wooden top with 2 slots. Each slot has white netting that the bees can climb down. It is there to encourage the comb to be drawn. What would you recommend instead? I’ve seen people plug it with sticks. 

10 minutes ago, Dave Aky said:

Hi @Alastair. I purchased it from a supplier in East Tamaki. It has a wooden top with 2 slots. Each slot has white netting that the bees can climb down. It is there to encourage the comb to be drawn. What would you recommend instead? I’ve seen people plug it with sticks. 

OK, I have seen those. They work OK on a strong hive that is going to have bees everywhere and will easily go down those mesh things to get the syrup.

But for me, often working with weak nucs, I don't have any float, but fill the feeder with loosely packed barley straw. Just my own view that works better when conditions like temperature are less friendly to the bees.

However your nuc is reasonably strong, and the weather is getting warmer. If you put the feeder next to the bees and dribble a bit of syrup around to lead them in the right direction and get them started, your current set up should work fine.

• Agree 2
  • Good Info 1
27 minutes ago, Dave Aky said:

They are side nails (and glue). Is that ok? Thanks for inquiring though, I appreciate any help I can get. 

sweet as. i'm not a big fan of side nails, but the glue will work well.

18 minutes ago, Dave Aky said:

What do you think @tristan?

i would just put the feeder next to the bees but do not put the wooden frames between the plastic frames.

separating brood frames can backfire if you don't have good bee numbers. let them build up with the existing brood frames. they will draw the wooden frames out in good time.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Dave Aky said:

Really?

To the West of Albany :-)  Treated with Bayverol strips pulled on pick-up five frames of bees, Autumn Queen.....got my fingerprints all over it.  Just cant remember if I my bk number was branded on the top of the frames.....handsome yellow bees as per @frazzledfozzle specifications.

Edited by CraBee
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, CraBee said:

To the West of Albany :-)  Treated with Bayverol strips pulled same day, five frames of bees, Autumn Queen.....got my fingerprints all over it.  Just cant remember if I my bk number was branded on the top of the frames.....

Ha. How funny. Yup these are your bees. Enjoying their new home but a bit home sick I’m sure ?. Hey when did you apply those varroa strips? Thanks for the recommendation of the forum. I am really enjoying this thread. 

• Like 2

You've got some of the heavy hitters / expert bk's in this thread giving you advice so lap it up.  The strips were applied on August 6th, they were due out in the week before pick-up.  All the best.

Edited by CraBee
  • Like 2