Desperate Dan

Watson & Son - Bad News - NBR

Thank you for this Mr Desperate !  Welcome to the forum ! :)

Dang, I've discovered I need to pay something to read this. Bother. I'll have to wait until some evil cave-living anti-establishment cad finds a way of putting it up here !

• Agree 1

@Desperate Dan be prepared to back your accusations up in court. You own your comments.

• Sad 1

shame I can't read it either.  wanted my credit card details for a free 'trial'.  Oh well.  Why are you going to court Dan?  

11 minutes ago, Lindaloo26 said:

shame I can't read it either.  wanted my credit card details for a free 'trial'.  Oh well.  Why are you going to court Dan?  

He probably doesn't think he is. It's NZBees covering it's A

37 minutes ago, yesbut said:

He probably doesn't think he is. It's NZBees covering it's A

All getting a bit serious I think. Its in the NBR I did not make it up. I am sure they did their homework before they went to print. 

I would think if it's in the NBR then it's good for a forum ?

from the article it sounds like there's going to be some sifting through the finances to see if it all adds up by people who do that sort of thing. 

One side of the 50% partnership between Watsons and ngai tahu is selling up with interested parties from the US winging there way over.

Ngai Tahu may have paid a lot more for their share than was reported but it's OK because they have stacks of money so it doesn't matter.

bullying and intimidation may have been rife and there's psychologists getting involved and the rumour that @Ted referred too seems to be more fact than fiction. 

Good times 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Desperate Dan said:

Its in the NBR I did not make it up.

Quoting the facts as reported won't get you in trouble. Publishing statements that are damaging to the reputation or "good name" of a business or individual is libelous unless those statements are true and you have evidence to prove it.

Calling someone a "vindictive, aggressive, corrupt, idiot" is potentially libelous.

Libel cases are expensive. I expect that Mr Watson has deep pockets.  Would he bother? I don't know but I doubt it.  

• Thanks 1

The Apple does not fall far from the tree

bad behaviour is often masked or overlooked in an industry that is booming.

if people are starting to question things it is a sign of difficult times for everybody.

Rare, but internet chatters can be sued for libel.

Couple years ago in Australia a guy called Ben McKee set up a SAVE THE BEES facebook page, specifically so he could attack Australias largest honey packer and exporter, Capilano Honey.

From his page he made constant attacks against Capilano Honey. The kind of stuff he was saying gradually attracted a following, many of them being vegans, hipsters, save the bees types, and others. Capilano became aware and also signed up, and answered his critiques with the truth as they saw it, but Ben McKee owned the page and simply deleted, or edited, whatever Capilano had to say.

So after a year of this, and seeing McKees growing following and being disturbed by the comments the followers were also making, Capilano contacted McKee and said they expected to have right of reply, or they would get their lawyers involved. McKee ignored them. Capilano followed up by making quite a few attempts to resolve things without lawyers, McKee was not interested.

So, enter Capilanos lawyers. Last I heard, McKee was now saying Capilano was ruining him and making him homeless. He set up one of those give a little type pages to beg for money. Not sure where this ended up, but from what I read it did sound like McKee was not always truthful, plus seemed like something of a fanatic.

However the take away from this, is that the internet being what it is, untruths are spoken, about probably every large company. The company itself will not gain by suing everyone. But in Capilanos case they first went with the cheap option, some emails and phone calls seeking a resolution. Only when patently clear none of this was going to work, and in the face of long term and extreme provocation, did they end up coming down with the full force of the law.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Rare, but internet chatters can be sued for libel.

Couple years ago in Australia a guy called Ben McKee set up a SAVE THE BEES facebook page, specifically so he could attack Australias largest honey packer and exporter, Capilano Honey.

From his page he made constant attacks against Capilano Honey. The kind of stuff he was saying gradually attracted a following, many of them being vegans, hipsters, save the bees types, and others. Capilano became aware and also signed up, and answered his critiques with the truth as they saw it, but Ben McKee owned the page and simply deleted, or edited, whatever Capilano had to say.

So after a year of this, and seeing McKees growing following and being disturbed by the comments the followers were also making, Capilano contacted McKee and said they expected to have right of reply, or they would get their lawyers involved. McKee ignored them. Capilano followed up by making quite a few attempts to resolve things without lawyers, McKee was not interested.

So, enter Capilanos lawyers. Last I heard, McKee was now saying Capilano was ruining him and making him homeless. He set up one of those give a little type pages to beg for money. Not sure where this ended up, but from what I read it did sound like McKee was not always truthful, plus seemed like something of a fanatic.

However the take away from this, is that the internet being what it is, untruths are spoken, about probably every large company. The company itself will not gain by suing everyone. But in Capilanos case they first went with the cheap option, some emails and phone calls seeking a resolution. Only when patently clear none of this was going to work, and in the face of long term and extreme provocation, did they end up coming down with the full force of the law.

Oops, I think the lawyers will be after you Alastair!!!  Ben McKee is the CEO of Capilano.  I think the character you are referring to might be Simon M******** (all this talk of libel actions has made me nervous).  ?

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

Oops, you are correct. Guess I should check my own facts and failing memory, before shooting my mouth LOL :D

I've now googled to check up, so for those who are wondering, the rest of my story is correct. Just delete Ben McKee from what I wrote and replace with Simon Mulvany, and you have the correct story.

Edited by Alastair

shame about the nbr paywall. Sounds worth a read. Might sign up.

edit: figured out a way to read it - just go to the local store and read it for free ;)

guts of it is fairly simple:

Founders (Mr Watson and wife Meryl stood down due to allegations of bullying)

Accountants have held off on an audit to conduct a forensic investigation of finances

Edited by tommy dave

For those you curious enough to want to read the article, here it is.

0D6D9B50-011F-47C9-954B-DA4E9BC1DFFA.thumb.png.153935a52323de74a076db161eaa0a7e.png

18881251-A13C-4D80-B6C1-C8C62B1853AE.thumb.png.e58d4c02864525392d5f9463cb00becf.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Pity you did not paste it the right way around.

I’m a busy man. Lock your screen rotation or turn the monitor on it’s side ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Pity you did not paste it the right way around.

Perhaps you're holding your iPad the wrong way up? 

Just now, Rob Stockley said:

Perhaps you're holding your iPad the wrong way up? 

There is no way I will ever use an Ipad

Always enjoy the quirky humour in the NBR. A few quotes from this article -

Bad buzz plagues Ngai Tahu honey venture

Honeymoon's Over

What, if any, due diligence the iwi did before putting it's money into what now appears to be a sticky situation.

:)

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

There is no way I will ever use an Ipad

What about an android tablet. I will never use Apple either.

Wow.

Great read.

Much appreciated @dansar ?

• Agree 1

One of their directors, Richard Brooking left the company very recently. He used to be a huge cheerleader for W&S so I was surprised to hear that he left.

I was told it was due to a personal falling out with Dennis Watson, which the allegations on erratic bullying behaviour in the NBR article would seem to back up.

I've always heard that he's a nasty piece of work so I was waiting for this to happen. 

Edited by dansar
  • Like 1