JasonK

NZBF Mixing apivar and bayvarol strips

Just now, frazzledfozzle said:

If you have 50% apples and 50% oranges does that mean you have 100% apples?

You’re missing the point and I believe you’re mistaken. The dosage of a drug is based on effectively treating a quantity of Bees. In this case it’s a ten frame brood box. If one were to treat a 5 frame brood box then one would use a half dosage of what’s recommended for a 10 frame box. Therefore, since half a recommended dosage will treat 5 frames, then two half doses treats ten frames and therefore treats the brood box fully. If I am mistaken then correct me

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 3

8 minutes ago, JasonK said:

You’re missing the point and I believe you’re mistaken. The dosage of a drug is based on effectively treating a quantity of Bees. In this case it’s a ten frame brood box. If one were to treat a 5 frame brood box then one would use a half dosage of what’s recommended for a 10 frame box. Therefore, since half a recommended dosage will treat 5 frames, then two half doses treats ten frames and therefore treats the brood box fully. If I am mistaken then correct me

Holy moly 

Why don't you try 1/4 Apivar, 1/4 Bayvarol, 1/4 Oxalic acid & 1/4 Formic acid. The treatment would still be 100% and it would make it even harder for the mites to get resistance. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Hector Wong said:

Why don't you try 1/4 Apivar, 1/4 Bayvarol, 1/4 Oxalic acid & 1/4 Formic acid. The treatment would still be 100% and it would make it even harder for the mites to get resistance. 

I hope your being facetious lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JasonK said:

I’m pretty keen to hear from any of you who had used formic acid as treatment. 

Me. All the methods you mentioned, on a good number of hives.

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

Yeah but what would  you know, you are arrogant and full of " expounded " errors or errors that aren't expounded or something. Oh  and a man with plenty of time on your hands so obviously don't work very hard on your bees aye.

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 5
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Daley said:

I hope your being facetious lol

@Daley you are getting to know me too well:1_grinning:

Edited by Hector Wong
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hector Wong said:

Good man Wong, great contribution, thanks 

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Yeah but what would  you know, you are arrogant and full of " expounded " errors or errors that aren't expounded or something. Oh  and a man with plenty of time on your hands so obviously don't work very hard on your bees aye.

I wasn’t the one who began throwing around the expounded errors lingo. I found that an arrogant comment considering I’m a beginner and don’t agree that the thread has been full of errors, and useless comments like that are fairly condescending in nature, so I stood up for myself. 

• Disagree 1
  • Sad 2

Hi Jason 

i see you are a new beekeeper  ,if you would like to look through a few hives and have a discussion on ,and look at various treatments try giving me a pm to organise a time 

please don't be experimental with treatments until you have a few years experience,and can recognise and react to what is happening in your hive 

Resistance is a very real threat and under treated hives stand a strong chance of failure 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@JasonK Apivar and bayvarol are different chemicals the effect on the mites is different so you will have half doses of two different chemicals reacting on the mites in two different ways neither of them efficient.

Lets just explore this concept in a practical way.

Take a pair of 5 frame nucs and place them side by side, hard against each other.

Put one chemical in one and another in the other.

Drill some small holes through the adjacent box sides then block them up, then unblock them  and again open them up etc etc.

Have the two nucs alternated between being properly treated and poorly treated??

There are two strips in each box of course.

This analogy is at the root of this discussion

Edited by Philbee

2 hours ago, Alastair said:

Good man yourself. Some man for one man you are 

• Stirrer 1

Topic closed. The original questions have been well answered by members. Deviating from manufacturer instructions is not for beginners. Any further discussion belongs in the Diseases and Pests forum

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, JasonK said:

I wasn’t the one who began throwing around the expounded errors lingo. I found that an arrogant comment considering I’m a beginner and don’t agree that the thread has been full of errors, and useless comments like that are fairly condescending in nature, so I stood up for myself. 

Jason.

You are digging yourself a big hole here man.

You shouldn’t come to a forum as a beginner and kick off by insulting respected and regular contributors.

I don’t think your going to get anywhere here by dissing people.

Some of the people on this forum have been on here for years and have formed close friendships, by insulting one you will upset many.

I think the bulk of us here disagree with your notion of 2 half treatments make a whole treatment.

• Agree 2
  • Good Info 1