Ahol

How to remove swarm from chimney?

Any tips on how to get a swarm out of a chimney (freestanding fireplace)? Got a call today, but I don't have a vacuum...

If they have only just turned up get your smoker going well and stick it in the fire box and let smoke drift up chimney or a very small cool smoky fire! They might be persuaded to march out and into a box stuck on top/side of chimney? If they been there awhile and have built comb that's a bit trickier unless you can reach in and pull comb out and rubber band into frames? Or maybe a frame of brood to attract them into box if you can get them on the move? Good luck! 

Edited by Gareth

13 minutes ago, Ahol said:

Any tips on how to get a swarm out of a chimney (freestanding fireplace)? Got a call today, but I don't have a vacuum...

How long have they been there? If it's a new swarm then a little smoke (No heat or fire) from below should move them on. If they've been there a while then live removal is difficult.

The only one similar I've done they had built comb in about the first 40cm of the flue. They were accessible from above after removing the pot.

Before going this route think about health and safety. Ladders on roofs can be hazardous. You might be better off killing them and having the flue cleaned. 

Don't put any heat up the flue. The wax will melt and go everywhere. Best case you get a mess. Worst case the flue catches fire. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Rob Stockley said:

Before going this route think about health and safety. Ladders on roofs can be hazardous.

Bottom line is the only person allowed on a roof without scaffold or harness is the property owner.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

16 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Bottom line is the only person allowed on a roof without scaffold or harness is the property owner.

Am I correct that this only applies to professional arrangements? It's a Worksafe thing? Kids collecting frisbees is just as dangerous but not illegal. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, yesbut said:

What about property owners kids and friends 

And the neighbour's cat ?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, yesbut said:

Are these rules relaxed on the night of the 24th of December? 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, yesbut said:

And the neighbour's cat ?

Very dangerous for the neighbour's cat at my place. It gets chased by my cat

14 hours ago, yesbut said:

Didn't know that.

Didn't go to site just got a call - all sounded too difficult. Steep roof, dealing with landlord not tenant, and secondhand info etc. Sounded like they'd only just arrived so I suggested burning a piece of newspaper at a time to smoke them out - but did get me thinking whether anyone had found a way to capture them...

Hoping the next call is an easy catch...

Chimney brush pushed up from the bottom into a bucket over the top 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aquila said:

Chimney brush pushed up from the bottom into a bucket over the top 

I once tried to sweep a chimney from below. Very messy. 

• Haha 1

Here is a 2015 photo from a chimney expedition. There were bees coming out on both levels from dodgy chimney joins for several days. Before calling me the homeowner lit a fire in the bottom floor of the house, but that didn't work. There was not more than a cup of bees clustered on outside of chimney when I got there, so I did not have much hope. I put them in the 5 frame box and left it on the roof strapped to the chimney for three weeks. There was an entirely viable colony at the end of it that can be traced in our hive logs. Back in the day I had a bee-poo suit. I work up yachts masts and height has not resulted in my downfall so far. These days, I would use a harness to avoid unnecessary risk; regardless of laws it is common sense. I always put in one comb on centreline, with invert or syrup dribbled into some of the cells. If I have a comb of capped drone brood handy I will sometimes/rarely use that to try to anchor them. Aside from that they are just bare top bars, no foundation. Not an easy catch, but you win some and you lose some.

12246699_433736786815987_7061640523686876934_n.jpg

Edited by ChrisM
  • Like 1

@ChrisM, bee poo suit ?

Are you talking about the rather fetching yellow onesie.

@Trevor Gillbanks wears a yellow onesie in his videos now .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@Trevor Gillbanks wears a yellow onesie in his videos now .

I think it is cute.

My wife wants to paint black hoops on it. but I think it would then look like a wasp.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I think it is cute.

My wife wants to paint black hoops on it. but I think it would then look like a wasp.

Wife always knows best Trev. Don't fight it :ph34r:

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I think it is cute.

If you gave up running and took up serious drinking you could get the right bee shape .:)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

If you gave up running and took up serious drinking you could get the right bee shape .:)

Doctor said, No more running.  Now I just walk about 10 km a day.  I don't want the Bumble bee shape thanks.

I also drank far to much in my youth, so that faze of life has gone, thank goodness.

• Like 1