Basic cost of running a hive commercially

It does not only exist in rental hives. I have heard of beekeepers who own rights to put hives on commercial sites at $50 per hive, "subletting" the sites to other beekeepers for up to $150 per hive, a profit of $100 per hive.

Not sure how the landowner would feel if he got to hear.

• Agree 1
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I definitely need to get out more, but it's too peopley out there.   I know that I could easily do more work and make more money, but I work to live I don't live to work. I used to do a

You'd also have to lie to clients to maintain their belief that bees are disappearing and that their monthly rental is helping to save bees from extinction.

I've had a number of friends in the suburbs who have asked me to put a hive or two on their property and I've done so for friendship. And these hives undoubtedly make a big honey crop.   But

Posted Images

I have hives in an elderly lady's garden which I put there when I first started beekeeping and every time I try to move them she guilts me into keeping them there, she loves the bees and she loves seeing them in her garden working, I spend more time talking to her when I go there then I do working a yard of 30 hives.

She's such a nice lady and I would love to keep them there but I just don't have that kind of time anymore so I think I'll be taking them away soon.

There's no way I'd be doing rental hives, I would consider it to be more of a community service then a business.

I get asked all the time to put hives in people's gardens and I just have to say no, it's not feasible.

You get plenty of honey but it's a hassle, I sure wouldn't be doing it for $10 a month.

There are people trying to cash in on bees all over the place, and there will be plenty of people naive enough to fall for these schemes, and they get burnt almost every time.

I have heard of some agreements that people have entered into where I have thought why would anyone ever agree to that.

Basically, if you are beekeeping for a job, and you are guaranteeing anyone else a cut of your money then you are going to have a very hard time making any for yourself.(Manuka sites excluded)

I put bees on people's places to pollinate, they're my bees, I do the work, and I don't charge them for the pollination.

I don't inconveniece them, and it's a symbiotic relationship.

Theres no way I'd be paying for sites, I scratch my head how people think they can afford to do this, and usually I think this is something only new people or stupid people do.

Our business is dependent on the weather, and insects, not something I'd be keen to bet on.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
3 hours ago, Daley said:

Theres no way I'd be paying for sites, I scratch my head how people think they can afford to do this, and usually I think this is something only new people or stupid people do.

Our business is dependent on the weather, and insects, not something I'd be keen to bet on.

You need to get out more Daley.

There are many ways to skin a Rabbit.

My beek income starts this month and will roll on through March, then I sell my Honey.

You of all people have what it takes not to be broke, yet you will not see

31 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Wouldn't it be just great if the whole of society had this attitude ? There isn't much hope though, with all these prats out there who keep voting for that flaming lot.

That's why I'm self employed.

It makes it so I don't have to work for those prats.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, yesbut said:

Wouldn't it be just great if the whole of society had this attitude ? There isn't much hope though, with all these prats out there who keep voting for that flaming lot.

So true.

We watched a french movie recently called "tomorrow", one of the things proposed in it was electing government (120 seats in our case) using a similar system to that of sourcing people for Jury Service. On the basis that people really do apply themselves and on the whole make good decisions, we'd be better off giving people government service in the same way as Jury Service. This would mean that there were no elections, simply that every month several new people would be selected at random and that several people would come off every month. All 120 people would be in government, there would be no party voting nor whips and so on. Their tenure would be relatively short and then they would be out again. It would save us quite a lot in perks and BS. A random selection of 120 people probably as a combined IQ greater than the current 120 and far less self interest and pressure group hoohaa too. Is it any more or less democratic?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, jamesc said:

If you are self employed you work every third day for those prats.>:(

That can't be avoided.

But it would be good if they could allocate the money better.

I've had some pretty shocking employers which is the main reason I now work for myself.

I was quite happy being an employee but I struggled to find a reasonable employer.

It's probably because I can't shut my mouth when I think something is stupid.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, Rob Stockley said:

It would be a disaster IMHO

Your probably right.

But our current govt is also a disaster.

We have too many yes men, it doesn't matter who's in we carry on much the same and nothing really changes.

I would've loved to see Gareth get a couple of seats with some sensible policies.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
2 hours ago, Daley said:

It's probably because I can't shut my mouth when I think something is stupid.

Ha Ha I can see that. :)

However I have spent many years working for others, they all have something to teach, even if it's what not to do LOL. 

I too have a problem shooting my mouth, but have learned over the years that in the end the boss takes the consequences of his / her decisions along with the staff. There's a time for a tactful word, but there's also a time to keep the mouth shut and shrug the shoulders. EOD it's the bosses money, and just sometimes, he may surprise, and actually be right.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Philbee said:

The Cat killer?

I hate cats so it's no skin off my nose.

21 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Ha Ha I can see that. :)

However I have spent many years working for others, they all have something to teach, even if it's what not to do LOL. 

I too have a problem shooting my mouth, but have learned over the years that in the end the boss takes the consequences of his / her decisions along with the staff. There's a time for a tactful word, but there's also a time to keep the mouth shut and shrug the shoulders. EOD it's the bosses money, and just sometimes, he may surprise, and actually be right.

Don't get me wrong I have had some good bosses too, but I have at least 4 I could've easily taken to court and won.

I worked in hospitality for the most part and it's just an ugly environment to work in, I have been spoken too in ways that I would never speak to anyone and it got to a point where I thought why am I putting up with this, so now I don't.

The way some employers treat their staff is completely unacceptable and I don't ever want to be spoken to like that ever again.

I have been in the position of scapegoat many times where actually I would've personally gone for a skate and the boss knew that and didn't care.

So it would've been quite stupid to say nothing and not to push the issue.

There are a lot of very sad, selfish, mean people out there that are best avoided.

Unfortunately some of them are hard to identify until it's too late.

• Agree 3
10 minutes ago, Philbee said:

I was once a very competent wild cat slayer.

The problem was that for every cat I removed another would appear.

Its endless

One of Dads mates bought a big block of bush about 10 years back, he's killed about 70 there so far.

Still worth killing them though

2 minutes ago, Over Worker said:

At my work yesterday i had a manager and a wannabe boss gang up on me so I played the casual employee card..went to the time clock swiped my card went home picked up my wife and son and spent the afternoon checking beehives. The best afternoon I've had in ages :)

Will they have you back tomorrow.?

• Haha 1