Tomm

NZBF Getting ready.. How much honey

I'm removing my varroa treatment this weekend and wonder how much honey I should leave in. I will mark the frames so I don't gather them.. I seem to have left too much in over winter. Would 2 frames be OK? Was thinking of placing queen excluder back for the honey season.. Any other suggestions? 

Rob,Im trying to remember Im pretty sure it was Apivar because the time before I used Apistan.Im a bit anxious as There is much pollen going in and im afraid they may be out of room..Yesterday there was 3 times as many flying all around the front but they seemed to have settled down.I have the 2 hives and another at another property that seem to desert the bottom box and all brood and honey is in the 2nd (top) box.The bottom as very wet so I tilted it slightly for draning and will swap the boxes around this weekend ( Correct?)

@Tomm you're right not to eat honey that's been on with Apivar. Leave it for the bees. If there's  space in the lower box then definitely swap the boxes around. If the frames are simply discolored then the bees will clean them up. If they're caked in mold then I'd replace with new. 

To fix the dampness you could add a match stick under each corner of the hive mat to increase ventilation. Make sure the base is tilted a little towards the entrance.  Also check your hive lid. Some of the sprung steel ones leak badly in the corners. Lastly, if the ground under the hive is wet, consider raising the hive on a few bricks or cinder blocks. A hive directly on cold, wet ground is likely to suffer damp problems. 

@Rob Stockley one of my sprung lids leaks badly at the corners.

I am not sure how to fix it .

The cover board  Has often got a bit of water on it .

A splodge of silicon rubber on the outside. Or any other building sealant. Or black tape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

@Rob Stockley one of my sprung lids leaks badly at the corners.

I am not sure how to fix it .

The cover board  Has often got a bit of water on it .

Either seal it as suggested by @yesbut or replace it with a better lid. Most of mine are home built. A piece of ply fixed to a rim with plenty of over hang. A good coat of paint and they work well.

Fortunately I only bought six sprung metal lids when I started. Only a few left now. MAQS helped convince me they're not suitable for my needs. 

• Thanks 1

15% of lids at Mr Ecrotek's bees,beers and bangers next week ...

• Like 1