jamesc

October 2017 Apiary Diary

5 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Do you think they are as dangerous as people say ?

To some people absolutely.

Ive seen some really nasty bites from white tails, I haven’t had one myself and wouldn’t be keen to try it.

• Good Info 1

My eldest son got bitten on the back and it took years for the discolouration and scarring to go away. The scientists say they are not poisonous but believe me you don't want to get bitten.

14 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Do you think they are as dangerous as people say ?

I think they are overated. I got bitten by one a few years back, no reaction at all, other than 2 little pinpricks where it's fangs had been. 

• Good Info 1

John was the spider actually seen? I read that nearly all NZ cases of issues from whitetail spider bites, the spider was not seen, but the symptoms were diagnosed as spider bite based on assumption by the doctor.

What I think is that like bee stings, some people react to them and some don't. My own experience, I was at my desk when I felt a pain in my finger, looked, and there was a whitetail bting hard it's fangs dug in and it's bum in the air. I got a heckuva fright and instictively shook it off it went flying and I couldn't find it. I saw the 2 pinpricks in my finger and was waiting to see what would happen. But after a few hours, nothing. Sigh of relief :).

Anyhow, I don't discount what may happen to someone else, it's possible I guess, but I also suspect some stuff is attributed to whitetails that was probably something different.

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 1

Definitely a whitetail. Like you say some people react more than others.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Alastair said:

John was the spider actually seen? I read that nearly all NZ cases of issues from whitetail spider bites, the spider was not seen, but the symptoms were diagnosed as spider bite based on assumption by the doctor.

What I think is that like bee stings, some people react to them and some don't. My own experience, I was at my desk when I felt a pain in my finger, looked, and there was a whitetail bting hard it's fangs dug in and it's bum in the air. I got a heckuva fright and instictively shook it off it went flying and I couldn't find it. I saw the 2 pinpricks in my finger and was waiting to see what would happen. But after a few hours, nothing. Sigh of relief :).

Anyhow, I don't discount what may happen to someone else, it's possible I guess, but I also suspect some stuff is attributed to whitetails that was probably something different.

It may depend on an individual's immune system .

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

It may depend on an individual's immune system .

Or how much they scratch themselves and what’s under their fingernails 

• Agree 2

From what I’ve been told white tails eat daddy long legs which are one of the more poisonous spiders although they don’t have mouth parts big enough to bite.

And that the potency from a white tail bite comes from them eating the daddy long legs, has anyone else heard this?

Edited by Daley
  • Agree 3

47 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Or how much they scratch themselves and what’s under their fingernails 

Ew yuck :D

3 minutes ago, Daley said:

From what I’ve been told white tails eat daddy long legs which are one of the more poisonous spiders although they don’t have mouth parts big enough to bite.

And that the potency from a white tail bite comes from them eating the daddy long legs, has anyone else heard this?

Yes , I thought it was an urban myth .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Yes , I thought it was an urban myth .

Maybe it is lol I fell for it though ?

• Haha 2

It’s a real thing for some people..

They end up with a nasty cellulitis in hospital on massive doses of IV antibiotics 

in extreme cases they can need plastic surgery

• Good Info 1

It’s very uncommon for them to cause drama and most times they are suspected rather than seen to have caused trouble.

current Ministry of Health statement says “The usual white-tailed spider bite can be painful but the initial burning feeling, swelling, redness and itchiness at the bite site usually goes and there are no long-lasting effects.

White-tailed spider bites are not considered poisonous to humans. A recent Australian study has shown no evidence linking necrotic ulcers (destroyed skin) to white-tailed spider bites.”

http://www.health.govt.nz/your-health/conditions-and-treatments/accidents-and-injuries/bites-and-stings/spider-bites

I picked up a slater spider off the floor tonight, Far out! you should’ve seen the fangs on that thing chomping at the callouses on my hand. It made a white tail seem harmless. But it went out the window very quickly.

56 minutes ago, dansar said:

I picked up a slater spider off the floor tonight, Far out! you should’ve seen the fangs on that thing chomping at the callouses on my hand. It made a white tail seem harmless. But it went out the window very quickly.

What's a Slater spider ?

4 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

I thought it might be that spider.

We have them here. 

When I see them I am always grateful that they are that size .

I have had several white tail bites over the last 25 years  ,each time the potency seems to have increased .my kids used to ask hows the spider .now they visit the hospital ,

white tails take over another spiders nest  ,they do not create their own spider web . Their potency grows when they feed on daddy long legs which is nz most toxic spider but fangs are not long enough to break human skin

they are not a joke  the venom creates an absess which ends up like a boil .  The toxicity of the white tail corresponds with the type of spiders  web it has overrun 

im a bit of a cowboy but if i suspect a white tail bite i dont mess about any more  .blood test and deal with it  nowdays its an iv anti biotic and fingers crossed ,last one was 12 hours from hand off

• Like 1
  • Good Info 2

Whitetails feed on house spiders, for which they have a great strategy to catch. But it backfires with daddylonglegs, who catch and eat the whitetail.

Amateur video here

or professional video here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today I took the nuc that had been down the road with a virgin for two weeks to the other side of Golden bay to mate.

I checked the nucs that I had already taken there  8 days ago and one had eggs.

This nuc was so bursting with bees I could not see the queen.

This nuc went there with a large cell that the bees were paying lots of attention to.

The other nuc had no eggs and no sign of the nearly finished cells it had in it .

I think the bees never completed them , I thought I had put enough bees in the nuc but obviously not.

It maybe better to move capped cells . And I shall take ones the bees are paying most attention to from now on .

• Like 1

On 26/10/2017 at 9:45 PM, Beefriendly said:

It’s a real thing for some people..

They end up with a nasty cellulitis in hospital on massive doses of IV antibiotics 

in extreme cases they can need plastic surgery

Note the link earlier in thread. It’s beyond rare for this to happen.

Made a big mistake today which cost me a lot of bees.

I put the nuc in a box along side the  queen less hive I want to combine it with. I put it to close.

I had thought that because there was a flow on there would be no robbing but I had not anticipated that being that close they would drift into each, others hive .

I separated the hives reduced the nucs entrance and sprayed air freshener around the entrance.

But damage done .

WP_20171028_14_34_35_Pro.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

@Trevor Gillbanks I have just seen a video of your hives on pallets.

They were easily as close together as my original hive placing.

So why did my hives fight .

All the fighting was outside the hive , not robbing ,( it was a warm day and the kamahi is flowering) .,  and it was  out side both hives so I assumed they had drifted into each other's hive .

You say that your boxes were different colours , mine were the same colour but the landing boards were different.

Was the problem putting a new hive close to an existing hive . How are pallet hives managed when the hives are also  so close together.