anniiee

NZBF Swarm cells ?

Hi everyone,

Checking through the hives today and one of them have a few odd looking cells, they don't look like queen cells but are they the start of them, or the start of swarm cells ? there were two on this frame a couple on other frames all at the bottom. There was one in the middle of a frame. There is plenty of brood in the hive saw the queen who looks healthy should I be thinking about doing a split ? They swarmed last year want to prevent it if I can this year

Thank you :14_relaxed:

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

@anniiee if they're empty then they're play cups. If they have eggs or grubs in them then they're queen cells. Several queen cells low down on the frames would almost certainly be swarm cells at this point in the season. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Play cups they may be. 

Located at the bottom of the frames like that, and there being several,  means your bees are at least having thoughts about swarming . You'll need to be on your toes or they'll be up and away before you know it .

It doesn't take much to get eggs then capped grubs into those in between checks 

Edited by M4tt
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

how much space do the bees in that hive have?

They have lots of space I'd left a honey box on for them through winter which has all gone so the brood is mainly up there now with a half empty super below. I had wondered whether I should swap the supers around 

• Like 1

I’d be interested to hear what the old hands say. I had the same situation and my spring plan was to swap the boxes. It’s worked well and the queen is now laying in both. 

• Like 1