When to put Nuc into full size hive?

I need some advise on when to put my nuc hive into its own full size hive, I have done this before when I first got my hives but I need a refresher on when.

The Nuc is from a rescued queen that I managed to nurse back into health neirly two months ago, it currently has five frames, 1 donor honey frame, 3 frames of brood capped and open brood, mostly capped, both sides of frames, 1 frame of pollen which is relatively empty, 

the hive is not bursting with bees but all brood frames are covered, they look to have out grown the nuc box enterance which is a 28 mm hole.

whould it be a bit early to transfer them into a full size hive? Should I wait for the nuc to be bulging with bees? The days are still cool around Wellington, the only available laying space is the out edges of the brood frames and the pollen frame.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, good work. For your next trick you’ll have to try make a hive from a puchased queen and her attendant nurse bees.

Yes, same hive! The queen is laying up a storm, some very solid brood patterns, I transferred the nuc into a single FD box today, and put in a single frame feeder with 1 to 1 sugar solution to help wi

Hive update, left all queen cells in hive, I was planning to split another hive and use a queen cell from this hive, but was to late, all but one queen cells has a hole chewed in the side, found virgi

It sounds like they are ready for the move . I'd give them an empty frame in the middle of the brood nest to work on as well, as long as you're confident there are plenty of bees to cover it aswell as all the brood . It will help them expand as long as there is a bit of a flow or syrup available 

• Agree 1
20 hours ago, HSV_Darren said:

Yes, same hive! The queen is laying up a storm, some very solid brood patterns, I transferred the nuc into a single FD box today, and put in a single frame feeder with 1 to 1 sugar solution to help with building comb, I recon I will have a good strong hive with this queen, very calm to, I have been going into the hive with no beesuit or gloves.

That's pretty amazing, nice to know you brought them back ☺

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I thought I would do a hive update with a question, the queen I saved a while ago has gone! No eggs, no sign of queen, but do have half dozen of supersedure cells which are capped, I will let the hive take its course in replacing the queen, my question is since there is a flow on, the bees have filled all available space with nectar, there is very little capped brood and the brood area is getting taken over with honey, should I do something? Or will the bees sort things things them selfs.

I’d remove all but one cell , but that’s your call . 

The bees will clear space for the new queen to lay so don’t worry about that .

You really want to disturb the hive as little as possible while the queen emerges, mates and lays . 

In the mean time , put another box on top , those bees have no brood to feed and could easily pack away another box of honey 

9 minutes ago, M4tt said:

I’d remove all but one cell , but that’s your call . 

The bees will clear space for the new queen to lay so don’t worry about that .

You really want to disturb the hive as little as possible while the queen emerges, mates and lays . 

In the mean time , put another box on top , those bees have no brood to feed and could easily pack away another box of honey 

Thanks M4tt, I will do exactly that, another first time scenario for me. Thanks

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...