anniiee

NZBF Bees bunching up outside

Hello everyone, 

Came home from work yesterday evening to bees bunched up outside the hive it was 11 degrees so not too warm. This morning there were still bees there but less in numbers and quite a few dead on the floor. Arrived back home at lunch time to find even more joining this bundle of bees. Should I put them back into the hive? Do you think the Queen might be under them? 

MOV_0036.mp4

@anniiee how many is quite a few dead? I can't see the video from where I am.

No need to put them back in the hive. There will be a reason they have decamped. They'll go back inside when they're ready. 

• Thanks 1

Keep in mind they're a bunch of sheilas, and all it would take is one cockroach.....

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Keep in mind they're a bunch of sheilas, and all it would take is one cockroach.....

I would pity the cockroach :ph34r:

Mystery solved, decided to open up the hive and take a look inside. Nothing looked amiss other than couldn't find the queen. Decided to knock the bees from the front into a separate box and take a look, and hey presto there was the queen. This queen has only been in the hive two weeks, hoping that she isn't deciding she wants to leave !   Queen is safely back inside the hive along with most of the other bees that were on the front. There's still a few straggelers that I'm guessing can still smell her pheromone on the front. 

Is this a new queen? Not unusual to see extra bees out during her nuptial flights. 

She was a new mated Queen that I put in 2 weeks ago. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, anniiee said:

Nothing looked amiss other than couldn't find the queen

She's laying eggs and there are no queen cells? 

i suspect the robbing screen is contributing to the hive's problems. post a pic of the screen in this thread so that other people can easily see/comment on it.

when you say she was a new mated queen - have you confirmed eggs/brood since you added the queen? why were you adding the queen? is this a split that you have made?

Edited by tommy dave

No there's no eggs or brood the guy I bought her from said to leave her two weeks before opening up the hive. No it wasn't a split, when checking the hive at the end of winter I realised id lost the Queen  as there were no drones around thought no point in putting in a frame of eggs. After several checks I started looking for a mated Queen and thought I'd found one. I'm now wondering if she is a Virgin queen. 

Just now, anniiee said:

No there's no eggs or brood the guy I bought her from said to leave her two weeks before opening up the hive. No it wasn't a split, when checking the hive at the end of winter I realised id lost the Queen  as there were no drones around thought no point in putting in a frame of eggs. After several checks I started looking for a mated Queen and thought I'd found one. I'm now wondering if she is a Virgin queen. 

i'd contact the person who sold you the queen. Was it someone reputable?

also - was she a marked queen? if so, you can easily confirm that the queen you found was the queen you bought

No she's not marked but easily identifiable. She's a lot smaller than my other queen was and very golden coloured. Im not sure he was reputable he seemed a very friendly knowledgeable guy that's all I can say 

3 minutes ago, anniiee said:

No she's not marked but easily identifiable. She's a lot smaller than my other queen was and very golden coloured. Im not sure he was reputable he seemed a very friendly knowledgeable guy that's all I can say 

if they had proven mated queens two weeks ago then they probably know what they're doing.

Give them a call.

He said she was mated last autumn I will ring him. Thank you :12_slight_smile:

1 hour ago, anniiee said:

He said she was mated last autumn I will ring him. Thank you :12_slight_smile:

It would be very unusual for an autumn mated queen to be outside the hive , and there should certainly be eggs in there 

• Agree 4