tom sayn

accountant

can anyone recommend me a  good accountant, please.

i would much prefer someone who is experienced to do this work for beekeepers.

also would like someone who sees his/her job as providing a service for their clients rather than making sure i pay the maximum tax.

This isn't a direct answer, more of a comment. I've never earned enough to fancy giving any more $ to other people than I could possibly avoid. I used an accountant for about ten years when I started out on my own several millenia ago. This accountant never provided anything more than a tax return which was all I wanted. I got round to thinking the $400 was money for jam for her. And she wrote down bigger fibs than I would have, but I still had responsibility for them.

For years now I have done my own end of year thing. IRD do not require a full set of double entry chartered accountant type accounts. I give them a simple one page combined profit & loss statement and statement of assets/liabilities. Easy. Even easier if you invest in a simple Cashbook program like "Cashbook complete" (NOT MYOB !!)

A punch of a button gives you any end of year report you want as well as GST returns.  For a small operation, tax is really straight forward, particularly if all done on line, there's no need to fill in reams of IR3 s.

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Our accountant bill is 800 a year the money she saves us pays for her services many times over. Find someone local they don't need to be a charted accountant if you are not to big 

46 minutes ago, glynn said:

the money she saves us pays for her services many times over.

How do you know ? Have you ever done it yourself ?

It all depends on what you want.  If you only have a small operation and only want to meet your tax obligations then you can do what @yesbut does and do it yourself.  If you are are a large commercial with bank loans etc then you will have requirements under your banking covenants to provide them with accounts prepared according to certain requirements so they can see how profitable you are and whether you are solvent.  You may even need  a budget and cashflow projection to show that you able to pay the interest and repay the loan(s).  You will almost certainly need all these if you want to get a loan off a bank.

Today's Accountants do not just prepare your tax return.  They are business advisors  and can give you business advice, provide KPIs for your business.  Provide benchmarks for your business against industry standards both nationally & locally.

It would be no different if you wanted medical help.  If you cut your finger you would just clean it yourself and put a sticking plaster on it.  If you have a deep cut and needed stitches you would go to your GP or the hospital A & E.  If you cut it off  completely then you would need to go to an orthopedic surgeon to have it sewn back on. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Good Info 1

12 hours ago, tom sayn said:

also would like someone who sees his/her job as providing a service for their clients rather than making sure i pay the maximum tax.

The service provided can be affected by the information given to the professional to do their work. CICO- Rubbish in Rubbish out( avoiding the naughty word censor). The more the professional has to dig for information- the more the cost- and the less likely they will be able to maximise  your tax breaks.

• Like 1

Get a local accountant.

Mines great but he's in Gisborne.

Why do you need a local, with the internet your acct could be at the other end of the country, I would get someone you can work with.

Accountants are 1 part of being in business, you need good legal, insurance, asset protection etc, they should all be helping and working for you.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Why do you need a local, with the internet your acct could be at the other end of the country, I would get someone you can work with.

Accountants are 1 part of being in business, you need good legal, insurance, asset protection etc, they should all be helping and working for you.

this is true but I think when you start up with a new accountant it is better to meet in person. Once you've been together for a decade, it hardly matters if either of you move to the other end of the country.

thanks everyone. it appears that the new person in office made some mistakes and that other issues could be resolved as well, so i probably just keep mine.

my wife does the book work and from what she had told me, i had enough. but i'm only a male and they are all women so i go with what ever they say (and live an other day)

i can't see myself surviving much longer in this industry anyway, so what's the point of a new accountant. a new job is what i need.

Let me know what sort of a new job you find. I sometimes think I need one as well.

Case in point.

Last week we recieved a contract for bee sites from a national forestry company. On the last page was a series of gross margins calculating what we were making off thier sites.

Operating cost per bee hive were $400. I'm presuming my wages come out after.

The monofloral manuka sites were yielding a profit of $1175/hive

The multifloral manuka sites were yielding a profit of $275/hive

The honey dew sites were yielding a profit of $50/hive.

The multifloral bush sites were yielding a loss of $40/hive.

I guess that indicates why we are all chasing Manuka.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tom sayn said:

i can't see myself surviving much longer in this industry anyway, so what's the point of a new accountant. a new job is what i need.

Why is that?

Is it the weather and poor seasons or the changing nature of the industry .

@jamesc honey has at least doubled in price in supermarkets.

And that's not including Manuka honey. 

If it is uneconomic for beeks at current prices how did they ever turn a profit when honey was cheaper.

4 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Why is that?

I would say it's more to do with the competitors and the changing nature of the industry.

Beekeepers used to make next to nothing, they were friendly and open toward each other and helped one another, how times have changed.

I have considered getting a day job too, I think probably most of us have with this Manuka standard, MPI has made it very difficult for us on top of all the skullduggery that was already going on.

I am lucky, my sites are pretty secure and are in the middle of farms of people who I have known all my life, and I'm from a farming background.

If I wasn't there would be no chance I'd be even attempting to beekeep commercially.

Its just more of the same scrapping over sites which is upsetting most beekeepers, and so it should, there has been a lot of greed from some landowners in the last 5 years that has seen people sticking their hands out and expecting huge returns for essentially renting about 10sq metres of land,

with little understanding of the amount of cost, work and skill that goes in to managing productive beehives.

And there are other beekeepers telling these landowners porkies and saying "hey kick them off because I will pay you more"

Times is hard.

Nobody enjoys dealing with the level of polictics and uncertainty we are currently dealing with.

It's very stressful and has turned a very enjoyable job into a real chore where you wait for your so called friends to stab you in the back.

I am actually very wary of helping people now and that makes me pretty sad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

It is ironic that when there was no money in bee keeping it was fun , a great lifestyle , people were caring and civil.

Money really is the root of all evil .

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Money really is the root of all evil .

Hardly anyone voted for the moneyfree party so it must have something going for it

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Why is that?

@Daleysummed it up quite nicely so i go with that.

don't feel like ruining my morning by explaining myself any further.

already had a bad night after i had to burn an afb last night....

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Hardly anyone voted for the moneyfree party so it must have something going for it

Did you ?

Just now, tom sayn said:

@Daleysummed it up quite nicely so i go with that.

don't feel like ruining my morning by explaining myself any further.

already had a bad night after i had to burn an afb last night....

Burning a hive must be gut wrenching .

I am grateful I have not had to do it yet.

After 3 years of trying my 3 hives are finally looking good this spring and I have got attached to them .

6 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Did you ?

At the local body ones yes.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@jamesc honey has at least doubled in price in supermarkets.

And that's not including Manuka honey. 

If it is uneconomic for beeks at current prices how did they ever turn a profit when honey was cheaper.

Not sure "Oh windswept one".  Honey prices have certainly improved ... perhaps it's somthing to do with economies of scale. For the smaller commercial running 1500 - 2000 hives one still needs all the machinery- utes, trucks, forklifts, extraction plant, twice yearly inspection permit,labour.... it all sucks the fat out of the system beforr some gold falls out the bottom for the owner.

This year we run a very lean ship. No extra labour unit, two trucks mothballed ,reluctant to pay exorbitant site rentals on marginal sites and definitely no fly ins to EastCoast Kanuka.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And on top of all that household costs have continued to go up year on year which I think is the biggest contributor. Yes once upon a time you could have run on the smell of a oily rag but those days have passed us all by.  I don't live a flashy lifestyle and we have three children that seem to have inherited my genes for height and are reaching their potential very quickly . We are mostly clothed with second hand, a bit harder for me to find clothes that fit my frame. I have setup bees and woodware as a lifestyle change for me but not solely relying on bees for living off. My awesome wife works 4 days a week, I now get a chance to go on school trips with our kids. I am going back to the sawmill for 3 days a week after the school holidays just to keep the regular income cycling through the bank account. Based on the last two springs I certainly wouldn't want to be a commercial beek with the additional costs of feeding bees etc, it's been bad enough trying to manage my small holding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, dansar said:

And on top of all that household costs have continued to go up year on year which I think is the biggest contributor. Yes once upon a time you could have run on the smell of a oily rag but those days have passed us all by.  I don't live a flashy lifestyle and we have three children that seem to have inherited my genes for height and are reaching their potential very quickly . We are mostly clothed with second hand, a bit harder for me to find clothes that fit my frame. I have setup bees and woodware as a lifestyle change for me but not solely relying on bees for living off. My awesome wife works 4 days a week, I now get a chance to go on school trips with our kids. I am going back to the sawmill for 3 days a week after the school holidays just to keep the regular income cycling through the bank account. Based on the last two springs I certainly wouldn't want to be a commercial beek with the additional costs of feeding bees etc, it's been bad enough trying to manage my small holding.

It good you still have all the energy to do all that.

I was super energetic when I was young , energy to burn.

I do not think I was as efficient as lower energy people.

now I am over 60 I am a lot more efficient and a bit ashamed of how judgemental I used to be of less go hard types .

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Burning a hive must be gut wrenching .

I am grateful I have not had to do it yet.

it's more the fear of what is about to come.

there is a time bomb ticking and we have decided to just ignore it and make hay while the sun shines.

there seems to be the biggest boom of beekeepers entering i've ever noticed right now.

i have decided to supply them with bees.

at least i know they most likely start off with afb free hives but this might change very quick considering what's happening now.

some things have to get worse before they get better and once all these yuppy type new beekeepers have to burn hives with all the plastic in populated areas, maybe some pencil pushing sleepyhead will awaken.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1