Greg S

Varroa and using Burgess Insect fogger

Does anyone have any experience using one of these Foggers and in particular knowledge of a source of ethanol ?

Is there a reason that isopropyl alcohol or methylated  sprits cannot be used?

I am informed 25 grams of Oxalic acid to 100 ml alcohol is standard?

Comments appreciated

I have been experimenting with a fogger using mineral oil and wintergreen.

Trevs Bees has a good YouTube post about this with Neil Farrer in Wanganui

Its been relatively successful with a consistently low mite count.

I imported the fogger from the US for about $150. I was planing to try using it with Oxalic Acid however getting the alcohol is next to impossible as you need very high grade alcohol (Yet its available over the counter in the US!). The best place to get the alcohol is a distillery but its not cheap, about $75 per 500ml. There are also issues around keeping the fogger clean as the acid is very corrosive.

I wouldn't use meths as this is essentially alcohol that has been coloured and flavoured ("denatured" to use the technical term) so may have an effect on the bees. I'd be interested to know how you get on if you use this. I couldn't find much information about the use of meths or isopropyl alcohol in foggers.

• Agree 1

Meths vapor is leathal to bees.

I spilt some on a frame that was outside the hive and then inadvertently put the frame back in the hive.

Result, better than 50% kill of bees

Ive copied this from Dave black's post on the BOP bee group page

"and the famous ‘Crowley cup’ for monitoring mite levels (presented by the ‘inventor’). I considered checking mites on the hive we opened but decided against it." 

Alc washes in any device are superior to sugar shakes IMO however,

It can be truly disturbing to look closely at how many bees are killed in a proper Alc wash

The way I do them I shake all the bees from a brood frame into a tin lid then have a look for the queen if I haven't already sighted her in the box on another frame.

then I place the empty wash bottle on top of the open box an tip the bees from the lid into the bottle.

This will usually use half the bees from a good frame of brood which is a  totally unacceptable loss from a smallish struggling hive.

55 minutes ago, Philbee said:

This will usually use half the bees from a good frame of brood which is a  totally unacceptable loss from a smallish struggling hive.

Which is probably about five times the recommended number of bees ?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Which is probably about five times the recommended number of bees ?

Thats the thing, it isnt too many bees.

300 bees is a lot of bees from a small hive

On 9/19/2017 at 10:16 PM, Greg S said:

I am informed 25 grams of Oxalic acid to 100 ml alcohol is standard?

So Wikipedia tells me the solubility of OA in ethanol is 237g/l

Is your information approximate?

On 9/20/2017 at 6:40 AM, Dave G said:

I wouldn't use meths as this is essentially alcohol that has been coloured and flavoured

More than coloured, it has methanol added (or worse) to make is poisonous.

4 hours ago, Philbee said:

a  totally unacceptable loss from a smallish struggling hive......

Yes, my thought too. And the objection that I could do a 'sugar' shake and save the bees just means using an inaccurate test.

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 6:40 AM, Dave G said:

I have been experimenting with a fogger using mineral oil and wintergreen.

Trevs Bees has a good YouTube post about this with Neil Farrer in Wanganui

Its been relatively successful with a consistently low mite count.

I imported the fogger from the US for about $150. I was planing to try using it with Oxalic Acid however getting the alcohol is next to impossible as you need very high grade alcohol (Yet its available over the counter in the US!). The best place to get the alcohol is a distillery but its not cheap, about $75 per 500ml. There are also issues around keeping the fogger clean as the acid is very corrosive.

I wouldn't use meths as this is essentially alcohol that has been coloured and flavoured ("denatured" to use the technical term) so may have an effect on the bees. I'd be interested to know how you get on if you use this. I couldn't find much information about the use of meths or isopropyl alcohol in foggers.

Hi, I'm interested in how this has been going and what the ratios are that you use.