Ahudot

NZBF Eek! Queen wasps already!

Had one land on my toast and peanut butter this morning. A really terrible year last year with wasps, is there anything I can do at this stage to try to slow them down? Beer and jam in a bottle trap?

Try swapping to porridge. They won't like that.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 6

Found one hiding under the lid of a hive the other day. Squuuuuiiiiisshhh ?

2 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Vespex will work now.

Not on your toast :ph34r:

• Haha 4

I have found five or six so far this year - mostly in the house.  They have been hibernating in my wood shed and when brought inside, warm up and begin flying around. Squash! I was thinking about putting a bug bomb in the woodshed and putting a tarp over the front to seal it best I could, but it's only about 10m away from the hives, and don't want to nuke them with the fumes. 

6 hours ago, Ahudot said:

Beer and jam in a bottle trap?

Yes that will work.  I caught about a dozen queens like that last year and noticed a big drop in wasps in the autumn.

On 9/15/2017 at 2:37 PM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Vespex will work now.

True?

Does the queen seek protein now/this time of the year?

They seek protein whenever they have grubs to feed, just like bees seek pollen.

• Agree 1

I suspect there are hundreds of Queen wasps for every nest that actually gets established but it still doesn't stop me squashing them when I see them. I got three yesterday actually inside beehives and they crunched pretty good. I would think over 90% of wasp around here are German wasps. What is everyone else finding.

2 hours ago, john berry said:

I suspect there are hundreds of Queen wasps for every nest that actually gets established

It is known that migrating  Q waps  have a very low survival rate

I've seen a few in the past week, trying to pick the bees out that are in the grass below the hive. I have put vespex out this weekend as I lost hives to the wasps last autumn. How long do you leave it out for ? I know the recommendation is that you throw it away after 8 days, just wondering if this is sufficient time.   

3 minutes ago, anniiee said:

I know the recommendation is that you throw it away after 8 days, just wondering if this is sufficient time. 

As an approved operator you probably know why that recommendation is there ?

Edited by yesbut
  • Agree 2

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 2:37 PM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Vespex will work now.

3 hours ago, yesbut said:

As an approved operator you probably know why that recommendation is there ?

I'll rephrase my question, yes I know that it is for safety reasons that it is removed, I just wondered whether given that we have a significant wasp problem whether anyone leaves it in for anything different to the recommendation. I'll follow the recommendations and put some cat food out following this just to check :$

16 minutes ago, anniiee said:

I'll rephrase my question, yes I know that it is for safety reasons that it is removed, I just wondered whether given that we have a significant wasp problem whether anyone leaves it in for anything different to the recommendation. I'll follow the recommendations and put some cat food out following this just to check :$

On the two times I've used Vespex in anger there was minimal wasp activity on day three and none after day four. If you're still seeing activity on day eight then it won't matter how long you leave it out - they're clearly not on protein. 

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1