yesbut

Syrup, thick or thin ?

9 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Well you can't feed it to humans .

Bees are human also.  So there is your answer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, from all this then I would guess that refined white crystal sugar would be one of the least desirable things to feed in spring 

12 minutes ago, Julian_Taverner said:

So, from all this then I would guess that refined white crystal sugar would be one of the least desirable things to feed in spring 

It's ok if you add water 

Another thing to consider is if you feeding a weak mix your feeders have to be twice as big and you got to cart all that extra weight around. i use 9 litre top feeders and if I was feeding 1 to 1 I don't hink it would make a heckuva difference to a hive. Not to mention it would go off pretty quick if the bees were slow taking it.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Alastair said:

Another thing to consider is if you feeding a weak mix your feeders have to be twice as big and you got to cart all that extra weight around. i use 9 litre top feeders and if I was feeding 1 to 1 I don't hink it would make a heckuva difference to a hive. Not to mention it would go off pretty quick if the bees were slow taking it.

yes/no

often your only feeding small amounts, especially when stimulate feeding.2-4 liters is plenty.

if your doing bulk feed to pack away with stores then 2:1 is better as you can get more sugar into the feeder (due to the mix having less water).

i very rarely use 1:1. generally use 2:1 for everything but sometimes add a bit of water to it. ie turn it into 1.5:1 which i find tends to work a bit better.

Thanks for the replys. I’m seeing someone feed white crystal dry sugar (this week) & was wondering if there really is any merit to it. So far I cannot for the life of me see any advantages to it, other than not having to worry about feeding until you take honey off

5 minutes ago, Julian_Taverner said:

I’m seeing someone feed white crystal dry sugar (this week) & was wondering if there really is any merit to it.

afaik white dry sugar doesn't work as it goes solid.

typically raw sugar is used.

dry sugar can work well. bees tend to ignore it if there is honey stores in the hive and ignore it when the flow starts. 

downside is it doesn't stimulate like liquid sugar does. so they don't really build well on it.

used to use it years ago.

• Like 1

White crystal sugar is a waste of time. It sets hard after a bit of humidity and the bees can't use it. Raw sugar is the only dry feed.

• Agree 1

Dry raw will stop them dying of starvation if they have enough bees to work it but that’s all it will do.

I leave it on my hard to reach hives as a cheap insurance policy and it’s well worth it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Hi @frazzledfozzle  @john berry - we have been working really hard on a fondant and after quite a few trials, we are pretty happy with it.

Would love to send you a sample if you wanted to give it go and see what you think?

We also supply 2:1 and 1:1 Liquid sugar and Invert Syrup in all sizes and, subject to volume, can produce any Brix level required from 50 to 67.

If you would like a fondant sample, please send me an email with your delivery address jarrod@msugar.co.nz .

www.msugar.co.nz

www.apifeed.co.nz