3 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

are you sure this is not RMP standard.

its commercial kitchen, which is probably a step above whats required for RMP.

commercial kitchen is probably a bit more because it has to cover all perishable foods.

the list of things is typical for RMP and you certainly won't be able to do it for less than RMP requirements.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yippee I've done it.  Managed today to get thru the verification process with the Taupo District Council.   Passed all the requirements as an Extractor and packer of Honey, have my own registration nu

there is no requirement for your kitchen in the new food act. The whole point of the new food act was to throw out all the prescriptive requirements such that you are registered and not your kitchen.

I'm absolutely gobsmacked. This far exceeds what I thought was necessary under NP1 ????????

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Suppliers don’t have any financial stake in Open Country Dairy 

As the dog in the Toyota ad said "B*&/*r"  

P.S Sorry Trev for the "B*&/*r" , I hope you're not going to make me run around the block and do press-ups and stuff....it would not end well xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Oma said:

I'm sure there a few things missing it must be time for a nice cup of tea.

Thanks for all of the info, but I agree with Trevor. Are you sure it's not an RMP. It seems very excessive for a NP1 - which I thought honey could be processed in a verified domestic kitchen.

• Agree 1

Have it on good advice that any place, vehicle, room in a house, flash building, garden shed can be verified as for Extraction and Packaging of Honey as long as you can show you meet the standards and find a verifier who will pass you!

18 hours ago, BeeGirl said:

Thanks for all of the info, but I agree with Trevor. Are you sure it's not an RMP. It seems very excessive for a NP1 - which I thought honey could be processed in a verified domestic kitchen.

domestic kitchen, no. not ever.

its always been a commercial kitchen. if your going to sell food it has to be done in a commercial kitchen not domestic.

the above info is typical for a commercial kitchen.

i know a few who have built them over the years for producing food thats sold at markets etc.

one advantage is that a commercial kitchen can be used for any food.

my understanding of RMP is its restricted to only honey.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Oma said:

Have it on good advice that any place, vehicle, room in a house, flash building, garden shed can be verified as for Extraction and Packaging of Honey as long as you can show you meet the standards and find a verifier who will pass you!

afaik thats correct. the cavat here is "meet the standards".

ie there not going to be much left of a garden shed by the time you alter it to meet the standards.

• Thanks 1
On ‎9‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:34 PM, JasonK said:

So my friend has given me permission to extract my honey in his licensed kitchen. Can I simply extract in the licensed kitchen, get Tutin tested, jar it with nutrition info on it, then sell at market legally? I seem to be getting lost in all the political jargon? Maybe bullet points work better for blonde people..

It might just be a case of positioning things a bit differently to keep everyone happy

I would have thought its possible for your friend to do the extraction / jar the honey etc as they run a licenced commercial kitchen presumably doing higher risk things than honey... and they are already authorised to do this sort of work (and do it properly as far as the govt's concerned). You just need to go along and "help a lot" under his guidance ?

he could charge you a notional fee for processing the honey in his kitchen, then all you are doing is selling the honey only (you have not extracted and packed honey your licensed friend has)

1 minute ago, Ron GRG said:

(you have not extracted and packed honey your licensed friend has)

Thats a good suggestion. It’s along the lines of what I was thinking. However, I believe the issue is that one must have a license to sell. This is given by each individual regional council, and regardless of whether the premises has already been awarded its kitchen license, it must still be audited as part of the process to acquire the license to sell. 

Its now my understanding (could be wrong), that if granted such a license by the council, then one need not contact MPI. Regarding sale of honey in local markets in NZ;

•The honey must be extracted in licensed kitchen (+ inspected by auditor).

•Tutin testing must be done.

• labelling must be correct format 

•license must have been awarded by council after the audit 

•fees must all be paid (renewal fee every two years) 

23 minutes ago, JasonK said:

Thats a good suggestion. It’s along the lines of what I was thinking. However, I believe the issue is that one must have a license to sell. This is given by each individual regional council, and regardless of whether the premises has already been awarded its kitchen license, it must still be audited as part of the process to acquire the license to sell. 

Its now my understanding (could be wrong), that if granted such a license by the council, then one need not contact MPI. Regarding sale of honey in local markets in NZ;

ok keen to find a way through this as well :)

I've asked MPI what I need from my supplier to legally sell honey so will be interesting what they say ... if you think about it shops sell honey only they don't produce it but they insist that who they buy it off has all the appropriate paperwork.

57 minutes ago, JasonK said:

I'd be proceeding with extraction & packing as per suggested. If you're then worried about the legality of the actual selling, I really think you're looking for difficulty.

Just do it.  If any bridges arise, falling off them won't be a capital offence.

On 9/12/2017 at 3:03 PM, Grant said:

I was going to mention this but in the link it says 

• Giving honey to, or swapping it for produce with, your friends and family, is not regulated under the Food Act.

So it leaves things a bit ambiguous 

If you are your own crash test dummy and test the honey first to know its safe then what is the issue in giving it away we get given veg from friend gardens all the time. Our country has become a nanny state.

30 minutes ago, Alanbee said:

If you are your own crash test dummy and test the honey first to know its safe then what is the issue in giving it away we get given veg from friend gardens all the time. Our country has become a nanny state.

No doubt about that, but I guess the big picture is abut Brand New Zealand, and if we  are  to compete on a world stage then we need to be selling a product that  is 'safe' for the rest of the global community. To be selling dodgy product in house does'nt exactly inspire global confidence, eh.

• Agree 1

Has anyone seen the ad in the NZ Beekeeper (December), for the RevBee honey harvester? The ad states 'The harvester comes fully MPI certified with an RMP'. 

Doesn't look like there's hurdles to jump through with this one, as the process looks very basic. Interested to hear other veiws on this, especially from anyone who has got a RevBee harvester. There must be a catch somewhere.

• Good Info 1
18 minutes ago, BeeGirl said:

Has anyone seen the ad in the NZ Beekeeper (December), for the RevBee honey harvester? The ad states 'The harvester comes fully MPI certified with an RMP'. 

Doesn't look like there's hurdles to jump through with this one, as the process looks very basic. Interested to hear other veiws on this, especially from anyone who has got a RevBee harvester. There must be a catch somewhere.

not sure if thats a new one or the old one under a new name.

assuming its the frames scraper setup, theres always issues with the bees having to draw out the frames each time.

also typically you had to sell the honey to them and price was a bit meh.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

Someone commented earlier that with all the hoops that need jumping thru.. It's maybe easier to get some labels printed and just sell it.. Try a tablespoon first (  to test for Tutin  ) with our slack Justice system the most you'll get is a month's home detention if it ever comes to that.. Look at all the people selling food on Facebook.. Amazing! 

@Tomm, while your comment above might have been as a 'tongue in cheek ' comment, tutin poisoning is not. In the last 2 years the tutin level has dropped to a third of what it was, because of people who didn't correctly test their honey. This has caused a few headaches for those of us who actually make beekeeping our passion and livelihood.

Anyone in an area where tutin is present should test for tutin.

• Agree 2
  • 1 month later...
On 1/16/2018 at 12:42 PM, Oma said:

Thanks @BeeGirl  Well...... it depends on how much work you have to do to meet the standards. I suggest get the latest version to start working off as there has been quite a few updates!

We had a shed all it needed was, a room built in one corner to the correct specifications for a commercial kitchen, complete with stainless steel bench and hot and cold water provision, everything that will come into contact with the honey needs to be food safe approved, I have an oven to sterilize stainless steel, as wax covered utensils are hard to sanitize successfully, hand washing facilities with disposal towels and a covered waste bin, disposable head coverings and foot coverings, aprons and cleaning cloths can be machine washed but kept separate from the household washing, sealed washable floor and walls along with sealed light fittings, all opening windows with insect screens to keep out the bees, a pest control plan, install mouse and rat proofing around the perimeter of the shed walls, a toilet and hand wash basin installed and connected to the sewerage system 40 meters away.  Sort out jars, lids and labels to comply with the requirements for packaging.  Batch numbering for recall of honey if required, there is a notification requirement if there is ever a need for product recall.  All suppliers invoices to be kept, scales able to be verified and a "Certificate of Accuracy"  obtained annually to comply with retail trade. Records of Tutin testing for each batch of honey produced after 1st of January,  I keep each hives honey separate so that's a bit of record keeping to be shown right there!  Start up records, shut down procedure records, cleaning schedule records, staff training records my Drone leaves me to it so didn't need these, records to be kept if anything that goes wrong so you can prove what you did to mitigate it happening again.  We are on roof rain water unfortunately but we have ZERO fecal coliforms with a turbidity of 0.05NTU we are proud of that something not many achieve on rain water apparently.

Time it has taken... I'm not sure but we started a couple of years ago, makes me wonder we didn't give up just looking at this list, all for 500kg honey. 

Did I put the price of our honey up?  Yes I have to cover, some of these compliance costs.

Have I changed the way I process my honey?   Yes I thought I did a reasonably hygienic job before I started the verification process but now I do a much better job of it and I'm more confident with my procedures.

I'm sure there a few things missing it must be time for a nice cup of tea. 

Hi Oma  could I get in touch with you about bottling some honey, I have 400kgs. Phone number is on my page

1 hour ago, Donna said:

Hi Oma  could I get in touch with you about bottling some honey, I have 400kgs. Phone number is on my page

Hi Donna,  I'm very sorry but I have only set up honey extraction as a hobby and do not extract for others.  I'm am a retired 70 year old enjoying looking after my bees and not looking to expand in any way.  I'm not sure if there is anyone else in the vicinity but there is a beekeeping club in Hamilton that appears quite active.  Dansar may know of someone there.  Good luck in your ventures.  Kind Regards

Jose

40 minutes ago, Oma said:

Hi Donna,  I'm very sorry but I have only set up honey extraction as a hobby and do not extract for others.  I'm am a retired 70 year old enjoying looking after my bees and not looking to expand in any way.  I'm not sure if there is anyone else in the vicinity but there is a beekeeping club in Hamilton that appears quite active.  Dansar may know of someone there.  Good luck in your ventures.  Kind Regards

Jose

Thanks Oma I can appreciate where you are coming from, and thank you for the advise. Many  happy beekeeping days!!!!!