Bees out of sorts

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It looks exactly like bad karaka poisoning although you normally only see it in coastal areas where there is nothing else for the bees to work. I would have thought at your place there would have been

I am waiting for the pollen scientist to return from holiday but I have sent the samples from the deceased bees in for analysis so hopefully one day we will have more idea what was going on.

Kowhai

Posted Images

1 hour ago, john berry said:

I don't think I've ever seen bees with karaka poisoning with pollen on their legs . If the pollen is all the same then one or two pellets should be enough. Would you like me to pop round tomorrow and have a look.

I'll put a few pellets in a snap lock bag and drop them to you. You're also welcome to call by if you're passing. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, BJC said:

Good morning Rob, did you manage to follow up on what was ailing your bees and identify the problem.

The symptoms resembled karaka poisoning. I don't know of any nearby and besides don't think they would be flowering. 

I understand some varieties of kowhai have a narcotic effect on bees. My kowhai trees were certainly flowering but no idea if they are the narcotic variety. Also with three large Kowhai in full bloom I would expect to see more hives affected. 

Ultimately I will never know what they got into. I expect the source was some distance way away such that only two colonies got onto it. 

They probably lost a few thousand bees but you wouldn't think so too look at them now. 

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...

I have seen bees get very cranky and irrational on kowhai but I have never seen it do any harm. I do know other people that have had problems and I wonder if it is because there are quite a few varieties some of which may be more toxic. It definitely affects birds like tui some years more than others but round here anyway it is a far more benefit than not. It must be remembered that any spring source that attracts bees can lead to losses in inclement weather but those of the risks you take.