Tony Greathead

NZBF Alternatives to pine needles for smoker

On ‎2‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:37 PM, ChrisM said:

The cardboard rolls is a good solution to getting the air in. I have used half olive tree leaves and half pellets, that works too, but probably the cardboard option is better.

I used cardboard rolls a few times when I first started out in beekeeping and only had 3 hives to check. I found that the cardboard burn't down quickly in the smoker and a few 'smuts' came out of the end of the smoker, which occassionally concerned me when the ground was fairly dry. I then moved on to starting my smoker with cardboard and then packing it with dry twigs, this worked well. I now mainly use weathered sacking, but every now and again when I put mesh in my hive floors, I use the cut out wood, chop it up as kindling and use that in my smoker.  

20 minutes ago, Rob Stockley said:

Grains and Cereals do bales of compressed pine shavings on special, two for $20. I've been using them for the chooks' laying boxes. Never thought to use them in the smoker. Thanks

That is pretty much all I use. The stringy shavings from making hands holds are the best burning (long grain cutting).

its better if I use the dust extractor to collect it though?

IMG_0404.JPG

Edited by dansar
  • Like 1

On 06/09/2017 at 9:11 PM, Rob Stockley said:

Grains and Cereals do bales of compressed pine shavings on special, two for $20. I've been using them for the chooks' laying boxes. Never thought to use them in the smoker. Thanks

How big are the bales, @Rob Stockley? I brought a wool fadge from RD1 a few weeks ago that was compressed full, around the $80 mark.

22 minutes ago, Curious George said:

How big are the bales, @Rob Stockley? I brought a wool fadge from RD1 a few weeks ago that was compressed full, around the $80 mark.

I reckon you might get six to eight of these in a wool fadge. So probably cost neutral.

I expect they'd be easier to handle than a wool fadge.

• Agree 1