yesbut

More Hives Stolen

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Is hive theft more of a north island thing.

You do not here so much about it down south 

hearing about it is an issue.

many do not report the thefts

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, tristan said:

hearing about it is an issue.

many do not report the thefts

Why would they not report them .

Is it because they do not want to draw attention to themselves and maybe attract more thieving.

16 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Is it because they do not want to draw attention to themselves and maybe attract more thieving.

i suspect they can't be bothered

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

There were around 500 reported thefts of bees and bee gear last year. I know of one case where the beekeeper knew where the gear was but the police for some reason wouldn't act. If I catch someone they will experience some intense apitherapy. Thefts are happening in the South Island as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

The best part of the article - "Last week, James O'Keefe, 41, appeared in Hastings District Court on charges of burglary and receiving stolen property in relation to the large-scale theft of honey and associated products".

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

If they're not insured I would tend to agree with Tristan.

Why would you really bother, you'd have more chance of finding them then the cops, and you can guarantee if you find them first your not going to want the police involved if you'd rather have justice and steal them back.

Edited by Daley

20 hours ago, yesbut said:

the map is very interesting. they seam to pinpoint a place with a great many sheds, just like a reasonable sized commercial outfit would have.

• Sad 1

@tristan will that mean that the beeks they were stolen from will get there hives back.

i wonder what condition they are in now if they have just been stored in their hundreds on a site.

13 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@tristan will that mean that the beeks they were stolen from will get there hives back.

i wonder what condition they are in now if they have just been stored in their hundreds on a site.

i don't know a lot on that side of it, but the cases i know of the hives they can identify whose they are, they will get them back.

condition is anyones guess.

what i don't know is when they will get them back. they may be held as evidence, especially if the charges are contested, which may mean they get left to die.

in one case the beeks themselves went through the hives, worked out whose they where and just took them back regardless.

What a waste.

What idiots.

Causing all that grief for nothing .

• Agree 1

Awesome. Kudos to Hamilton-based company MyApiary. :)

• Agree 2

Some beekeepers do have insurance good hive ID and marked frames. Do go to the Cops with good info on the thieves but still don't get results or hives back. 

Double edged sword when hives stolen form different sites and kept together..... what diseases could spread between the hives?

Beeks need to communicate more and reference check more, there are people working in the industry stealing  the hives!. That is obvious in the media articles by the way the hives are selected which were stolen!

• Like 1

On 01/09/2017 at 9:15 PM, Daley said:

If they're not insured I would tend to agree with Tristan.

Why would you really bother, you'd have more chance of finding them then the cops, and you can guarantee if you find them first your not going to want the police involved if you'd rather have justice and steal them back.

Police cant help straight away even if you know wheres your hives. Very frustrating.

Does anyone knows whose the police can able to help to take action of stealing hives???

In The UK we use a uWatch Cube .. if you have a 2g GSM signal it will alert you within 1 minute if your hive moves.  Works anywhere in the world except Japan and USA where there is only 3g.  Sends a Notification to your smart phone

Edited by Norm
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Norm said:

In The UK we use a uWatch Cube .. if you have a 2g GSM signal it will alert you within 1 minute if your hive moves.  Works anywhere in the world except Japan and USA where there is only 3g.  Sends a Notification to your smart phone

I have 6 beehives total within cellphone coverage.

9 minutes ago, Daley said:

I have 6 beehives total within cellphone coverage.

Well that's about $90.00 per hive then :1_grinning:

We had a phone call around 10pm the other night. Someone telling us there was a ute parked next to one of our sites and a bright light up in the hive area. It's about a half hour drive away and as we raced up all I could think about was how devastated I'd be having to write off all the work I've put into building these hives. Lucky for us it was just some pig hunters poaching. It made me feel even more sorry for beeks  that do have  hives stolen.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1