September 2017 Apiary Diary

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bees! Bees! I have bees!. Thanks to our marvellous beekeeping community I am back in action. Thanks a million to @tommy dave for the hive, and @tudor and his friend for the delivery. I can't emph

A bit of Cororapa (nosemas) comb sterilisation - 50 deg for 2 hours and monitored with external temp probe.  You can do this if 1. You're a hobbiest with only a few frames and 2. Your wife or par

Just need 21c ..... Starters are starting to pump Jasper. Willows are probably ten days away yet to yield anything. On another note, and I don't want to skyte as it always seems to bring pro

Posted Images

Spring is sprung .... with more rain and snow forcast for Saturday.

I read in the latest farming paper Comvita posted a 5 plus million dollar loss for last year and is busy selling assets to keep people happy. We too made a loss for the last financial year and are busy selling assets ... bee mats and a retired bee truck, but the market is sluggish, to say the least.

Putting Apivar strips in last weekend I got to the last site of five hives and didn't have enough to treat last hive a double FD so gave it a dose of OA, went back to it yesterday afternoon ...all hives working flat out.

cracked open the hive top box very heavy, checked through and found 10 frames of brood and frames full of fresh nectar both boxes bursting with bees.put strips in and put hive together then thought jeez Now What too do....so I put a box of partly drawn frames on top and went home.

• Like 4
36 minutes ago, Chris Valentine said:

What is the main reason for the sluggish market.

Is it the uncertainty about what constitutes Manuka honey or the really bad season just gone ?

or have the overseas buyers go to austraila to get cheaper manuka 

Are they selling it there already .

Just now, Over Worker said:

Cold and wet here too.. reminds me of last spring.

29 minutes ago, Ted said:

Sixty mls of rain already this morning and another 25 to come!!  Welcome to spring!!

C'mon now, you guys are just trying to justify buying in some tanning lotion !

1 hour ago, Ted said:

Sixty mls of rain already this morning and another 25 to come!!  Welcome to spring!!

Yep, I'm heading out to move some hives that are perilously close to being washed away 

On the plus side though , sugar is cheaper than a year ago 

Edited by M4tt
5 hours ago, Over Worker said:

Cold and wet here too.. reminds me of last spring.

The weather is very similar to last spring.

Easterlies and weather systems from the mid Tasman.

I am concerned that the westerlies will come late again and ruin summer.

It has been absolutely hosing down.

I thought I'd set up some breeders tomorrow but I suppose not.

Typical spring weather.

If it's still like this in a week I will be very fit from having to walk in to the back of everyone's farms like a human sugar packhorse ?

@kaihoka the price of honey has tanked this year, and that's if you can even sell it.

A lot of buyers are not buying at any price.

I haven't had trouble like this to move honey before.

I am sure there will be quite a few people who still have sheds full.

Unless people have other means of survival or money in the bank I don't expect they'll be beekeeping much longer.

I think this is all because of the Manuka standard.

No one wants to buy honey to on sell when they can't be sure what it is and wether it's worth what they're paying.

The beek who has hives on my place told me at the end of the season that he had not sold his previous crop cause he thought the price would go up.

But he will be ok , he has only recently bothered much about honey , it is a byproduct of moving his hives out of orchards after pollination.

He has been a beek for 40yrs and is well resourced .

It is incredible that the decisions of a hand full of bureaucrats and technicians who have no skin in the game could have such devastating consequences on people's livelihood.

This situation may purge the industry of cowboys but I think a lot of responsible conscientious beeks who are in it for the long term will be hurt too.

• Agree 1
48 minutes ago, Daley said:

the price of honey has tanked this year, and that's if you can even sell it.

A lot of buyers are not buying at any price.

Care to share where you see prices sitting at the moment??  Lack of buyer activity has certainly been an issue.  I think most buyers had very large inventories from last season and so have been drawing on that to meet their ongoing demands rather than buying in more honey with the uncertainty of the Manuka standard issue.  Talking recently to a couple of buyers they both said their inventories have been reduced dramatically so they will need to become much more active again.  

I read in the latest farming paper Comvita posted a 5 plus million dollar loss for last year and is busy selling assets to keep people happy. We too made a loss for the last financial year and are busy selling assets ... bee mats and a retired bee truck, but the market is sluggish, to say the least.

oops .... pushed wrong button. I would have thought after a poor season inventories would be running low and the laws of supply and demand come into play with  a price rise. We still have honey sitting in the shed and honey on the hives as is was'nt economic to take it off and buy drums to put it in.  BUT, i need a new pair of cowboy boots so may have to lower my expectations.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Ted said:

Care to share where you see prices sitting at the moment??  Lack of buyer activity has certainly been an issue.  I think most buyers had very large inventories from last season and so have been drawing on that to meet their ongoing demands rather than buying in more honey with the uncertainty of the Manuka standard issue.  Talking recently to a couple of buyers they both said their inventories have been reduced dramatically so they will need to become much more active again.  

Ring comvita, tell them you've got some honey to sell and see what they say.

5 hours ago, jamesc said:

If a shareholder can afford a multi-million sport car(to ad it to his colection) it can not be so bad.

1 hour ago, Daley said:

1 hour ago, Daley said:

Funny, it was them I was talking to.

• Like 1