New Zealand Bloom Dates for 2012

I've been told willow honey is very light & watery & only good for the bees, is this really the case ?

probably watery because it still ripe.

willow flowers for a short time and weather influences it massively. thats why we really don't get much and what little you get the bees soon eat.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week I notice the most impressive display I have seen in 30 years of living in the Waitakere Ranges of Olearia Arborescens (NZ common tree daisy). It is fantastic. The other special thing I notice is the very strong scent of the Alseuosmia Macrophylla (Toropapa) is wafting in the Waitakere Ranges morning breeze. It just has to be the most fragrant of all of our natives. The thing is I don't think our bees give a hoot about either of them. It would appear as though this rather wet but not overly cold winter we have had here in Auckland has provided a very encouraging environment for a number of our native flowering trees and shrubs. See my earlier comments on other species that are blooming more profusely this year than normal.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

All I got this week is rangiora. Bah!

But from the orchards, kiwifruit (and I'm told apple, cherry...) has had the best bud break in living memory. It's just brilliant. Just hope we can keep it alive. You guys are saying the same, it's a huge year for blossom so far.

• Like 1

Have forgotten to keep this up over the last couple of weeks. I went down to the Coromandel 2 weeks ago and the Rangiora, Tree Daisy (Olearia Arborescens) and Kumerahou were all in full bloom on the hill road over to Whangamata. (27 Sept 2012)

Around home the Oratia Valley is now full of Apple blossom (what orchard is left), the Wisterias are in full flight and Kowhai are past their best. Early Rhododendrons are finished. Some of the Pittosporums are now in full bloom and the bees are very active in those. (7 Oct 2012)

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I dont know what the bees are working on, but when I took the apivar strips out of my Warre hive today there were lots of bees with orange stripes down their backs, they obviously had to get deep into a flower to get the nectar and the pollen brushed on to them, they didnt have any on their pollen sacs. Any ideas on what it could have been?

I dont know what the bees are working on, but when I took the apivar strips out of my Warre hive today there were lots of bees with orange stripes down their backs, they obviously had to get deep into a flower to get the nectar and the pollen brushed on to them, they didnt have any on their pollen sacs. Any ideas on what it could have been?

Orange stripes. Are you sure it was not red stripes. It could be you bees have become Katipo spiders with wings. :D:D

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...