New Zealand Bloom Dates for 2012

Auckland Hibiscus Coast 17th August, manuka flowering profusely in one warm little valley and manuka honey showing in the hives. Other manuka sites have just a few flowers and no new honey showing in the hives.

First karaka flowers at a site where there are karaka, (abnormally early i think), and yes, some bees writhing and kicking their last at the front entrance of one hive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted this else where but might be more appropriate here.

Managed to track a beautifully strong busy Bee line across a valley to a domestic garden that had flowering ground cover one of the "Grevillia" species - Bees just love it collecting nectar as fast as their little wings could carry them home. - we have to thank Australia for that import !

Also noticed that over the last few weeks bees have been enjoying single flowered Camillia and the ground cover "Winter Rose" - which is also a single open flower.

Rhondodendrons have been popular as well.

Plenty of pollen around - with Gorse, Wattle, Darwin Barberry and Daffodiles - many bright yellow pollen covered Bees returning to the hive!

The domestic herb "Blue Borage" been flowering for weeks putting nectar into the hive

Plums now in flower and full of activity as is peach.

The bee line I mentioned above is now even stronger, One almost needs protective gear to ward of bees that crash into you as I walking across (or through the line) - so thick and strong with so many bees returning across a hill top as they return to the hives

• Like 2
Posted this else where but might be more appropriate here.

Managed to track a beautifully strong busy Bee line across a valley to a domestic garden that had flowering ground cover one of the "Grevillia" species - Bees just love it collecting nectar as fast as their little wings could carry them home. - we have to thank Australia for that import !

The bee line I mentioned above is now even stronger, One almost needs protective gear to ward of bees that crash into you as I walking across (or through the line) - so thick and strong with so many bees returning across a hill top as they return to the hives

Send photos.

Sorry Roger - not sure if you mean the flowers or the bees ? - at any rate sorry were off to India in the Am for a fortnight so no photos - may find some Indian hives to photograph who knows !

Photo of the Beeline preferred but flowers are also nice.

Cheers

wow that is an early flowering apple. my 2 apples (monty's supprise and tropicana) are just starting to show buds now - maybe flowers in a couple of weeks.
It's in a really sunny sheltered spot and we've had a lovely spell of weather. The others in the paddock aren't doing anything yet.