Carniolan queen, bees and brood

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of @David Yanke queens I got last year. Did graft a few queens of her last year. Will graft a few more queens of her this season.    The hive has started building up nicely with a good b

I was tempted to say something but in light of the conversation recently in another thread I have held my tongue!! ...which I have to say is very unlike me! 

As far as I’m aware honey crystallisation has nothing to do with the type of bee it is produced by.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

those bees are so black, and she is so black !. i have never seen such a black queen.

was it tricky gluing the number on her head?

I was tempted to say something but in light of the conversation recently in another thread I have held my tongue!! ...which I have to say is very unlike me! 

• Haha 5
2 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

But from a purely aesthetic  point of view, leaving aside any considerations of productivity,  the black queen is pretty cool .

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Nope the black queen gives me the shivers, reminds me of some very nasty AMM bees we had back in the day :( 

Comparing Carniolans to AMM is like comparing Italians to African bees. Just because both Carniolans and AMM are black doesn't make them similar in behaviour just like Italians and African bees. Both are yellow but both have different behaviours. 

I know now everyone has their own opinion but from what I have seen with the hybrids of Italian/Carniolan, they are a good bees and most crosses are fine to work with. Might get the occasional ones which are a bit aggressive but that can happen even with purebreds. 

I haven't heard about anyone being chased around by bees like when we had AMM around. 

Most of my bees are hybrids except for the occasional queens I buy in from different sources. If they are good bees I make a few grafts of them and try to keep them going. Other than that I use my own hybrid hives to graft from which has worked for me so far. 

I am only a hobbyist though with less than 50 hives, Just like to try different breeds and different lines to see how they work and perform. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Jose Thayil said:

Comparing Carniolans to AMM is like comparing Italians to African bees. Just because both Carniolans and AMM are black doesn't make them similar in behaviour just like Italians and African bees. Both are yellow but both have different behaviours. 

Lol of course not. 

i was replying to kaihoka's comment on how pretty she was but to me she just brought back bad memories it had nothing to do with anything else I think we need to lighten up a bit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Nope the black queen gives me the shivers, reminds me of some very nasty AMM bees we had back in the day :( 

There are probably a lot of new beeks  , post varroa , who have had no experience with AMMSo black bees do not make them shudder.

My ex had bees back in the early 80s. 

I was really scared of them,  there were hives near the house and I had two small kids.

Luckily my ex lost interest after about 3 seasons.

It took me at least thirty years before I contemplated having anything to with keeping bees again.

Bees today are a very different animal !

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Daley said:

I think the black bees are beautiful.

But I don't want any lol

I collected a mangy swarm last season with a very dark queen. I was keen to keep her out of interest but the colony was not well. Paralysis virus and a couple of failed supercedures. Eventually I requeened with one of my own. They're doing well now. 

Colour had nothing to do with their health problems. They were just your regular abscond with baggage. All part of the fun of beekeeping. 

• Like 2
On 8/23/2017 at 11:28 PM, Jose Thayil said:

I know now everyone has their own opinion but from what I have seen with the hybrids of Italian/Carniolan, they are a good bees and most crosses are fine to work with. Might get the occasional ones which are a bit aggressive but that can happen even with purebreds. 

I haven't heard about anyone being chased around by bees like when we had AMM around. 

Most of my bees are hybrids except for the occasional queens I buy in from different sources. If they are good bees I make a few grafts of them and try to keep them going. Other than that I use my own hybrid hives to graft from which has worked for me so far. 

I am only a hobbyist though with less than 50 hives, Just like to try different breeds and different lines to see how they work and perform. 

I have quite hybrid bees in some areas because there are Carnis nearby, I have no black queens, though I have seen one or two stripey ones which I have been incredibly tempted to squash.

I did read on another thread about carni italian hybrids being aggressive, I have to say that I haven't found this to be true, all of my hybrid hives are much the same in temperament as my yellower hives.

I won't tolerate angry hives and they are requeened ASAP, I don't care how productive they are bad attitudes won't be tolerated.

I usually find about 1 grumpy one per season.

Someone around here is running Carnis in a big way I suspect and I do know of one or two who were deliberately breeding hybrids.

I pick the goldest bees I can find to breed from as I'm unfortunately exposed to huge amounts of black drones.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Emile Wilmar said:

is it possible that there are some amm genetics coming through in this carniolan queen?

I don't think there will be any AMM genetics coming through because they are part of a closed mating program run by David. But you never know, There may be some AMM genetics in it. The bees are calm and easy to work with though.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Daley said:

I have quite hybrid bees in some areas because there are Carnis nearby, I have no black queens, though I have seen one or two stripey ones which I have been incredibly tempted to squash.

I did read on another thread about carni italian hybrids being aggressive, I have to say that I haven't found this to be true, all of my hybrid hives are much the same in temperament as my yellower hives.

I won't tolerate angry hives and they are requeened ASAP, I don't care how productive they are bad attitudes won't be tolerated.

I usually find about 1 grumpy one per season.

Someone around here is running Carnis in a big way I suspect and I do know of one or two who were deliberately breeding hybrids.

I pick the goldest bees I can find to breed from as I'm unfortunately exposed to huge amounts of black drones.

The big black drones here are disappearing in favour of yellow drones.

Surprising cause the back ones look much bigger and more vigorous.

I currently have three hives , that on a scale of 1 to 10 , where 10 is unworkable , I'd give them a high 8.5 . The type that chase the hive tool and kamikaze sting my hands up to 30 times , and that's moving really slowly so as to not aggravate them . I'm certainly not proud of them but I tolerate them just to track their temper over the queens life really . 

Once I get more fussy about hive temper , I'll not bother to carry on with them . They are good for a learning curve though . 

They are home bred Waikato Hybrids . One of the commercials near me runs bees that will attack from across the paddock . Mine aren't that bad 

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First cross are normally fine, it's the later ones you have to watch out for. Carniolan's round here anyway are fine on a good day but commercial beekeepers can't always pick the weather to work. I don't have to work with them but one of my sons does sometimes and what he has to say about them on a grotty day would get me heavily moderated.

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@M4tt what colour are your bees ?

On 25 August 2017 at 8:13 PM, M4tt said:

I currently have three hives , that on a scale of 1 to 10 , where 10 is unworkable , I'd give them a high 8.5 . The type that chase the hive tool and kamikaze sting my hands up to 30 times , and that's moving really slowly so as to not aggravate them . I'm certainly not proud of them but I tolerate them just to track their temper over the queens life really . 

Once I get more fussy about hive temper , I'll not bother to carry on with them . They are good for a learning curve though . 

They are home bred Waikato Hybrids . One of the commercials near me runs bees that will attack from across the paddock . Mine aren't that bad 

Wow if I had bees like that I'd be giving the Q the chop.   Ive got the Queen stock to the stage now I don't wear any gear anymore but just use a smoker  Of course I get stung daily but usually on the fingers as I've squashed up against a bee.  There is always the odd hot hive for one reason or another or a bee who wants to pick a fight even after being smoked but I'd say 3/4 the time you get hit in the face you can squash it before it stings and other times you just cop a sting - it beats wearing the gear all day  The Qs I have are usually one or two years old so there is little opportunity for second generation crosses and temperament issues which makes this approach possible.

• Like 2