Phil46

Venom pro vapouriser

You guys are crazy even contemplating OA Vapor IMO

Why would you use it?

Its time consuming and dangerous
Christi's comments might be relevant to the Hobbyist with a couple of Hives but  to do 1000 every week for a month or more is serious stuff.

It will absorb through your skin and likely get in your mouth 
Working in a cloud of it for hours on end will see it build up in your clothes, hair  and vehicle

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Over Worker said:

To day I bought a couple of respirators for wife and myself they've got cartridges on them for gas vapours, Someone was sitting on a hive one day while it was being  vapourised then a few days later there was some trouble in the ladies department ... and apparently a respirator is going to prevent that from happening again :/

Or don’t sit on beehives....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Why would you use it?

Christi's comments might be relevant to the Hobbyist with a couple of Hives but  to do 1000 every week for a month or more is serious stuff.

I admire any person using a vaporiser for more than 10hives in more than 2 sites. It is very time consuming. 

12 hours ago, Philbee said:

It will absorb through your skin and likely get in your mouth 
Working in a cloud of it for hours on end will see it build up in your clothes, hair  and vehicle

So you become a toxic beekeeper ? But seriously ..... I kinda like the idea behind going around in mid july and giving everything a bit of vapour ...... insurance  ?

Edited by jamesc

6 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I kinda like the idea behind going around in mid july and giving everything a bit of vapour

Workaholic.

10 hours ago, Josh said:

I admire any person using a vaporiser for more than 10hives in more than 2 sites. It is very time consuming. 

Systems and time management.

11 hours ago, Josh said:

Or don’t sit on beehives....

After some discussion that was the recommendation. 

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Workaholic.

job creation scheme

On 3/06/2018 at 3:09 PM, BSB said:

Seems like these have been used for a while now. How are people finding the effectiveness of these and the build quality/longevity?

I got a couple , build quality is good .

I would say hobbyist only as the need to cool down before recharge makes it a bit slow for commercial use.

I ended up getting 2 provap from nzbeeswax and they have worked well this season on the queen rearing hives , the only treatment  .

7 treatments on cell builders and 6 on swarmbox hives .

honey hives got MAQS and 2 treatments of vapour ,    

We don't do the cool down faze to its full extent, was dipping in a bucket of water before next hive but kept forgetting to bring bucket so developed another way that will probably cook the vapouriser eventually. ..hence the use of a gas marsk.

• Haha 1

On 9/06/2018 at 8:26 PM, Philbee said:

Why would you use it?

There are plenty of Commercials in Europe using OA Vaporization. But on that scale i totally aggree that safety equipment (eg an overall and a decent mask) would absolutely be necessary. There has beed quite some research on the health hazards.

The Time you need to treat depends on the device you use.

Every treatment has its strengths and weaknesses

9 hours ago, Christi An said:

There are plenty of Commercials in Europe using OA Vaporization. But on that scale i totally aggree that safety equipment (eg an overall and a decent mask) would absolutely be necessary. There has beed quite some research on the health hazards.

The Time you need to treat depends on the device you use.

Every treatment has its strengths and weaknesses

When I make these claims it comes from actual experience, and in order to try and make vaporizing workable at a Commercial level I spent considerable time and money trying different ways.
The first workable method that I used on a large scale was using six 3 gram vaporizers on a 15m Christmas Tree light type power cord.

This power cord attached to a 12 volt Socket on my Truck
Each vaporizer had  heavy duty Anderson plug attached to it's short lead so that it could be unplugged and move on to the next Hive in line as it finished its OA load.
To achieve reliability of the Vaporizers they needed to be of   very shout construction Electrically, Thermally and Mechanically.
Far more robust than anything commercially available.
However that was the easy part and the system, although successful was very time consuming and dangerous to the operator
To do a few sites is not a problem but to do 30 sites a week for at least a month is not viable and to assume that your Autumn/ Winter hives are broodless and only require a knockdown treatment is an illusion as without opening the hives and checking there is no way of knowing

The continuous stream Vaporizer on the other hand are faster but generate far more vapor and still requires multiple applications.
So from real experience I moved onto much better methods such as the Pams cloth and Paper Tape which many Beeks are having success with.
Both the Pams cloth system and the Gib Tape system are in such wide use that they have affected national demand for  those Raw Products

Its time  to move on and there are many Beeks out there now doing just that and more

• Like 3