Venom pro vapouriser

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

POPEYE

For a minute I thought Philbee was out of detention and back !

When I make these claims it comes from actual experience, and in order to try and make vaporizing workable at a Commercial level I spent considerable time and money trying different ways. The first

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Phil46 said:

Evening all,just asking if someone knows where I could purchase one of the Venom pro vapourisers?

The guy is based in Lower Hutt and sells through TradeMe

He doesn't have any listed at the moment but if you message him through another listing he should be able to help.

• Thanks 1
  • 9 months later...
5 hours ago, BSB said:

Seems like these have been used for a while now. How are people finding the effectiveness of these and the build quality/longevity?

Hi @BSB, I’ve had one of the Venom Pros for about six months and have found it very robust and well made.  It does the job really well. 

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Make sure you protect yourself when vaporizing OA
Full respirator required or Renal damage WILL result

Been there done that

@Philbee, was your health issue due to exposure over a long time or can you pin it on one specific event?

5 hours ago, BSB said:

Seems like these have been used for a while now. How are people finding the effectiveness of these and the build quality/longevity?

We have two and they work very well, you do have to be careful with them as in make sure hive entrances are big enough to insert vapouriser. HD floors are pretty hard on them so I swapped back to all wooden floors to increase effectiveness. Any floors with ventilation the bees can fan the vapour out very quickly. 

The spade on the vapouriser can get a bit loose and wobbly but they still work fine, we run around with two car battery's two vapourisers  seven sites  78 hives in less than a day. 

That's how we do it anyway. 

• Good Info 1
32 minutes ago, Rewi1973 said:

@Philbee, was your health issue due to exposure over a long time or can you pin it on one specific event?

One winter if I remember correctly

Definitely not over a long period

In fact I suspect that you could damage your health really quickly if you get too much of this stuff into your lungs

• Like 1
6 hours ago, BSB said:

This summer I ran into problems with my vaporizer.

All my fault , I used a too small sealed battery and it didn't vaporizer the OA properly for the DB box. Need bigger battery.

It was ok for a single.

I have plastic HD bases with a landing board built on  and it is hard to get the  vaporizer under without melting them .

I have to Jack them up and seal around the bottom edges .

I only have 4 hives  So all the hassle is ok .

15 hours ago, kaihoka said:

This summer I ran into problems with my vaporizer.

All my fault , I used a too small sealed battery and it didn't vaporizer the OA properly for the DB box. Need bigger battery.

It was ok for a single.

I have plastic HD bases with a landing board built on  and it is hard to get the  vaporizer under without melting them .

I have to Jack them up and seal around the bottom edges .

I only have 4 hives  So all the hassle is ok .

If you are serious about vaporizing here is a photo of how they need to be built in order to withstand thousands of applications without becoming unreliable

No wires should go anywhere near the head as seen with this one, both the negative and positive conections are of copper tube

5mm copper tube will self thread onto a glow plus post

Copper negative on right is crimped into Ali block and copper positive threaded onto glow plug post 

Both insulated from each other

image.thumb.png.d286a0b86749561c8b72b9b75581b27a.pngz

Edited by Philbee
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, BSB said:

Is this a home made job Philbee?...Serious as a heart attack! 

Yes, All my stuff is a home job so cost doesnt come into it.

Make it bullet proof whatever the cost which is usually the cost of trial and error

Actually there is unseen robustness in this Vap 
Inside the loop of copper tube on the right and into the crimp zone is a piece of 3mm diameter stainless steel rod to strengthen the crimp and make the copper tube unbreakable 

Edited by Philbee

Unfortunately my handyman skills dont run to this extent so it will be a case of buying an off the shelf product or getting a local to engineer or manufacture one. At this stage I am working through whether this will be all of part of my varroa treatment regime...while I loath to give the money to large chemical companies strips have worked for me up to till now and still do. It may be a transition year as we get things locked down and gain knowledge...in the end even if the cost including labour was the same I would rather use this as I'd rather pay more treatment labour and less chemical than the other way round. If it is cheaper and/or better that's an even better result!

• Like 2

At a guess, for an engineer to make these in a small run with 6mm Cables and an Anderson plug to hook into a daisy chain extension lead, which is the only economical way for a commercial to go, I see each unit costing about $300-$350 

Having said this, there is a good reason why I have a bucket load of these things sitting idle.
The paper Tape Strip system is many many times more effective and economical than using these 

They are on different Planets

Edited by Philbee

I’ve had one of these vapers for over two years now and still going strong. But I’m a hobby keeper. 

What i I like best about it is that it fits through a 10mm entrance. I make all my nuc boxes with a 10x50mm entrance so I can insert this vapouriser. Same with swarm boxes. 

• Like 1
On 3/06/2018 at 9:16 PM, Philbee said:

In fact I suspect that you could damage your health really quickly if you get too much of this stuff into your lungs

I just bought a full face mask 3M and it was 400$ and 33$ for the filters but that's better than having ######ed kidneys

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I was in Bunnings today doing a bit of R&D for vaporizers. Last year at the conference was a bazooka type vaporizer that worked off compressed air and cost about 5 or 7 grand. So .... after a lot of thinking laterally ..... Bunnings have a battery operated blower for $149.  So, we got air. How about we put a burner at the end of the blower with a shotgun type magazine assembly that delivers  an o/a dose into the burner on the slide of a chamber loader. Pull the trigger and hey presto, the burner kicks in, and a few seconds later the blower fires up and waftes acidic vapour into the hive entrance. 

The main thought I had as I wandered on into the kitchen section was that probably the acid  will burn out the motor in abput one bee yard.

Any thoughts ?

On 3/06/2018 at 9:16 PM, Philbee said:

OA vapour is highly irritating to the mucous membranes. 
It may sound terrible but as a matter of fact it makes the whole thing "safer". You will immediateley realize if you inhaled something.

Thats why it is nearly impossible to get big amounts of that stuff into your lungs... as soon as you get the tiniest amount into your respiratory system you start coughing terribly.

Those tiny amounts which MIGHT get into your lungs will be absorbed fairly quickly (keep in mind one treatment will have about as much OA in it as 200g of spinach).

Of course that does not mean protection should be dropped.

If you do it regularly a good mask is a very good idea. I myself have found out that a fairly simple one which just protects against dusts was enough to not feel any irritating effect at all, despite standing in the middle of a dust cloud however.

• Agree 1
13 minutes ago, Christi An said:

OA vapour is highly irritating to the mucous membranes. 
It may sound terrible but as a matter of fact it makes the whole thing "safer". You will immediateley realize if you inhaled something.

Thats why it is nearly impossible to get big amounts of that stuff into your lungs... as soon as you get the tiniest amount into your respiratory system you start coughing terribly.

Those tiny amounts which MIGHT get into your lungs will be absorbed fairly quickly (keep in mind one treatment will have about as much OA in it as 200g of spinach).

Of course that does not mean protection should be dropped.

If you do it regularly a good mask is a very good idea. I myself have found out that a fairly simple one which just protects against dusts was enough to not feel any irritating effect at all, despite standing in the middle of a dust cloud however.

what happens if you like spinach ?

To day I bought a couple of respirators for wife and myself they've got cartridges on them for gas vapours, Someone was sitting on a hive one day while it was being  vapourised then a few days later there was some trouble in the ladies department ... and apparently a respirator is going to prevent that from happening again :/

• Good Info 1
  • Haha 1