JohnF

Robbed out AFB in Gisborne

The lovely email subject line that makes you grimace. Just a heads up to urban beekeepers in Gisborne that there's a robbed-out AFB hive in town. .. .Ballance St and towards Riverside Rd are a red zone (again)

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

A job for the dogs to find out which hives are now infected in the area! (pre-clinical)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@JohnF Yep, I got an email too. (My first ever rob out email). Don't have hives at home, but @Daley does and it was for her apiary. I would say it's my side otherwise I'd have got two emails!

• Like 1

Goody.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Rene Gloor said:

A job for the dogs to find out which hives are now infected in the area! (pre-clinical)

Well, the initial alert was 5km . . .that's 78 sq km Rene. The new alert is 3km . . .  .that's 27 sq km. Hope the dogs are fit ! xD

A couple of us were discussing the idea of a 1km alert  - perhaps just for urban areas. Heck, in some places it could be 500m and you still wouldn't know all the hives in the area

• Agree 3
  • Confused 1

Yep got the 5km email alert yesterday, A  3km text alert this morning followed by the 3km email this morning. Reminds me of a Shona Laing lyric "radiation over Red Square"

• Like 1

Over the years I've seen the results of many of these rob out events and surprisingly often the infections that come from them are not in or near the robbed out apiary but are more often one or more kilometres away. It would be unusual not to get some new infections from a rob out and I have seen rob outs where every hive within several kilometres has had to be burnt but fortunately this is the exception to the rule and it is not normally anywhere near that bad but still bad enough. Is it time that there was some sort of penalty for allowing AFB hives to be robbed out. I heard on the weekend from a credible witness that a corporate beekeeper left hundreds of infected hives in Northland a few years ago and only dealt with the problem when locals dump the hives back in their depo. Assuming this is true and I have no reason to disbelieve it it is either a case of gross incompetence or deliberately trying to destroy other people's hives. Either way I cannot believe that no action was taken against the perpetrator. I suppose it could have even been a case of paying back locals for giving it to them in the first place but even that if it was true would not be acceptable behaviour. I reported two dead hives last spring that were found on an orchard right beside a foul brood outbreak and as far as I can ascertain they were never checked. We must all do our part but authorities must also act when necessary or it all becomes pointless.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I totally agree in regards to a penalty John, there is no teeth in the current set up to actually make these sometimes repeat offenders realise what they actually cost the rest of us that border them. 

Do you think it's possible to set up some sort of co op that's independent of mpi that can self fund via its members to hound these guys til they clean up or give up? 

Penalties to cover inspection and burn fees and a 2 yr ban on keeping bees would be a good start. 

something needs to change. 

I would bet money I know who it was.

But I could lose my money too.

Potentially could have been a lot of people, but there's only one who it seems to be a recurring thing with in the city.

I like the idea of naming and shaming, but I also think AFB is not necessarily your fault, and is that going to stop people reporting it? I'll bet there's heaps of people who don't already.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Maybe name repeating offenders there's a list as long as your arm. How about helping the people who report AFB even help burning hives. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Daley said:

I would bet money I know who it was.

But I could lose my money too.

Potentially could have been a lot of people, but there's only one who it seems to be a recurring thing with in the city.

I like the idea of naming and shaming, but I also think AFB is not necessarily your fault, and is that going to stop people reporting it? I'll bet there's heaps of people who don't already.

Agree @Daley . . .while there would be an attraction to naming people who deliberately leave an infected dead-out but I would fear the whole scheme of reporting AFB would get further blended along leprosy line ! And then yes, less reporting of it.

• Like 1

More inspectors checking would be a good start, you would have a good idea who the lax operators were so could keep riding them. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JohnF said:

Agree @Daley . . .while there would be an attraction to naming people who deliberately leave an infected dead-out but I would fear the whole scheme of reporting AFB would get further blended along leprosy line ! And then yes, less reporting of it.

Think of it like HIV. No one sets out to contract HIV. People who do contract it deserve sympathy, privacy and support. I expect that would cover 99.99% of HIV sufferers.

The other 0.01% who negligently or deliberately fail to take precautions and spread HIV to others are criminals. The courts treat them as such and name suppression is unlikely. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Daley said:

I like the idea of naming and shaming, but I also think AFB is not necessarily your fault

curious on this bit. Completely agree re hives acquiring AFB, but surely allowing the AFB to progress undiagnosed until the point that the hive dies and is robbed out is the fault of the beekeeper concerned? and especially if the beekeeper is a repeat AFB deadout offender

Edited by tommy dave
more detail
  • Like 1

Yeah if they're dead when you find them then your an amateur and probably shouldn't be permitted to inspect your own hives, because chances are it was there last time they looked and they didn't see it.

It takes a while for a hive to die out from healthy.

As a general rule if they aren't healthy then they need an extra good look and should be treated with extreme caution.

I have lost count with the amount of people who have dead hives and don't know why. These people probably shouldn't keep bees, or at the very least need someone to hold their hand.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

U wanna come and hold my hand .....?

• Haha 5

On 23/08/2017 at 9:03 PM, Daley said:

I have lost count with the amount of people who have dead hives and don't know why. These people probably shouldn't keep bees, or at the very least need someone to hold their hand.

I think there's a big difference between not knowing why a hive died, and not knowing while being certain it's not due to AFB.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Apparently ApiWeb threw a small fit - the 5km warning should not have gone out but the 3km ones should have.  Out of interest did anyone get the 3km ones and NOT the 5km one? Or did everyone get both?

I have heard about more cases then I'd like this season already talking to other beekeepers.

Im a little surprised to only receive one email.

Hahahaha @jamesc I have a feeling I am seriously under qualifyed for that position, and you know that's not what I meant ☺️

Edited by Daley
  • Haha 2

Just the five km. 

Triangulation starting?

12 hours ago, Daley said:

I have heard about more cases then I'd like this season already talking to other beekeepers.

Im a little surprised to only receive one email.

Hahahaha @jamesc I have a feeling I am seriously under qualifyed for that position, and you know that's not what I meant ☺️

I think we'll close this thread. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1