Tomm

NZBF Much increased activity-Why?

Just noticed today.Much activity around both my hives.Large quantities of bees in front of both my hives.Much more than I have previously seen.Am waiting for good day to check theem out and treat for Varroa.ANYONE with suggestion as to why the much increased activity?

could be first warm day and they've found a flow, could be robbing, could be preparing to swarm, could be a heap of new bees on orientation flights. Open the hive up and see what's going on. If they're flying then the day is good enough to open the hive up. Are any of the returning bees carrying pollen? if so, robbing is fairly unlikely to be what you're seeing.

• Agree 1

For a non beekeeper who doesnt want bees @tommy dave, thats a pretty knowledgeable answer:)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mummzie said:

For a non beekeeper who doesnt want bees @tommy dave, thats a pretty knowledgeable answer:)

forum update eh. lost my avatar pic, lost my description of beekeeping experience. etc.

Easily fixed and an opportunity to reinvent yourself!:D

• Like 1

Very quiet here on the landing pad, but they certainly made up for it yesterday! Lots of nectar coming . Have fed my 4 nucs but wont feed my other 2 hives until Sept as there's plenty of pollen and nectar stores and capped brood. 

• Agree 1

@Bollo Silly question. but do your nucs all have queens?.If so when did u create the nucs and when did u put in the queens?

Tomm, spring is springing and sunny days bring out the bees. Swarming is a couple of weeks away.

Further to my orig piece-above.I opened one hive today and put in Apivar after cleaning up propolis.Bees had quietened down.I have 3 boxes, removed queen excluder in Autumn.Didnt see queen but about 7 frames of honey some pollen and about  6 frames of capped brood.ie 6 sides..Couldnt see anything amiss.After the 6 weeks of Apivar treatment if still any honey I was going to remove any remaining honey -maybe leave one full frame (marked so I don't gather it to eat) put the others away for next winter? They have Apistan on them from prev treatment.and maybe start with just the brood box and one honey box.( fill with any remaining pollen framesand new waxed frames.DO U experienced guys think that's ok.I wish I had treated them a few weeks earlier as there seems to be a lot of pollen gathering.I will check my other hive tomorrow.Any suggestions welcomed.

My 4 Nucs have over wintered well, as I had them sheltered in my shadehouse, without a roof! I recovered the frame with commercial quality plastic and it works great. My 5th Nuc was in the garden but was struggling from the start. I fed it with the others on 3rd Aug and it looked encouraging but on returning 7 days later there was 1 bee and 4 frames completely cleared out! No dead material but a little nectar. I think they must have been robbed but  I do wonder if it was queenless over winter? I am still  treating my 2 hives and Nucs with OA, with 3 treatments to go in this cycle.