Dave G

New Varroa Treatment?

I've read about this.. wonder how effective it is. It seems to treat incoming mites but not in the hive itself?

It seems to me to be just a different distribution method of (presumably) the same miticides than your traditional strips - and it is away from the broodnest so the nurse bees won't be stepping on it, which I'd imagine is not a benefit at all.

Happy to be convinced otherwise but unsure what the benefit is over strips - same risks around resistance etc.

Might be good in combination with other treatments to reduce the effect of reinfection from returning forragers. They don't appear to have revealed what the active ingredient is.

So maybe you have two Apivar sips with a series of 10 mm holes punched or drilled in them and fix them to entrance of hives...would that be similar or silly ??

2 hours ago, Over Worker said:

So maybe you have two Apivar sips with a series of 10 mm holes punched or drilled in them and fix them to entrance of hives...would that be similar or silly ??

I think Apivar strips lose their effectiveness if left in sunlight, so it might not work well for long.

• Like 1