What are bees foraging on at present

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of pollen coming in off the buttercup that has started flowering.

If only all town sections looked like this. I found this today on a lunchtime stroll through a new housing area. Its near an inlet so the sections are built up about 1.5 metres.  This is looking

The lavender will look fabulous, are you going for a purple plant palette? Kings seeds have fabulous plants and their seeds have a high germination rate. Let me know if you want some Lacy phaceli

Posted Images

My bees are in the rata vine .

It is having a big flowering and the vine is all through the  Bush.

Normally the bees do not pay it much attention and it has mostly wasps in the flowers.

But this year the bees are all over it .

It maybe  because it is flowering earlier than normal  and the temperatures are high so the flowers are producing more nectar.

IMG_20180305_192345-1074x1597.jpg

Edited by kaihoka
  • Like 4
9 hours ago, mischief said:

My three year old Hoheria is flowering for the second time, first time this week i see bees at the flowers.

I planted lots two years ago.

Good to know that at 3 years they flower.

15 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I planted lots two years ago.

Good to know that at 3 years they flower.

I would love to have enough land to plant heaps but only have a 1/4 acre. Mine is the Hoheria Populnea. I needed something that was not too wide and this one grows 8m tall by 3m wide.

My mums Koromiko is just starting to flower now too and this is always loaded with bees this time of year.

I havent eyeballed her tree yet this year but the cuttings she took for me last summer are also flowering, even as small as they are. I'm going down tomorrow so i'm going to check it out.

Must start a flowering/bees visiting diary!!

• Like 2

A piece of gutter with leaf screen with some fungus off the birch stumps in our back yard floating in the water.  I have another length of gutter with agrisea and water and they line up for that big time as well. Then there is the old fountain with just plain water that the local birds use as a bath and the bees line up for that too.  Maybe our lack of humidity here when its not raining makes for thirsty bees.  The Golden Rod is the flower of choice at the moment.

Golden Rod (2).JPG

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Oma said:

A piece of gutter with leaf screen with some fungus off the birch stumps in our back yard floating in the water.  I have another length of gutter with agrisea and water and they line up for that big time as well. Then there is the old fountain with just plain water that the local birds use as a bath and the bees line up for that too.  Maybe our lack of humidity here when its not raining makes for thirsty bees.  The Golden Rod is the flower of choice at the moment.

Golden Rod (2).JPG

I must grow that .

Is it easy to grow 

On 17/02/2018 at 8:26 PM, jamesc said:

That sweet aphid poo Honey Dew's running today.  Better bring yer bucket down yesbutt !

Starting to see a fair bit of aphid dew down our way have you noticed any impact on the bees wintering on it? I hear it can granulate quite bad?

@kaihokaI brought two Goldenrod plants off trademe from a lady in TeAnau.  This is my first year growing them and it looks like they will turn into a clump that can then be broken up.  I remember  reading it  grows wild in the states so will be keeping a close eye on it to see it doesn’t become a pest.  If It does what I think it will, I will give you a piece next season.  It’s flowering nice and late in the season the bees, including native bees and bumblebees are all over it.?

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

4 hours ago, mischief said:

My 7 finger tree has just started flowering and smothered in bees.

Koromiko still going strong, so too my geriatric prostrate rosemary. all loaded with bees.

Went for a peek in some bees this evening after "The men" gave me the bad news that the new extractor had wobbled once to often and cracked the welding .... blow me days  .... the Dew has gone ballistic and filled another 1000 boxes.  Perhaps we'll just leave it on for winter feed, or maybe we'll cut and run, pull the queen excluders and under super with a second brood box and extract some honey that is worth next to nothing.

7 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

We left our dew on for feed wasn’t worth taking it off :( 

yep, you're onto it, but with the warm weather it's comin in and the queen needs somewhere to put some babies.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
11 hours ago, jamesc said:

We extracted some Buckwheat honey yesterday . Now that is revolting.

so i have heard.

i grow it as green manure crop in spring. the bees love it .

myrtle rust has been found in my area.

most of my honey comes from myrtles.

• Sad 3
1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

myrtle rust has been found in my area

That's not been making the news!

And now the hill is open again the trampers & campers will accelerate the spread. I had better start reading up on identifying it.

3 hours ago, Mummzie said:

That's not been making the news!

And now the hill is open again the trampers & campers will accelerate the spread. I had better start reading up on identifying it.

On a residential property in collingwood and a commercial site pohara.

I had two Italian professional honey tasters sample some willow honeydew honey in Napier last year.  They thought it tasted better than manuka honey.  Guess it is all about what you are used to.  Honeydew honeys in Germany are often the product of aphids feeding on pine trees.  I have never tasted any of them though.