What are bees foraging on at present

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of pollen coming in off the buttercup that has started flowering.

If only all town sections looked like this. I found this today on a lunchtime stroll through a new housing area. Its near an inlet so the sections are built up about 1.5 metres.  This is looking

The lavender will look fabulous, are you going for a purple plant palette? Kings seeds have fabulous plants and their seeds have a high germination rate. Let me know if you want some Lacy phaceli

Posted Images

1 hour ago, black bee said:

@DeeGeeBee hmm interesting, well some of the leek flowers we have in the garden are pink? dose this mean there are male an female leek flowers?

@black bee  Yes, and no.  The ‘flower’ in your picture is actually many seperate flowers, some are male and some are female. When creating hybrids all the male flowers are removed from the round bloom, a process known as emasculating, and the other variety that has desirable characteristics is grown around the emasculated bloom.

As for your differing colours, could be nutrients in the soil, variations in watering, or just very slight differences from cross pollination.

Edited by DeeGeeBee
Adding tag
  • Like 2
  • Good Info 1
  • 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, CraBee said:

Saw the beezies working the clover, lotus and penny royalon a site today, with plantain (for pollen) almost done.  Privet seems to be going strong again.

Am I right in thinking that privet honey is only for bees 

8 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Am I right in thinking that privet honey is only for bees 

Privet is supposed to have a bitter taste but I've never noticed it as it seems to blend into whatever else they are collecting.  We've been quite fortunate really to have a decent amount of rain once a week for the past month and that is keeping things ticking along, especially the pasture weeds.  

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1
23 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Been some good regular dumps of rain down here too, has kept the clover flowing along with all the pasture varieties.. the flow is definitely not done for a while yet. 

While we have the advantage up here of a fast start to the season our main flow is definitely well and truly over - and was from just before X-mas - just too dry.   We're getting a trickle up here now with waxed frames being drawn out very very slowly, and a little bit of nectar coming in and being stored.  Back into harvesting tomorrow if the weather holds up, looking forward to getting that all done and dusted in the next few weeks.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Stoney said:

Been some good regular dumps of rain down here too, has kept the clover flowing along with all the pasture varieties.. the flow is definitely not done for a while yet. 

Amen to to that ..... brought bees back from the coast last w/e and had a nosey on wednesday ..... had to go home and get another box for them ....filled and capped clover.

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Amen to to that ..... brought bees back from the coast last w/e and had a nosey on wednesday ..... had to go home and get another box for them ....filled and capped clover.

There's serious amounts of pasture around most of our rata sites too , I'm expecting a bit to come in. 

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

Not obviously but ill have a better look tomorrow

It's the smell that gives away the  mahoe flowers.

My bees were very busy today , there is the last of the white rata vine and lots of catsear

2 hours ago, Rhsgc said:

The big magnolia in our backyard has 5-6 bees per bloom. Unfortunately the only reason I could count them was because said tree was cut down today - terrible conundrum for a beekeeper!

Is that the evergreen southern USA Magnolia ?

Found this tree at the local Arboretum on Sunday covered in bees and flowering profusely it is an Australian Water Gum and ironically called Kanooka in Australia.  Not sure of what the honey would taste like but fragrant yellow flowers.

Water Gum 1.jpeg

Water Gum 2.jpeg

Water Gum 3.jpeg

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, dansar said:

Ivy is flowering and lots of pollen being collected from it.

Autumn is just around the corner.

yeah .

i think summer ,as we now redefine it after January's temp,  , is over for the year.

but i had a swim yesterday.

On 08/02/2018 at 1:25 PM, kaihoka said:

yeah .

i think summer ,as we now redefine it after January's temp,  , is over for the year.

but i had a swim yesterday.

Caught  some grey boy and good rig off the beach at Okarito after work last night, on prawns. . Loving having 1100 colonies over there at the mo, although 900 of mine will be trucked east very soon.. 

lots of rata vine and cats ear, rata was cut short with the cyclone except the odd tree. 

Lots of big rimu down along with the odd farm shed flattened, luckily no hives got flooded but a couple sites were close. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Chill Out 1