MissEmmz

What are bees foraging on at present

14 hours ago, jamesc said:

Yes mr phil ....  I did have a thought today as we did our rounds that we should start to have a look at the mite situation in the bees. I don't need to get caught with my pants down ... again.

Whatever you do dont be tempted to lay  OA/GL shop towels across the top bars as an Autumn treatment.

This will lead to misery before spring

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

Whatever you do dont be tempted to lay  OA/GL shop towels across the top bars as an Autumn treatment.

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

why ?

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

why ?

Holy Bat Cowman

It doesnt work

4 hours ago, Philbee said:

Holy Bat Cowman

It doesnt work

I think it's  "Holy Cow BatMan".

Just askin bro ..... any update on the pawlonia wood ......

Finally today the rain started to soak the soil and it looks like it will not stop in a hurry.

I am wondering what can flower from the next weeks on. Not too much pasture in my area. However maybe tee trees - not too many either.

40 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I think it's  "Holy Cow BatMan".

Just askin bro ..... any update on the pawlonia wood ......

Yes, the timber is being pressure impregnated with the mix
This is not my baby so cant give too many details
The same source has supplied me with a few strips of GL/OA in an exotic cardboard/ wood composite strip and Im currently testing them
They are more rigid than Pams cloth but the bees appear to be removing it at a similar rate as Pams but it is early days yet.
If the pressure treatment of the timber works it will likely revolutionize the use of OA/GL.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 3

10 hours ago, Philbee said:

Yes, the timber is being pressure impregnated with the mix
This is not my baby so cant give too many details
The same source has supplied me with a few strips of GL/OA in an exotic cardboard/ wood composite strip and Im currently testing them
They are more rigid than Pams cloth but the bees appear to be removing it at a similar rate as Pams but it is early days yet.
If the pressure treatment of the timber works it will likely revolutionize the use of OA/GL.

Should we start planting some trees I wonder ?

Paulownia are very beautiful trees.

A grove in full flower is a wonderful site.

They hate wind .

Only if you like them
Its possible that some other species will be used depending on the trials.

eg pine

13 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Finally today the rain started to soak the soil and it looks like it will not stop in a hurry.

I am wondering what can flower from the next weeks on. Not too much pasture in my area. However maybe tee trees - not too many either.

Wondering the same here.  Glad that I did an extraction run on 27/12 as it looks like everything that is left on the hives will be needed for winter if nectar doesn’t resume.

Only my 2nd season here so still getting a feel for what sources are available and when, was definitely caught on the hop with nectar coming in from the last week in Sept.

• Agree 1

if i got any rata it was mixed with the kamahi flow, seeing as my two hives are pretty young i let them keep any honey they collected so they could build their numbers up, rata and kamahi flow blended in well to the pohutukawa flow so i took maybe 3 jars for birthday and christmas presents, seeing as there are about 10 pohutakawa trees still in bloom and a few flowering gum im hoping theres a bit of clover around so that my bees can hold out going into what will hopefully bee a very productive meterosideros fulgens flow so that they are really strong for next year

• Like 1

@DeeGeeBeeif you have tea trees in your area then you may be okay. They usually flower in January-February, occasionally in March too and you can get a nice crop of honey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

@DeeGeeBeeif you have tea trees in your area then you may be okay. They usually flower in January-February, occasionally in March too and you can get a nice crop of honey.

a few kanuka and manuka are in flower but i think the bees are laying offve them for the remaining pohutakawa and a few gorse bushes that're coming into flower atm seem to bee all the bees are keen on

• Like 1

On 03/01/2018 at 8:53 AM, jamesc said:

We put the last load of bees onto the west coast rata last night. The red is awe inspiring.... at midnight is was still humid and 19 c so all we can do now is wait for that big rain maker from up north to sweep down and pummel it."

They making any honey @jamesc ? Iv just got back from holiday still havnt taken my couple hives over to try fill a box for the cuboard, but i hear its flowering good

Edited by Jaspur M

38 minutes ago, Jaspur M said:

They making any honey @jamesc ? Iv just got back from holiday still havnt taken my couple hives over to try fill a box for the cuboard, but i hear its flowering good

Rata trees  3/4 finished here 

yes ..... they are making honey, but the forcast is'nt too flash for the next ten days or so and the clover on this side of the hill might be a better bet now !

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

yes ..... they are making honey, but the forcast is'nt too flash for the next ten days or so and the clover on this side of the hill might be a better bet now !

Does clover still flow when there are rainy conditions?

I have read it flows best in hot and dry .

We have hot and humid but the bees are still busy in it .

If I mow my lawn Will it flower again .?

Yes it should do just don't cut it too short. I have found that after a bit of rain and then the sun comes out the bees are back into it big time. 

Bumble bees seem to work it first thing in the morning, and then once it gets a bit warmer the bees will join in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

@black bee

your image ‘any of ya’l know

looks like an onion flower to me

sorry could comment on the actual pic

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Beefriendly said:

@black bee

Or a leek flower. The bumbles love mine but haven't seen any honey bees on them.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Beefriendly said:

@black bee

Most definitely an Alium of some sort, so onion, garlic etc.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Hellsbelle said:

Or a leek flower. The bumbles love mine but haven't seen any honey bees on them.

snap @DeeGeeBeeYep, Allium family garlic, shallot,chives, onion,leek to name some 

Dam yous were all spot on there, leak flower :D well done

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, black bee said:

Dam yous were all spot on there, leak flower :D well done

ha so it was a test?

leek not leak (unless it’s to do with fluid)

I have garlic chives that go to flower... too easy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beefriendly said:

ha so it was a test?

leek not leak (unless it’s to do with fluid)

I have garlic chives that go to flower... too easy

And I spent 3 years in the bulb industry in the Netherlands so can spot an alium a mile away, they are just bulbs after all .

• Like 1