What are bees foraging on at present

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of pollen coming in off the buttercup that has started flowering.

If only all town sections looked like this. I found this today on a lunchtime stroll through a new housing area. Its near an inlet so the sections are built up about 1.5 metres.  This is looking

The lavender will look fabulous, are you going for a purple plant palette? Kings seeds have fabulous plants and their seeds have a high germination rate. Let me know if you want some Lacy phaceli

Posted Images

Good year for clover flowering in the southland area this year - my bees are loving it :)

We haven't had much rain and I've noticed the bees are gathering around the edges of our sheep troughs, more so this year than in the past, to get the water that they need.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Too dry in Auckland, kind of "flow over" this season.

Yes that has been my concern from about a week back, and after peering in a few hives since it looks like its very slow.  And the bees have switched into robbing mode so that is not a good sign either.  We are due for some rain early in the New Year so heres hoping that juices things up again.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
1 hour ago, CraBee said:

Yes that has been my concern from about a week back, and after peering in a few hives since it looks like its very slow.  And the bees have switched into robbing mode so that is not a good sign either.  We are due for some rain early in the New Year so heres hoping that juices things up again.

I am concerned about what happens in a month.

Everything is flowering early .

Including the white rata vine , my Feb flow, it's flowering now .

With all the extra migrant hives around till April it could be a robbing nightmare .

3 minutes ago, yesbut said:

What exactly are you seeing to think this ?

A bunch of things:

-  Bees trying to get into the shed (honey / wax / sugar etc etc inside) when they haven't previously,

-  Bees trying to get into the extraction plant when I dropped the last boxes off just before X-mas when they hadn't on a previous visit,

-  When opening hives removing supers etc bees trying to get into them.

-  Bees packing up, saying their good-byes, getting ready for the journey down to see @kaihoka :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
48 minutes ago, CraBee said:

A bunch of things:

-  Bees trying to get into the shed (honey / wax / sugar etc etc inside) when they haven't previously,

-  Bees trying to get into the extraction plant when I dropped the last boxes off just before X-mas when they hadn't on a previous visit,

-  When opening hives removing supers etc bees trying to get into them.

-  Bees packing up, saying their good-byes, getting ready for the journey down to see @kaihoka :-)

No no no 

You keep your bees under control. :6_smile:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

wellington saw a crazy season for rata, 1 of my hives at my parents house was bustling during the kamahi/rata flow and both of the hives were very busy during the pohutakawa flow, we're coming to the end of that now so the bees forage seems to be diversifying. The main things im seeing them work are the remaining pohutakawas in flower, the next door neighbours lavender which they seem to love (but its a certain type of lavender that always seems to have a lot of bees around it), parsely and fennel, and ive even spotted bees on a few nikau blooms, has anyone seen many bees on nikau palms before? do nikau palms give the honey a nice flavour?

Yes I have seen bees all over nikau flowers.

Have you got pure rata honey.

I had big plans for pure rata honey on such a flow.

I kept the kamahi out of it but the bees have mixed it with something else light and sweet .

It may be clover.

The honey is not water white like rata.

But a local beek told me you can only get pure rata down the west coast where that is the bees only choice .

We put the last load of bees onto the west coast rata last night. The red is awe inspiring.... at midnight is was still humid and 19 c so all we can do now is wait for that big rain maker from up north to sweep down and pummel it."

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, jamesc said:

We put the last load of bees onto the west coast rata last night. The red is awe inspiring.... at midnight is was still humid and 19 c so all we can do now is wait for that big rain maker from up north to sweep down and pummel it."

the rata here is in its last stages of flowering.

is it just starting there ?

i have noticed that the bees ignore the rata flowers unless they are dry.

i do not think the coast will get the rain that bad and a decent sou west on saturday will dry out.

29 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

the rata here is in its last stages of flowering.

is it just starting there ?

i have noticed that the bees ignore the rata flowers unless they are dry.

i do not think the coast will get the rain that bad and a decent sou west on saturday will dry out.

It's been flowering for a few weeks now ..... better late than never. It's always a juggling act between Christmas, New Year and Bees. Evryone either wants holidays or time off at the wrong time . But then, June is no time for swimming at Shag Rock eh.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, jamesc said:

It's been flowering for a few weeks now ..... better late than never. It's always a juggling act between Christmas, New Year and Bees. Evryone either wants holidays or time off at the wrong time . But then, June is no time for swimming at Shag Rock eh.

Ok 

Where's shag rock ?

4 hours ago, jamesc said:

Do you get pure rata honey.

You know the white stuff that sets like kremelta.?

4 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Do you get pure rata honey.

You know the white stuff that sets like kremelta.?

Shag Rock .....  is on the Selwyn river up at Whitecliffs .... a deep hole with a large willow overhanging and a rope to swing on .... mostly cold but you get over it !!

The Rata is white , not quite as white as the snow we had the other day ...... foklore tells that where we are one year the bees gathered over 200 tonnes of the stuff. Folk lore being folklore , it grows with time. And what the heck is kremelta ?

• Thanks 1

Clover and Kanuka are the order of the day here

The season is panning out exactly as I expected
Very poor early bush crop and a solid summer pasture  crop.
This year I will treat earlier though as I found a mite in an alcohol wash  yesterday and where there is one mite there will be more

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

Oh ..... I did'n eat much choc as a kid, boarding school and all that  ....  so i'm still none the wiser

It's solid white coconut oil.

Sorry you missed out on choc as a kid .

I hope you are making up for it now .

• Haha 1