What are bees foraging on at present

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of pollen coming in off the buttercup that has started flowering.

If only all town sections looked like this. I found this today on a lunchtime stroll through a new housing area. Its near an inlet so the sections are built up about 1.5 metres.  This is looking

The lavender will look fabulous, are you going for a purple plant palette? Kings seeds have fabulous plants and their seeds have a high germination rate. Let me know if you want some Lacy phaceli

Posted Images

On 19/12/2020 at 12:21 PM, Philippa Thomas said:

There are masses of bees in the Titoki at present. Looks like some are gathering pollen but there must be an abundance of nectar to produce such a hum. Does anyone know what sort of honey it produces?

I’m not sure but my guess is equal amounts of nectar and pollen.

10C33F82-EF11-4D11-8DE6-6521FD0C6A8D.thumb.jpeg.6bb288ca41634de3015ebb630988a278.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dansar said:

Perhaps it is a nectar producer?, it isn’t recognised as a pollen source for bees.

http://www.gw.govt.nz/assets/Land-Management/Akura-Infosheet-Plants-to-attract-bees.pdf
0AF59EEA-C666-4D28-B4B7-EDD774190F91.thumb.jpeg.57f991e5f5b3f47f17d4002b370bad94.jpeg

I have seen them on the flowers with cream pollen sacs. 

I think it was December three years ago that I was walking through the bush on a warm day and I could hear the roaring of bees - I thought there must've been a huge swarm, but it was coming from two huge NZ Oaks up above, they were thick with them.  I got my best honey crop that year, of course not just from them.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I haven't been able to find any references to nectar. have found this though ....

Very interested to see that Muehlenbeckia produces nectar for two months - I have always hated the stuff and have never seen a bee on it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 6:56 AM, Maggie James said:

Looks like there's quite a bit coming in this colour.  I had hoped someone might come in with their opinion as to what it was.  Paul, it might be a good idea to give a bit of a geographic idea as where the hive is, and any other details that might help identify this pollen

check my photo in gallery is it phaecelia? might be spelling badly.

2 hours ago, Jhah said:

check my photo in gallery is it phaecelia? might be spelling badly.

Your excellent photo looks to me like phaecelia, but here in mid Canterbury, a major seed production area, it doesn't to my knowledge flower until now.  I have been out this afternoon photographing large paddocks of flowering phaecelia.