What are bees foraging on at present

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of pollen coming in off the buttercup that has started flowering.

If only all town sections looked like this. I found this today on a lunchtime stroll through a new housing area. Its near an inlet so the sections are built up about 1.5 metres.  This is looking

The lavender will look fabulous, are you going for a purple plant palette? Kings seeds have fabulous plants and their seeds have a high germination rate. Let me know if you want some Lacy phaceli

Posted Images

On 1/10/2020 at 12:04 PM, Bighands said:

Sorry but it seems to flower every year and is hard to keep out of the Kamahi as there is always a cross over.

we are lucky here that the quintinia normally flowers before kamahi with only a slight overlap .

the bees usually eat the quintinia honey.

On 6/10/2020 at 7:57 AM, CHCHPaul said:

There was some conversation about blue pollen previously... not sure what this is off but it was quite striking (not as vibrant in my poor photos)

Looks like there's quite a bit coming in this colour.  I had hoped someone might come in with their opinion as to what it was.  Paul, it might be a good idea to give a bit of a geographic idea as where the hive is, and any other details that might help identify this pollen

32 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Looks like there's quite a bit coming in this colour.  I had hoped someone might come in with their opinion as to what it was.  Paul, it might be a good idea to give a bit of a geographic idea as where the hive is, and any other details that might help identify this pollen

@GoED one for you?

• Agree 2

I get different search results depending on the device and IP address I'm searching from...but here's how I found that.

I googled Pollen colours, clicked on images and selected the best result for this answer. I think this one was in Pinterest.

There was a really good one in a cloud storage type page, but it only loaded 4 of 8 pages without being logged in.

9 minutes ago, Gerry said:

Would you mind telling me where the original full size of that graphic is ?  Would be quite useful.

11 minutes ago, Mummzie said:

I get different search results depending on the device and IP address I'm searching from...but here's how I found that.

I googled Pollen colours, clicked on images and selected the best result for this answer. I think this one was in Pinterest.

There was a really good one in a cloud storage type page, but it only loaded 4 of 8 pages without being logged in.

I did some hunting after seeing your post with the gaphic snippet.

Original is here: 

WWW.NSBKA.ORG

North Shropshire Beekeepers' Association

It's interactive

New to this forum, so not sure how some things work here, ie links.  That is a link to the source of the original graphic.

Edited by Gerry
  • Like 1
39 minutes ago, john berry said:

Does anyone know if the colour of pollen varies with the colour of the flower i.e. white anemones  and blue anemones.

My blue anemones have black pollen.  My white anemones have green/brown pollen, but the neighbours white anemones have black pollen!

I did wonder about black anemone pollen in that photo of ChCh Paul's, but it would have to be a really big patch, maybe it's in a horticulture area of cut flower crop

Hi @Gerry, @Mummzie and @Maggie James,

Busy times in spring - the hives are going crazy and I am continually running out of gear to throw at the girls!

Geographically this photo was taken at the foot of the Port Hills, but as Maggie cleverly points out... I may be near cut flower crops and she is right. Right next door to my apiary in fact, so I would guess a florist might be able to tell us!

• Like 1

My Apple and Avocado trees started flowering a few days ago, Yesterday, I spotted bees in the Avo.

The lavender, Rosemary and Mustard are still pumping.

Cheery tree has been flowering for a week now but havent noticed any bees over there, same with the Pear trees.

• 2 weeks later...