What are bees foraging on at present

51 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

It's a very fine honey.  I used to get it on Huntsbury Hill at my parents, combined with citrus.  Beautiful fine taste, and such a clear honey

I wonder if the  taste varies between different subspecies. Our local one has a distinctive chemical taste similar to brake fluid and people that try it are normally still trying to spit the taste out of their mouths half an hour later. I would rate it as worse than ragwort .

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of pollen coming in off the buttercup that has started flowering.

If only all town sections looked like this. I found this today on a lunchtime stroll through a new housing area. Its near an inlet so the sections are built up about 1.5 metres.  This is looking

The lavender will look fabulous, are you going for a purple plant palette? Kings seeds have fabulous plants and their seeds have a high germination rate. Let me know if you want some Lacy phaceli

Posted Images

3 hours ago, john berry said:

wonder if the  taste varies between different subspecies. Our local one has a distinctive chemical taste similar to brake fluid and people that try it are normally still trying to spit the taste out of their mouths half an hour later. I would rate it as worse than ragwort

That's interesting, because I have had other people in the ChCh area state that it gives a very clear "fine" honey.  It does not appear to be a coarse honey

49 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

I have just googled quintinia.  It looks like we do have a native variety, which is a bit unfortunate.  Hope for you that all this climate change is not positive for quintinia.  

Sorry but it seems to flower every year and is hard to keep out of the Kamahi as there is always a cross over.

3 hours ago, Bighands said:

Sorry but it seems to flower every year and is hard to keep out of the Kamahi as there is always a cross over.

Quintinia didnt have a big flowering around home last year as in the last five or so years. I suspect a big show this year to make up for it. Good to draw out new foundation early on though. 

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
On 4/11/2017 at 4:13 PM, Mummzie said:

20171104_160121-1.jpg.ab169108cc6964f41988e561cf73bbd1.jpg

Cotinus coggygria x obovatus ‘Grace’ – (Purple Smoke Tree)

The air around this tree is alive with foraging girls. Just goes to show big is not always better.

Have to upgrade my camera.  What camera or phone have you taken this on Mummzie?  Cheers

On 30/09/2020 at 8:15 PM, Maggie James said:

What's the white stuff Otto.  Never seen that here in the boondocks

Not really sure sorry. This was from the March sample. One light coloured pollen that does come in that time of the year is Koromiko/Hebe pollen. There's lots of that in our regenerating bush and in suburban gardens. There seem to be multiple shades of light coloured pollen though.

• Like 1
On 1/10/2020 at 7:54 PM, Maggie James said:

Russ - Were they actually collecting pollen in their sacs?  Or do you think it might havwe been propolis gathering?  Have you seen this since

They did it again, this year.

52 minutes ago, Russ said:

They did it again, this year.

Are there no other pollen sources?  I take it, that this is Pinus Radiata?  The cone bearing plants are sources of propolis, but I have never seen my bees working Pinus for pollen.  Is there a stickiness on the pollen that attracts them, if there is nothing else about?

1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

Are there no other pollen sources?  I take it, that this is Pinus Radiata?  The cone bearing plants are sources of propolis, but I have never seen my bees working Pinus for pollen.  Is there a stickiness on the pollen that attracts them, if there is nothing else about?

When I started bee keeping, I was told that bees ignore pine trees, but no one told the bees.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, Russ said:

When I started bee keeping, I was told that bees ignore pine trees, but no one told the bees.

R U in the midst of a forestry or dairying area?  I have never been to Ashurst and am totally unfamiliar with that neck of the woods.  .

The wind borne pollens are light, dry & not nutritious, and my understanding was that if they were found on honey analysis that this pollen is so light it would have been borne by the wind into the hive entrance.  

Do you get a honey crop?

1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

That should prob read - do you get a honey crop in the Ashurst area?  Excuse my ignorance re Ashurst.  

Of course they get a honey crop in Ashhurst.  It would be a pretty unusual place anywhere in New Zealand if they didn't get a honey crop.

Ashurst is spelt with 2 x H's  Therefore Ashhurst is the correct spelling.

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

Bees will collect pine pollen if there is not much else going.

Yes. Bees will collect pine pollen but as @Alastair has said, it is very low on  nutrition.

• Thanks 1

Bees can and do work wind pollinated plants. Two days ago they were threshing the karamu for pollen even though there were other sources available. I agree with everyone else that they have to be pretty desperate to work pine trees however.

I have seen bees collecting horse feed and also tar from the side of the road but I suspect the later was a propolis substitute.

• Good Info 1
22 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Ashurst is spelt with 2 x H's  Therefore Ashhurst is the correct spelling.

Well there you go, learn something new every day. Spent part of my childhood in Manawatu, but never twigged to the 2 h's.

• Like 1