What are bees foraging on at present

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of pollen coming in off the buttercup that has started flowering.

If only all town sections looked like this. I found this today on a lunchtime stroll through a new housing area. Its near an inlet so the sections are built up about 1.5 metres.  This is looking

The lavender will look fabulous, are you going for a purple plant palette? Kings seeds have fabulous plants and their seeds have a high germination rate. Let me know if you want some Lacy phaceli

Posted Images

Everything that is flowering anywhere at the moment seems to be doing so extremely well. We've been pretty lucky with our weather lately, a few showers, here and there. The flowering also seems to be very long. There's promise in them there hills! 

• Like 1

Hoping to see a bit more of that @M4tton our travels today. It was starting slowly up country. The temperature today should be ideal! 

Also hoping to see a bit of Rewarewa too as that was budding last visit. 

Blue skies, happy healthy, gathering beeses. Happy beekeepers!

• Like 1

air is sickly sweet with mahoe scent down  at the beach.

full of bees.

I suppose they are mine , I hope not there is a karaka tree flowering and there were a few bees in it.

the mahoe near the hives in full flower has no bees in it.

my bees in kamahi

WP_20171031_11_29_35_Pro.jpg

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@M4tt is that the right height for clover to flow.

people tell me all sorts of stuff about what conditions clover flows in.

is all this wetness going to have an upside for clover this year.

Good question . I hear the same things . 

That paddock  is an old sawmill site and has rocks and stones under it. It won’t drain in the wet and goes bone dry as soon as the heat of the sun starts , so that clover is constantly stressed and smaller than others in other paddocks . 

It was a warm day of about 18 degrees and the clover was covered in Bees . 

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

The bees were all over this tree this morning. 

I have been told what it is.. don’t recall

Its deciduous and unlike a close species, isn’t left with the lovely red berries

It’s redeemed itself somewhat with so many flowers and the bees buzzing today

DD0FCC25-D4AA-4F7A-AB83-830087184758.thumb.jpeg.0bbc1090ebda88bffcd601187c139c78.jpeg41BC9C01-9424-415A-A4E3-A3C1AA81C8F9.thumb.jpeg.f7166ee5aef36d79f4d6538929290e05.jpeg

• Like 1

Sorry, No @Beefriendly. and my googling hasn't come up with anything useful either. @yesbut is usually pretty good at identifying trees....?

I'm just glad to see a tree still standing- our back neighbours trimmed the trees/shelterbelt on their property at ground level...so what was a lovely sheltering and privacy providing copse of natives on our back fence is gone. Guess who wont be getting any honey this year!!

• Sad 1

Fortunately my Himself has been busy this week so we have a healthy crop of clover and daisies...but rapidly browning off. He is allowed to mow it next weekend just before Xmas visitors arrive. I will also have to relocate the 3 mating nucs off the front deck too. By then our Pohutukawa tree should be in bloom.

• Like 1