What are bees foraging on at present

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of pollen coming in off the buttercup that has started flowering.

If only all town sections looked like this. I found this today on a lunchtime stroll through a new housing area. Its near an inlet so the sections are built up about 1.5 metres.  This is looking

The lavender will look fabulous, are you going for a purple plant palette? Kings seeds have fabulous plants and their seeds have a high germination rate. Let me know if you want some Lacy phaceli

Posted Images

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Sure does it's our horror wind.

The same here.

All our trees are braced for the westerly .  the big windfall is from a soueast wind .

When I was involved in pest control in the area I would never go up into the pines behind me in an easterly.  I saw which way the trees were all lying that  had blown down .

• 4 weeks later...

The bell cherries have just started to bloom up the road and my almond has its first two flowers out. Plum pollination started last week although most are nowhere near out yet. Nice and warm today but blowing a gale. Wattles are well out.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure what this blossom is, but its right behind some of my hives on the flat lands. Didn’t expect spring so early out here. 
AAE45A3A-3ABA-44A1-A1C3-0762A142474E.jpeg.ee1fdb40245b40cea892b5462ca07e31.jpegC1A7867F-D266-4573-926F-2540CC245105.png.75371efd8a8d1f924c01fb0e4d020031.png

Also have heaps of wattle, tree lucerne, quince and Kowhai in the valleys. 

BEF1B6A9-6B4D-4C4D-8194-430E6AFC8716.png.a31b9f81ef8193cad7c633a9d2ff7559.png72E3C9C5-D2FD-4346-BCBD-92A6B0662073.png.d1625096e474400d30acb42ecb6407b4.png15EA6439-1CD0-4951-99DD-CB080E2A8174.png.c4301bc21d25df7dd45d120fd7006680.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CHCHPaul said:

Not sure what this blossom is, but its right behind some of my hives on the flat lands. Didn’t expect spring so early out here. 

Probably plum in that neck of the woods, but that photo ain't great!  

• Agree 1
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, YTB8TA270 said:

Im thinking the same here inland from Hoki. Fuchsia flowering,coming into leaf and bits of Clematis flowering and cabbage trees budding up.. If its a dry summer,might be a Rata season??

Lets hope so but I think it will be January not February

• Agree 1

I learned something interesting recently.

This year my normal brassica sowings didnt do so well-Black Radish/Daikon and Turnips-Milano and Yellow jelly. Instead, I let the brocolli and cauliflower flower....Unlike the others, these do not provide the same quantity of pollen, not do the chinese cabbage, so I am going to have to buy in more seed for next year.

This Spring, the Rosemary is crawling with bees- nectar only, my plants are loaded compared to the ones in the town centre, even though there are more plants in close proximity there- odd.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, southbee said:

Thank you, just googled bay tree and it could be that

High protein pollen.  Bays love soil types similar to the Mediterranean

Sometimes in farm orchards that were planted in the 1800's there are many surprise offerings.  These orchards, as long as they are not enclosed on four sides, often make great mating yards, because they will more than likely have successional flowering

I have had a mating yard in a farm garden and orchard first planted in the 1850s.  It's great.  

That's great info, thank you Maggie and John. Haven't seen one of them in our area before, it's a beautiful tree - and a beautiful site. Not sure when the orchard was planted, might ask the owners next time I'm there. We did have very good matings there!

• Like 1

Are there fruit trees there also?  Cos the early settlers planted so the would have succcessional cropping e.g. different plums the earliest (everything pollinates these) pear varietals (great protein pollen & nectar), different apple varietals (great pollen).  I have a row of elderberries in mine. Elderberries were planted with different alternating varietals to ensure cross pollination.  I have never seen a honey bee on these (the primary pollinator in my area appears to be the hoverfly), but I do know that further south the honey bee does pollinate elderberries.  

Yes, there's pears, apples, walnuts, hazelnuts (which provide really good pollen), elderberries and maybe some more we haven't found yet. I have never seen bees on elderberries either and we're pretty far south. That's one of the pear trees there, it really is awesome.

tree2.png

• Like 4
On 12/09/2020 at 2:23 PM, southbee said:

Would anyone know what this tree is, please? The flowers have a strong scent and the hives smell of it too!

@southbeeThis is a cherry laurel (Prunus laurocerasus). Quite a few around here too. I think they're considered a weed but bees quite like them.

Edited by Otto

@Maggie James You were interested in Barberry flowers? Took these photos here this afternoon.

This is the barberry we have locally (Darwin's barberry). It is coming into flower at the moment. It looks different to the photo @dansar posted in the September diary. This is another quite weedy plant, especially down in the Catlins where some hillsides are covered with it in the same way gorse covers things elsewhere in the country. 

20200918_133518 copy.jpg

20200918_133529 copy.jpg

Edited by Otto
  • Like 4