What are bees foraging on at present

25 minutes ago, Bighands said:

Catsear still flowering in the valley and loads of orange pollen coming in. Drones still flying so can't be too cold yet.

Same here, bright orange pollen fron catsear. While out listening for roaring stags i see a small amount of white rata vine but more red vine still with buds to open. Bees still busy collecting and laying eggs. After such a crap spring maybe we wont have a winter.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of pollen coming in off the buttercup that has started flowering.

If only all town sections looked like this. I found this today on a lunchtime stroll through a new housing area. Its near an inlet so the sections are built up about 1.5 metres.  This is looking

Blimen Heck.  I am at 9235.  I am not going to become a queen. It may be the fashionable thing now days,  But !!!!

Posted Images

1 hour ago, YTB8TA270 said:

Same here, bright orange pollen fron catsear. While out listening for roaring stags i see a small amount of white rata vine but more red vine still with buds to open. Bees still busy collecting and laying eggs. After such a crap spring maybe we wont have a winter.

I saw a white rata with a few flowers still, but really mostly finished weeks ago .

I think we will have a cold winter now .

Probably lots of clear nights and frosts.

Without all the jet exhaust the climate must change

Our crazy kowhai is flowering again outside the dining room window. Riley watches the bell birds hanging upside down. The Tuiswill be along soon once there are enough flowers. Bird TV

• Like 2

Have no bees at home at the moment, but someone else's bees are all over the Ivy and swarming over the glasshouse because I have a solarwax melter in there. Also plenty of wasps.

• 3 weeks later...

I just discovered that what I thought the bees were on wasnt a 7 finger but Japanese Aralia. 

My bumbles seem to have done a runner. Hope they turn up to open up the Pineapple Sage flowers this year.

Normally at this time of the year we get a small red rata vine flow which gives hives near the Bush a little pre winter flow. This year it has almost completely failed. Maybe just too dry?

6 minutes ago, Jamo said:

Normally at this time of the year we get a small red rata vine flow which gives hives near the Bush a little pre winter flow. This year it has almost completely failed. Maybe just too dry?

It flowered early and there is not much happening now .

Just the odd flower .

8 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

It flowered early and there is not much happening now .

Just the odd flower .

Where I am it hardly flowered at all and where it did it was finished very quickly.

I have some just off my front deck which normally flowers right through April and into may. This year nothing.

• Sad 1
  • 1 month later...

We're getting some interesting feeback on this topic as its one of those thats run for a year or two, that it woud be better split. There is currently no concensus, but ideas are:

By month, by region or a mix of both

What would you prefer? Please reply in the poll at

3 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

Our tree lucerne has started flowering again 🤪

Normal. Ours is about to start, and will keep on all winter. The  Kereru have arrived for the season too.

There was a lot of new food in the frames last weekend. Not fresh but uncapped. Some dew from somewhere I couldn't figure it out.

Normally that doesn't happen because this time of the year we already have a lot of rain. But the dry weather gave the opportunity to the bees, and the nature, to play a different game.

We got the rain since monday but I'm happy that the bees topped up their frames in time.

No. They always manage to flower before any arrive. We get hardly any white frost in our valley these days. The pond would get a 2mm freeze up about two days running then that's it. 

• 5 weeks later...

Wattle in BOP and South Waikato are starting to flower. By my recollection that is 5-6 weeks earlier than previous years. Wattle flowering has always been my indicator to start stimulating Queen rearing hives and any that I was wanting to split in spring.

2020 is one weird year.

11 hours ago, dansar said:

Wattle in BOP and South Waikato are starting to flower. By my recollection that is 5-6 weeks earlier than previous years. Wattle flowering has always been my indicator to start stimulating Queen rearing hives and any that I was wanting to split in spring.

2020 is one weird year.

Same here in he bay, seen the manuka flowering a little on the road side, better get the boxes on quick. 

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Same here in he bay, seen the manuka flowering a little on the road side, better get the boxes on quick. 

Hives have been taking in plenty of pollen, wattle flowering here too way earlier than normal.  Manuka doing its Winter flowering thing, have seen bees on it.

18 hours ago, dansar said:

2020 is one weird year.

Same. Chch wattles in full, spectacular, flower. Gums in flower. But no flying weather. These are usually great for pre spring buildup.

Winter has finally hit with highs of 12 and no sunshine predicted for 10 days.