MissEmmz

What are bees foraging on at present

25 minutes ago, Bighands said:

Catsear still flowering in the valley and loads of orange pollen coming in. Drones still flying so can't be too cold yet.

Same here, bright orange pollen fron catsear. While out listening for roaring stags i see a small amount of white rata vine but more red vine still with buds to open. Bees still busy collecting and laying eggs. After such a crap spring maybe we wont have a winter.

1 hour ago, YTB8TA270 said:

Same here, bright orange pollen fron catsear. While out listening for roaring stags i see a small amount of white rata vine but more red vine still with buds to open. Bees still busy collecting and laying eggs. After such a crap spring maybe we wont have a winter.

I saw a white rata with a few flowers still, but really mostly finished weeks ago .

I think we will have a cold winter now .

Probably lots of clear nights and frosts.

Without all the jet exhaust the climate must change

12 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Are the red flowers a sort of marigold ?

Not sure ..... bought them at Mitre 10 in the good old days ......

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Are the red flowers a sort of marigold ?

Antirrhinum - Snap Dragons?

• Thanks 1

When I was out walking yesterday, I noticed a pohutukawa in full flower.  I did not see any bees on it.  Really screwed up season in Manawatu.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Our crazy kowhai is flowering again outside the dining room window. Riley watches the bell birds hanging upside down. The Tuiswill be along soon once there are enough flowers. Bird TV

• Like 2

Have no bees at home at the moment, but someone else's bees are all over the Ivy and swarming over the glasshouse because I have a solarwax melter in there. Also plenty of wasps.

Bumble Bee was busy this arvo

8B8C7E2E-6C9A-49BB-B9E1-A62A8F2FF3E8.jpeg

• Like 1

I just discovered that what I thought the bees were on wasnt a 7 finger but Japanese Aralia. 

My bumbles seem to have done a runner. Hope they turn up to open up the Pineapple Sage flowers this year.

Normally at this time of the year we get a small red rata vine flow which gives hives near the Bush a little pre winter flow. This year it has almost completely failed. Maybe just too dry?

6 minutes ago, Jamo said:

Normally at this time of the year we get a small red rata vine flow which gives hives near the Bush a little pre winter flow. This year it has almost completely failed. Maybe just too dry?

It flowered early and there is not much happening now .

Just the odd flower .

8 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

It flowered early and there is not much happening now .

Just the odd flower .

Where I am it hardly flowered at all and where it did it was finished very quickly.

I have some just off my front deck which normally flowers right through April and into may. This year nothing.

• Sad 1

We're getting some interesting feeback on this topic as its one of those thats run for a year or two, that it woud be better split. There is currently no concensus, but ideas are:

By month, by region or a mix of both

What would you prefer? Please reply in the poll at

Tree Dahlia time of year again....can't quite see the bee & bumble...

20200527_145511 (Medium).jpg

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 2

Our tree lucern has started flowering again 🤪

Hope it doesn’t bring on an early swarming season...

3 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

Our tree lucerne has started flowering again 🤪

Normal. Ours is about to start, and will keep on all winter. The  Kereru have arrived for the season too.

There was a lot of new food in the frames last weekend. Not fresh but uncapped. Some dew from somewhere I couldn't figure it out.

Normally that doesn't happen because this time of the year we already have a lot of rain. But the dry weather gave the opportunity to the bees, and the nature, to play a different game.

We got the rain since monday but I'm happy that the bees topped up their frames in time.

Whitecliffs area .... the road side ornamental cherries are loosing their leaves ...... and flowering.

15 hours ago, yesbut said:

Tree Dahlia time of year again....can't quite see the bee & bumble...

20200527_145511 (Medium).jpg

Frost tolerant .....??

No. They always manage to flower before any arrive. We get hardly any white frost in our valley these days. The pond would get a 2mm freeze up about two days running then that's it.