What are bees foraging on at present

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of pollen coming in off the buttercup that has started flowering.

If only all town sections looked like this. I found this today on a lunchtime stroll through a new housing area. Its near an inlet so the sections are built up about 1.5 metres.  This is looking

Blimen Heck.  I am at 9235.  I am not going to become a queen. It may be the fashionable thing now days,  But !!!!

Posted Images

Good question ..... and to be honest I have no idea ..... as generally the bees go in with with  half a box of dew, clover is flowering, along with the borage ..... and the honey comes  out at a 24 ish colour ...... three boxes of low grade multi floral ..... the nice part is the rental fee.  

1 hour ago, Bighands said:

For the 1st time in many years the Westland quintinia has not flowered and I do not think the Kamahi is going to do itys thing.I am talking about the Otira valley.The Kamahi is flowering in the Taramakau but not the Otira so chances of a S. Rata showing are very slim. Bye the way it is still raining and temps are forecast low teens.

Coast Manuka must be pouring in .... right ?

11 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Coast Manuka must be pouring in .... right ?

No way manuka would produce in current coast weather.

Even though its flowering as good as I have seen .

1 hour ago, Bighands said:

For the 1st time in many years the Westland quintinia has not flowered and I do not think the Kamahi is going to do itys thing.I am talking about the Otira valley.The Kamahi is flowering in the Taramakau but not the Otira so chances of a S. Rata showing are very slim. Bye the way it is still raining and temps are forecast low teens.

That sucks for you .

Kamahi has pretty much finished here. Had a really good flower .

The rata just starting , plenty of buds .

Just need a month of sunny windless weather

24 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

Just curious, what does radish honey taste like ?

Mustard honey is pretty nice , I think raddish would be similar .

Quite a light honey .

• Agree 1
  • 1 month later...

Ive just got in from a drive down the western access road  (32)and over to Omori
I see hives returning from the Manuka siting in the barren  scorched paddocks.

What stood out was the poor state of the Koromiko, its about 1/3 it's usual self.

Id say that there's barely a drop of nectar in anything for the Hives to put away for winter.
If this season draws out like the previous two then the Bees will be flying for 3 months yet, all for nothing.

Just burning stores and spreading Mites

Edited by Philbee
  • Sad 1
6 hours ago, Philbee said:

Ive just got in from a drive down the western access road  (32)and over to Omori
I see hives returning from the Manuka siting in the barren  scorched paddocks.

What stood out was the poor state of the Koromiko, its about 1/3 it's usual self.

Id say that there's barely a drop of nectar in anything for the Hives to put away for winter.
If this season draws out like the previous two then the Bees will be flying for 3 months yet, all for nothing.

Just burning stores and spreading Mites

Its going to rain all next week .

Normally that would really annoy me but right now I am.ok with that .

5 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Its going to rain all next week .

Normally that would really annoy me but right now I am.ok with that .

I wonder if the Koromiko will come back to life?

In our deep gorge its fine but out on the flat land in the drying wind its fried 

Edited by Philbee
49 minutes ago, Philbee said:

I wonder if the Koromiko will come back to life?

In our deep gorge its fine but out on the flat land in the drying wind its fried 

My bush hebes are fine but I noticed a couple of ornamental hebes on a dry bank are looking a bit sick .

The ground here has finally lost its moisture so the rain has come just in time .

I think we will be one of the last places adversely affected by climate change.

Everything here is used to adapting to difficult  conditions .

8 hours ago, Bighands said:

Red Rata Vine is flowering in Greymouth. This tells me autumn is here. This is the last plant to flower in the bush before winter.

The white rata vine has just burst out in flower this last week here along with five finger and broard leaf. Bees very happy when sunny. No red vine flowers yet.

3 hours ago, YTB8TA270 said:

The white rata vine has just burst out in flower this last week here along with five finger and broard leaf. Bees very happy when sunny. No red vine flowers yet.

Our white rata finishing early I think.

Some red vine flowering but bees are never so interested in that .

5 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Our white rata finishing early I think.

Some red vine flowering but bees are never so interested in that .

White Rata,Koromiko and Lancewood is full on now. Definitely later than last couple of years.Had extracted  and had Bayvarol strips in by this time last year. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Maggie James said:

Yesterday it was great to see that the gorse hedges have started flowering again; now that the hot temperatures have abated and we are getting atmospheric dew at night.  Also lots of hawkbit on road verges

In the lovely calm warm sunny weather we are having my bees have decided that the closest forage is each others hives .

I have reduced entrances so there is no robbing , just lots of try hard bees around the top honey box .

• Agree 1
52 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

In the lovely calm warm sunny weather we are having my bees have decided that the closest forage is each others hives .

I have reduced entrances so there is no robbing , just lots of try hard bees around the top honey box .

Ha ha no migrants to blame this time !!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 4